SAU Community

Target 400 RWKW RB25 DET Torque Plate?

Tangles01

Hi,

I've done some searching and couldn't find a response, sorry if it does exist or if this has been discussed already. I'm building an engine currently for my time attack car. I'm a control freak and want to manage all of the build that i possibly can. However I am not a machine shop so don't have that gear. I've got a machine shop lined up and intend to have my block torque plate machined. Meaning that the rings should also be gaped with a torque plate. So I should provide them with the rings etc and have them gaped. My problem with that is I cannot then check those without the torque plate at home. Now I've just had a light bulb moment... Why not bolt the head on and gap the ring from the underside as I'll have the bare block on a stand. Am I missing something? Is there any reason I cannot do this? Am I an idiot for thinking this is a good idea? Any engine builders or experienced guys want to poke holes in it? I can think of some small negatives but nothing drastic really, just having to reach further in with the feeler gauges, might be harder to square them while deeper in and poor light really. apart from that... I can't see why not? Admin sorry if I'm in the wrong topic, seemed to be the best one.

8 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

You can do it that way.  But given how often your machinist probably needs his RB torque plate, you could probably just borrow it for a week.

That would be idea, but I've never used these guys before, don't know if they'd be down with that. I know if I was them I wouldn't load one out, different story for a long time customer or someone you know personally.

Whats a 400kw torque plate?

I dont build engines or machine things. Are there different kinds of torque plates for different power applications? Just curious thats all.

Edited by Cyko34

34 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

He's just advising that his target for the engine is 400kW and that is supposed to provide background on how important the idea of using the torque plate when doing the rings is.

Correct, just emphasizing the fact it will need to be right, if I was just slamming together a fresh stockie I wouldn't both with any toque plate at all, let along using one while trying to gap the rings. But for this I am going to a great deal of time and effort to make the engine as efficient, safe and powerful as I can within reason and for my goals.

On 9/20/2017 at 9:23 PM, Tangles01 said:

That would be idea, but I've never used these guys before, don't know if they'd be down with that. I know if I was them I wouldn't load one out, different story for a long time customer or someone you know personally.

If  you are going to use them for the machining you could give them a cash deposit.

To just say that a torque plate is required to adequately measure ring gap is not necessarily the best way to approach this issue you are spending an excessive amount of time investigating. There are so many other factors that require consideration. Fuel used? Target rpm? Target boost? Target CR? Combustion chamber and piston crown design? Engine block prep? Parent bore or Ductile iron sleeve? Piston to bore clearances used? The list just goes on and on. If you are so hung up on a torque plate and making sure the deck is square and bore is true, measure it all and make a decision from there. If this is all a bit much for just working out ring gaps, get it to an experienced builder. 

On 9/23/2017 at 5:36 AM, KiwiRS4T said:

If  you are going to use them for the machining you could give them a cash deposit.

Yeah, another good idea, I'll see how I go, but also good to have the backup plan, no-one can poke a hole in the upside down access whit the head bolted on yet, so I know I can do it if needed. Cheers.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:52 AM, Tangles01 said:

Hi,

I've done some searching and couldn't find a response, sorry if it does exist or if this has been discussed already. I'm building an engine currently for my time attack car. I'm a control freak and want to manage all of the build that i possibly can. However I am not a machine shop so don't have that gear. I've got a machine shop lined up and intend to have my block torque plate machined. Meaning that the rings should also be gaped with a torque plate. So I should provide them with the rings etc and have them gaped. My problem with that is I cannot then check those without the torque plate at home. Now I've just had a light bulb moment... Why not bolt the head on and gap the ring from the underside as I'll have the bare block on a stand. Am I missing something? Is there any reason I cannot do this? Am I an idiot for thinking this is a good idea? Any engine builders or experienced guys want to poke holes in it? I can think of some small negatives but nothing drastic really, just having to reach further in with the feeler gauges, might be harder to square them while deeper in and poor light really. apart from that... I can't see why not? Admin sorry if I'm in the wrong topic, seemed to be the best one.

One thing you are forgetting is that there will ( should ) be a mains girdle in place when the block is bored/honed and this should be in place also when setting the ring gaps with the torque plate on.You will find it pretty difficult with the mains girdle in place to get in there from underneath...

Jason

On 9/30/2017 at 12:45 PM, infomotive said:

One thing you are forgetting is that there will ( should ) be a mains girdle in place when the block is bored/honed and this should be in place also when setting the ring gaps with the torque plate on.You will find it pretty difficult with the mains girdle in place to get in there from underneath...

Jason

No not forgetting the mains being bolted up, yep will be a pain in the arse, but has been considered. If i decide to do it this way I'll let everyone know how much of a pain it is and If i think it's worth it lol.