SAU Community

Variables to buying an R33 GTR

Variables to buying an R33 GTR

Alright so just before I start, I’d like to make it clear that I am not yet in the position to purchase an R33 GT-R. However, here are a few I am considering to save for over the next 18 months. Please tell me what you think, what traps I may be falling for. Obviously, you need to fully inspect the cars to really know what’s going on, however from what you can see are any of these vehicles worth taking another step towards?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-1995/SSE-AD-4577525/?Cr=1

After reading the article following the above link, real information on the car is quite limited and for $32,000 I’m not satisfied with what’s up for offer. The dents and scratches are frustrating, the odometer not functioning leaves we wondering if “mileage tinkering” has been attempted to sell the vehicle for a higher price. After reviewing photos of this vehicle I’d imagine is interior has been pretty well maintained given the age of the car. Then again, I plan to change the interior entirely, probably not leather. But I want the car to feel special when you sit inside it, not basic and dull. The engine has not been cleaned, Id suspect issues with rust. “no major modifications” could be close to a stock R-33 encouraging the price of 32,000 although there isn’t enough information to really know. Just an example car, I doubt I’d have $40,000 for the vehicle within 18 months but this is what I’d expect to see when I look at an engine, look how clean it is, If I can manage to save the 40,000 and given the army accommodate for your living needs to some extent this purchase would be extremely tempting. Probably not very smart though, can’t imagine I’d be left with much money afterwards.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-1997/SSE-AD-3945941/?Cr=10 

Wow ok here is one that is really catching my eye:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-1996/SSE-AD-4151343/?Cr=12

There is not an awful lot of information of on the car but what a steal for the money. Only 71,000km no scratches and dents from what I can see. I would take a step towards this car to fully inspect for rust and when the opportunity comes and when I am ready to purchase the car and if this particular model is available I’d pay a third-party inspector to complete a full run through. Also posting photos on SAU to hopefully gain from the experience and knowledge all members are willing to share with me.

Here is one from gumtree, quite disappointed over the front bumper and only one photo of the engine. 131,465km. he’s just down in Tuggeranong which is pretty close to me. Probably go have a look but he’s only keen for serious buyers. Seems too dodgy, I would not consider purchasing this vehicle.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Jerry

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-1995/SSE-AD-4577525/?Cr=1

Potentially ok, needs an in depth chat about the kms and the "history". It will need work, but the seller has indicated that. On the face of it probably not a good GTR for a first time owner. (IMO)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-1997/SSE-AD-3945941/?Cr=10 

This car looks legit, seems to be owned by someone who knows about GTRs and would expect to get what they are asking for the car. If you have this much money, this would be a good start. Of course, as with all cars, have it inspected, but from what I can see this looks like a legitimate sale with no tricks/nonsense being pulled. Worth your time to investigate.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-1996/SSE-AD-4151343/?Cr=12

I contacted this person a long time ago, I couldn't confirm the kms (they have no paperwork) and the car was interstate so I passed. It has been climbing in price for around 12-18 months. This could be ok, I would suggest you would need to see this one in person. This car is not good value (IMO) when compared to the car above. But as always, it's what you want and what you are willing to pay. There may be nothing wrong with this at all, its time on the market may be the thing that is stopping it from being sold at this point. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/franklin/cars-vans-utes/r33-skyline/1140467265

This earns a solid "No". It isn't a GTR and doesn't look wonderful. If you want a GTR, please don't worry about any GTS-t models.

Also I think we talked in PM. Most cars you want to buy aren't technically up for sale. Generally you pop up a Wanted to buy. Word gets around behind the scenes and then, sure enough, someone who has a car tucked away in shed says, "yeah, I think it's time to move it on", gets in touch with you, and you agree to buy a car that is in excellent condition and wasn't really for sale until you asked around and for a price that you and the seller both like. (<Sometimes anyways).

• Like 1

If anything giving young kids the opportunities to handle high powered cars is really what gets them killed vs than looking after them. 

I'm just going to have to be very careful. I'll constantly ask what modifications I should and should not perform. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

im glad i didnt have my gtr when i was 20
either it or me would be in pieces. 

i got into enough trouble in the shitboxes i could afford.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 10:12 AM, GH05T said:

i got into enough trouble in the shitboxes i could afford.

I also fit into this category. I sometimes think about the dumb/reckless situations i got in and thank the universe that i'm still here.

• Like 1

I'm just going to put this out there. In 18 months it's likely that none of those cars will still be available and prices are still going to increase. So I wouldn't even bother sussing out any cars until I'm actually in the position to go and buy it

• Like 2

Well I'm just waiting on my current car to sell then I'll be ready and that purple 33 from Queensland has got my attention, looks very clean. Only thing I'm sus on is the comment about not ever taking it over 5000rpm???

• 1 month later...

All GTR's are good cars just a matter of preference and staggering to know how they rise in $ in recent times.

As it was said before you are better off waiting until you have the savings before you start looking so you know where you stand.

If I was in your shoes I would be open minded to other cars e.g Evo great value for money and parts are readily available - food for thought