SAU Community

Braking upgrade

2 hours ago, Adz2332 said:

what class do you run?

T - over 3001cc Modified

Also I'd be very surprised if your rims didn't fit over the 8 pot 355mm BBKs from ATTKD/D2 etc. 17's won't fit, but most 18s will. It would be the spoke design that would stop it, if anything.

You still haven't said if you replaced your brake fluid with new high temp stuff. If you didn't there would be a fairly high water content and it wouldn't take much to get boiling and subsequent loss of braking power.

For some reason D2 suspension is rubbish that breaks easily but my D2 brakes performed well on the track (and street).

• Like 1

I run a set of stock R32 GTR brakes at the moment with RBF600 braided lines and some 800 degree pads.

They are ok. But in order to chase for quicker times. I am starting to find them wanting.

Have decided to go with the Alpha Omega 350mm Evo brake upgrade. Heard great things about them.

yer at the mo im weighing up the options and also the prices will list some here. all of these are fronts only. comes with everything

evo 9 brakes $700ish including pads and rotors brake lines all with meat still left on it. adaptors $350

Baer brakes ??

Wilwood ??

AP ??

G4 - 8Pot 330mm $2999

ATTKD - 4pot 304x28 $1799

4pot 330x32 $1949

6pot 330x32 $1999

BIG 6pot 330x32 $2149

Big 6pot 356x32 $2199

8pot 356x32 $2199

8pot 380x32 $2299

Big 8pot 380x34 $2599

D2 - street 8pot 356 $2050

- Street 8pot 330 $1840

-  Street 6pot 304 $2000 

- Street 6pot 286 $1600

- Race 8pot 421 $4900

-Race 8pot 400 $3440

-Race 8pot 380 $3080

-Race 6pot 356 $2200

- Race 6pot 330 $2050

- Race 4Pot $1800

-Race 4pot 286 $1750

K-Sport - 6pot 286 $1799

- 6pot 304 $1899

-S8pot 380 $3700

-S8pot 400 $4600

-8pot 330 $1999 

-8pot 356 $2299

I was out at Mallala on Sat aswell - I was in the white 33.  I came over to your pits at lunch to say hello but you weren't there

21 hours ago, GeeDog said:

You haven't said what fluid you are using, or how old it is. It's probably worth starting with a fluid flush, using a decent high-temp fluid (RBF600 as per Duncan's suggestion, or even better RBF660). The other worthwhile upgrade is ventilation - get as much air flowing through the brakes as you can.

The ATTKD brakes are good - we run the 8 pot / 355mm kit on a similar car & are very happy with it. We've got the stock rear brakes, and have no plans to change them - they are working fine with the 8 pot fronts. I wouldn't bother stuffing around with used Brembos. The airflow & fluid suggestions will still apply with a BBK.

How many laps are the sessions you're doing? 

Have you considered entering a Supersprint at Mallala - the next one is on July 16th. Supp Regs are at Supp Regs - there should be at least 2 R33s running.

I was out at practice on the w.e and absolutely loved it.  What is the difference between practice and MSCA days ?  What is the format, costing, minimum safety level and lap times etc

thanks

28 minutes ago, R377 said:

I was out at Mallala on Sat aswell - I was in the white 33.  I came over to your pits at lunch to say hello but you weren't there

oh damn! we had a big group of us. about 10 cars. think at lunch i was helping under an excel lol.

Its actually way more relaxed and no real ummm dickhead hero types out there which is nice also! will defs give it a crack again.

did you have a lap timer? i just used a downloadable app on my phone that worked really well.

The best i got was a 1.24.142 but really struggled all day with the brakes and getting the tyre pressure right

• Like 1

That's a very good time.  I was in the same group as you but didnt see u out there.  My mrs said you looked and sounded fast.

I have an old school phone and used a stopwatch.  You can get some app device hire thing out there that does speeds and g meter etc

Have u uploaded any vids for me to see ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R377 said:

What is the difference between practice and MSCA days

Getting a bit off topic, so I'll keep it fairly brief.

MSCASA is a Supersprint. Cars are grouped & gridded by nominated lap time, so the cars around you should be running very similar lap times. Grids are up to 18 cars. It is a standing start, 2 cars (side by side) start together and "drag" to turn 1 - whoever is behind has to yield. The next pair of cars are started a few seconds later, and so on until all cars are moving. No overtaking under brakes (ie into corners) or in corners, but allowed coming out of corners & on the straights. You do 5 laps, then come in. Each group has 4 runs (of 5 laps) for the day. It is a CAMS event, so you need an L2S licence, and need to be member of a CAMS car club. There are firies, ambos & a recovery vehicle present, along with flag marshals & officials. Cars are scrutineed just like any other CAMS event. Timing is done with Dorian transponders (so lap times are recorded to 4 decimal places - ie 1:20.8997. Mobile phone apps usually only accurate to the nearest second), and each driver has to have a Dorian after their first event. Lap times are usually between 1:15 & 1:40. The event is run better than the track days I've been to, & I think it's safer. If you aren't doing anything on the 16th, come out and have a look. 

Back on topic - if you buy a 380mm kit you may not  fit your wheels over it.

Edited by GeeDog
  • Like 1

Think ill try the evo 9 brakes.
Will it work with standard rears? And standard master cylinder etc?

Will work with rears.

Need to get the bigger master cylinder. For it to work better.

If you can get the rears as well. Then you can run 350mm front and rear.

37 minutes ago, Hadouken said:

Remember. 5 6 7 8 9. All the same

My only thing with that is the newer the better condition id imagine

What master cylinders are out there n work?