SAU Community

Worth tuning R33 Series 2

Worth tuning R33 Series 2

Recently purchased my R33 Series 2. It has "120,xxxkm" probably double that. 

I want to tune my car to 250-280rwkw. But I have been warned being a 20 year old engine and unknown previous condition it is not worth the cost. 

It will cost about $8k to tune it to this power level. 

What should I be looking out for and is 280 rwkw considered "safe" should I be looking at the gearbox for issues with this power level especially the clutch I'm guessing?

Right now car is stock running 7psi. 

• Like 2

Plenty of people making more than 300kw with unopened engine and stock gearbox. Is it "safe"? No telling - up to you if you want to take the risk but do a compression test and service. You willl as stated need a new clutch sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Yep. Do a compression test. If it passes ok and has consistently cy between cylinders then start tuning. Stock internal R33 RB25DET is one of the best bang for buck tuning engines you can get.

Gearbox will be fine but throw some new oil in. Flush the coolant, get a good radiator, keep the stock shroud. Flush the oil with diesel oil (not fuel) and put some good oil in. Then proceed.

Worth tuning R33 Series 2 Recently purchased my R33 Series 2. It has "120,xxxkm" probably double that. 
I want to tune my car to 250-280rwkw. But I have been warned being a 20 year old engine and unknown previous condition it is not worth the cost. 
It will cost about $8k to tune it to this power level. 
What should I be looking out for and is 280 rwkw considered "safe" should I be looking at the gearbox for issues with this power level especially the clutch I'm guessing?
Right now car is stock running 7psi.