SAU Community

R33 Gts-t ebay "direct fit" turbo replacement aftermath

hey_aleks

Actually runs pretty sweet, only running 8 psi straight to the internal wastegate that came with it. Was $250 and comes with a year warranty (they say that you need to send the turbo back for inspection/rebuilding if it has issues but if you just complain they send you a free replacement). It sounds so much better than the stock 25det turbo.

Heres a vid of a quick pull in my auto:

Actually runs pretty sweet, only running 8 psi straight to the internal wastegate that came with it. Was $250 and comes with a year warranty (they say that you need to send the turbo back for inspection/rebuilding if it has issues but if you just complain they send you a free replacement). It sounds so much better than the stock 25det turbo.

Heres a vid of a quick pull in my auto:

Did originally have the bov blocked (for the gobbles) but it was running rich when shifting.

Will get a proper photo of the hot side after but it looks stock if you don't know RBs. Used the factory hard lines, had to slightly modify the factory rubber intake since the ebay turbo has a 3" inlet not a 2.25" or whatever it is but it wasn't too hard.

Used OEM gaskets of course, toss out the ebay ones. The turbo comes with a restrictor built in so you can just bolt the factory oil feed hard line on. 20180912_110404.jpg

• Like 1

Damn, same came in here expecting a blown turbo and possibly a hole in the block too.

Disappointed lol.

Serious note, does it come on early ish? And your tacho, just take it apart and pull the needle back to 0 RPM also check the motor circuit solder isn't cracked, I resoldered mine and the gauge works well now.

Damn, same came in here expecting a blown turbo and possibly a hole in the block too.
Disappointed lol.
Serious note, does it come on early ish? And your tacho, just take it apart and pull the needle back to 0 RPM also check the motor circuit solder isn't cracked, I resoldered mine and the gauge works well now.
Feels a few hundred rpms laggier compared to the stock turbo (i'd say similar to a hks 2530 I had on my old car).

Did a bit of reading and people who run smaller ebay turbos say that they are quite reliable when not going over 14 psi so I think it's a great alternative to the 25 year old stock ones going around for $150-250.

Yeah mate my rev needle goes crazy but I haven't bothered trying to fix it. I've never soldered but I do have a spare cluster with a working tacho so might swap it over to this cluster.
  • Like 1

I agree. Even if it only lasts a few years, $200 every now and then aint a deal breaker imo.
Yeah man that's it. If the turbo fails within 12 months you get a free replacement and If it lives for over a year that's money well spent.

Also when I received the turbo, it had some sort of clear coat sprayed all over it (including the rear turbine). The car slightly smoked for a few mins from the engine bay and and exhaust until it all burnt off after a quick drive.

Before I went for the drive, I messaged the ebay seller about the startup smoke just to see what they would say and here's the response, they'd rather send you a new one for 50 instead of having to return and rebuild it lol. Screenshot_20180917-112802_eBay.jpg
  • Like 1

Not to hijack thread, but I have the exact turbo that I never used if anyone wants to buy it xD
Brand new still in plastic! $100 take it off my hands.
What state are you in mate? They go for 150-200 if not used in SA, you should try fb marketplace.