SAU Community

500kw through a Catalytic Converter. am I dreaming?

500kw through a Catalytic Converter. am I dreaming?

Hey Guys,

EFR8374 is going on the gtr over the next few weeks, power will be in the 460-500kw @ wheels range. 3.5" exhaust all the way. is a 5" metal cat going to do it?

otherwise use a straight pipe for the track, and run a cat on the street?

alternative is this i guess:

Nizpro-Exhaust-Cat-01.jpg

Edited by burn4005

People use 100 cell cats which are probably not compliant anyway  so you could just use a fake cat. You usually have enough to do on a track day without swapping out your cat.

• 2 weeks later...

Plumb both gates after the cat.. so on cruise and stuff all the exhaust gasses go through the cat, when you crack the gates it just bypasses the cat.

Yes you might have some restriction but much better than having everything going into the cat(s).

This is what I've done to mine, but not at your power levels. 3.5" from turbo to cat, then after the cat it goes all 3".

Surprisingly it still was able to put out a basic 372kW, would have made more but I would have blown the stock motor much earlier on.

20160518_185019.jpg

Can absolutely be done without too many problems, I run 450KW through a 100 cell cat at the moment (twin 3" dumps into a 100 cell cat on a 3.5" system with mufflers) without any issues.

A 4"+ front pipe from the dump to your cat would be a great idea and definitely recommended with the system necking down to a 3.5" system after the cat.

Doing it in 4" the whole way would flow better but will be significantly more expensive (decent quality, non "Alibaba special" mufflers cost $$$), possibly be a bit of a pain to package under the car and can be difficult to get to non cop baiting noise levels.

Edited by baron_von_bootsector
missed a plus