SAU Community

Block pcv after catch can install

7 hours ago, drifter17a said:

update, pcv removed and redone the fittings and situation is considerably better with minimal oil

i bought a second 2 liter catch can

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-2-Litre-Oil-Catch-Can-Tank-Reservoir-with-Billet-Aluminium-Cap-Black/222719067847?hash=item33db1746c7:g:-lEAAOSwyXNaEqW1

i have a moshimoto 3 port so a waste to through it away so how i am planning to do it is 2 input from rocker to ins on the moshimoto then output from moshimoto to the newely bought 2 liter can and then output from that can to air .

so messiness should be minimised.

has anyone here got two catch cans or see an issue with such setup ?

Good plan. I have at one point run 2 catch cans until I worked out a better set up.  Some of the Japanese race cars used to run an air oil separator as well as a catch can although a modern air oil separator can make the catch can superfluous (at a much greater cost). But final output should be to the intake not to atmosphere.

Since i have blocked pcv, there is clouds of white smoke on idle and when rev stationary

tuner said i could block it and i did but hell a lot of white smoke, anyone?

it is not there when engine is reved or at least minimal

can it be signs of gasket going?

12 hours ago, drifter17a said:

update, pcv removed and redone the fittings and situation is considerably better with minimal oil

i bought a second 2 liter catch can

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-2-Litre-Oil-Catch-Can-Tank-Reservoir-with-Billet-Aluminium-Cap-Black/222719067847?hash=item33db1746c7:g:-lEAAOSwyXNaEqW1

i have a moshimoto 3 port so a waste to through it away so how i am planning to do it is 2 input from rocker to ins on the moshimoto then output from moshimoto to the newely bought 2 liter can and then output from that can to air .

so messiness should be minimised.

has anyone here got two catch cans or see an issue with such setup ?

How is the baffling inside that puppy?

5 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

Inaide the carch can?

Yes mate, inside.

There may be witness markes on the outside from internal welds.

Or, at the very least, internal piping at the "in" which stops it just going straight "out".

If it's hollow it won't do alot, better than nothing I suppose.

Your Mishimoto can has a filter and a baffle I believe to strip out the oil in the air.

3 hours ago, mlr said:

Your Mishimoto can has a filter and a baffle I believe to strip out the oil in the air. 

mlr is talking about the new catch can you bought.

Hi 

fixed the cloud of white smoke by plugging pcv back

when unplugged, i noticed lots of fume coming out from breather rocker cover and catch can filter

it is one way and only sees vacumme and shuts on boost

me thinking what is it that is causing significant pressure build up in the crank

here is pic of my setup

Two rocker cover to catch can and then breathe to air

after plugging pcv back, i still see smoke and white i think but a lot less which is coming on when i come off the throttle

what the hell is going on, i am not sure

can faulty turbo seals pressurise the crank?

9ECC1DC7-027E-4F2A-8BB8-18E5ED77A831.jpeg

870BFC79-E97F-4022-AF1E-C49CE16CD138.jpeg

45 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

Hi 

fixed the cloud of white smoke by plugging pcv back

when unplugged, i noticed lots of fume coming out from breather rocker cover and catch can filter

it is one way and only sees vacumme and shuts on boost

me thinking what is it that is causing significant pressure build up in the crank

here is pic of my setup

Two rocker cover to catch can and then breathe to air

after plugging pcv back, i still see smoke and white i think but a lot less which is coming on when i come off the throttle

what the hell is going on, i am not sure

can faulty turbo seals pressurise the crank?

9ECC1DC7-027E-4F2A-8BB8-18E5ED77A831.jpeg

870BFC79-E97F-4022-AF1E-C49CE16CD138.jpeg

That filter near the turbo is concerning. That would be allowing unmetered air into the engine, leaning it out. It really should be blocked.

• Like 2

it is using map not maf so air is measured from vacumme side.

maf has been removed and replaced with 4 bar link map sensor which can be seen behind the break lines as it is bolted to the panel

i am really not sure of what is going on as i now don't have any smoke like before nor on boost 

it does however sometime comes on when I let the throttle go / come off it after boost but not during boost and it seems to be blue I think which people say it indicate turbo seal issues but my turbo has been rebuilt 200 miles ago!

then I am not sure why I have so much fume from pcv when lot of people block it. if i block it my car runs like a tractor as there is tons and tons of white smoke? 

it seems it needs the vacumme to suck it in and burn it

I think..

To much vacum to the motor!

Pcv or vacum breather setup. As you now see.

Is that filter on the inlet side of the turbo?
It looks like its on the boost feed nipple to the actuator wich is on the turbo outlet side and would cause a giant boost leak.

Where is the waste gate feed active nipple ?

6 hours ago, drifter17a said:

yes it is on intake side replacing the return of the rocker cover to engine .

rather than leaving it as it is, i did put a filter on it .

waste gate is feeding from standard place which is on intake pipe ( stock rb25)

You get away with that with a map ecu, but it is better to block it rather than filter there

Planning to and have bought end cap waiting for it to arrive

however that isn’t causing the issue i am seeing

what I have seems to be lots of fume/ gas from pcv 

i think if i control it then I will stop seeing the smoke . I have bought a seperate catch can to run it in closed loop( pcv to catch can in and catch can out to inlet manifold)

i noticed when pcv was blocked , car was a lot torquier and more responsive. 

For people with a bit more mechanical knowledge, why would you ser lots of fume and maybe less of oil?

have a look at this

The guy has installed a secondary pcv so engine breathes. It seems to me he has drilled a hole and installed the pcv, i guess that is something to try but bot sure on what area of the rocker or even if it is needed as i have seen 500-600 hp cars with standard breather/ pcv setup

Edited by drifter17a

11 hours ago, Slap said:

I think..

To much vacum to the motor!

Pcv or vacum breather setup. As you now see.

Is that filter on the inlet side of the turbo?
It looks like its on the boost feed nipple to the actuator wich is on the turbo outlet side and would cause a giant boost leak.

Where is the waste gate feed active nipple ?

it cant be too much vacuum to the motor because for one, the catch can is vented to atmosphere. 

if you have a lot of blowby that is as sign of engine condition. a motor cant pull so much vaccum that it pulls oil mist out of the rockers on its own, its blown up and out by the blow by. 

an engine with a fair bit of blowby isnt ideal, but with a decent large catch can can be managed. 

Yes it can be.
He didnt have a breather at first and blocked the pvc.
And yes he had corrected it before i even said.

Are you triping ben?
The smoke was because the oil got sucked.
Not because it was blown out or it would had have shitter compression than a perfectly stable one across em all.
Aswell as he added the breather and it stopped.

Ya see that valve ya love to think works perfect all the time does not and it still allows some boost leakage that also can help reduce the engines vacum when so. Not its intention as its actualy the opposite. But during boost transition it can buger up and even if it sealed for boost , when open OFF BOOST will have a vacum speed far less than and a more stable flow rate than a setup that rips only to the turbo as oil surge being eaten seems to coincide with a spool up surge not so much off boost or at high boost in this instance.
I dont believe its HIS blow by.....maybe for others.
Seeing as he added a breather to the can and it stoped the issue.

it cant be too much vacuum to the motor because for one, the catch can is vented to atmosphere. 
if you have a lot of blowby that is as sign of engine condition. a motor cant pull so much vaccum that it pulls oil mist out of the rockers on its own, its blown up and out by the blow by. 
an engine with a fair bit of blowby isnt ideal, but with a decent large catch can can be managed. 

I've read that twice and can't make sense of it..

16 minutes ago, Slap said:

Yes it can be.
He didnt have a breather at first and blocked the pvc.
And yes he had corrected it before i even said.

Are you triping ben?
The smoke was because the oil got sucked.
Not because it was blown out or it would had have shitter compression than a perfectly stable one across em all.
Aswell as he added the breather and it stopped.

Ya see that valve ya love to think works perfect all the time does not and it still allows some boost leakage that also can help reduce the engines vacum when so. Not its intention as its actualy the opposite. But during boost transition it can buger up and even if it sealed for boost , when open OFF BOOST will have a vacum speed far less than and a more stable flow rate than a setup that rips only to the turbo as oil surge being eaten seems to coincide with a spool up surge not so much off boost or at high boost in this instance.
I dont believe its HIS blow by.....maybe for others.
Seeing as he added a breather to the can and it stoped the issue.