SAU Community

Headlight restoration 32 N1

I have cleaned the cloudy film off of mine with (believe it or not) Repellex personal insect repellant from Aldi. I used an old tee-shirt that didn't shed fibres. applied the Repellex to the cloth not the headlight, kept the cloth wet and worked fast, then used a baby oil soaked cloth to keep the surface moist. Wiped off oil then polished the lens with plastic polish. You must polish the lens often with car wax or they get cloudy again quickly. Did this in a cool shaded place if they are hot the cloth sticks. Strange but true!!

• 2 weeks later...

32's are Glass I believe unlike your plastic ones.

the plastic are a real PITA

glass holds up much better but cost more so car builders moved to them.

the 20yo headlights in my S14 are heaps better than the sub 10 yo ones in wife's Mazda.

but back on topic What's wrong with the headlights themselves is it scratched sandblasted chipped?

glass will be much harder, you will still need to sand down then finish up with a Cerium Oxide glass polishing kit.

basiclly work your way down in Sandpaper to very fine, then polish with the Cerium,

it won't be quick or easy, but it is doable.

best write up I could find:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/143993-diy-fog-light-sanding-refinishing-pics.html

4 hours ago, PranK said:

Please post how you go, this would be really helpful to lots of R31 & R32 owners. 

There are a couple of threads for retrofitting, but I'll create a thread on how to take headlights apart... Once I become un-lazy.

• 1 year later...

Wow. I posted in response to a slightly inane followup and that post is gone, leaving mine sitting there straight after my previous post.

Weird.

I am prompted to ask something.....are the N1 lenses perhaps plastic, not glass? You know, for lightness?

• 4 months later...