SAU Community

Easy reliable and cheap

Mitch93

Define your terms.  Easy, reliable and cheap mean very different things to different people.  "Reasonably quick" is also a very rubbery term.

It's very simple though without changing the turbo.  You can perhaps get up to ~200rwkW (depending on the dyno!) on the stocker, but you won't do it well without an intercooler and you won't do it at all on stock management.  You need to have a way to dial out the horrible R&R that the R33 ECU will cripple you with if you try.

30-40HP is in the realms of possibility without changing anything - just adding boost.  But stock boost is 7 psi and the limit is not much more than 10 before the ECU starts to rape you from behind.

It's not exactly same same with an R33 RB25, but my Neo is stock.  I have a bigger cooler, good dump pipe and ~12 psi.  And Nistune.  Without the tuneability I would not be able to run that much boost.  It started to get evil at 10.  On a sensible DD dyno mine did ~190rwkW recently, on 98.  There's not a lot more available without risking breaking the turbo.  Anything more serious requires at least a turbo, and an AFM or a complete new ECU to get rid of the AFM, and injectors.

Edited by GTSBoy

R33s suck for ECU.  You have to get an ECU from another model (Z32 or R32 typically) and put a Nistune board in that, because the R33 ECU is a stupid orphan that even Nissan don't love.  Work on it being >$1000 to get an ECU into it and turned.  Turning the boost up costs very little. You just need a cheap boost controller.  A decent (electronic) boost controller will cost you a few hundred.

• Thanks 1