SAU Community

Tyre to front bumper clearance differs from L to R sides- Why?!

ausdrift

So I've gone to get an alignment and long story short they ballsed it. The only useful thing they could show me was that the amount of space between the front tyre and front bumper is different on the left to the right. So with the same caster setting I will have, eg, 3 fingers width from front tyre to front bumper on one side and 4 fingers on the other.

Why is this? I haven't had any accident or big hits that I can remember.

So the real questions it, what can I do to fix it so that its balanced each side. I believe it may have to do with the front subframe? But I don't know what could be out of balance or what to adjust so that this is equal. Note this isn't something which an alignment will fix, as it can be aligned equal on each side, but this condition will still occur. 

I cant get the alignment i want as with that much caster the tyre scrubs on one side, hence the need for a fix

You need to talk with my friend Mr Hammer. Has fixed this type of problem many times.

1 hour ago, blind_elk said:

Caster is measured in degrees, not fingers.

Really? I did not know this...

As mentioned the problem is that one tyre is rubbing against the front plastic inner guard while the other doesn't.

and If I am to use Mr Hammer, where are you suggesting I use it?

I get that you probably think everyone is not being that helpful, but basically everyone deals with this sort of issue in the same way. Its actually the body that is in the wrong place compared to the wheels, so you fix where the body is. It is perfectly normal for medium to high caster to rub on the inner guard liner, it is fixed by removing the inner guard liner.

after that it will hit the lip on the guard which you fix with a guard roller (or hammer if you prefer...)

after that it will hit where the front bumper joins the guard which requires angle grinder on the guard and bumper and holding it on some less intrusive way like drift spec cable tie stitches

after that you are trying to get too much camber for a stock body, time to change the uprights and control arms.

• Like 1