SAU Community

Apexi Power FC with controller

Jjtxaz24

Hey guys. 

Had a question on the Apexi PFC. Picked one up and it's on the way. I have found the software through the forums, but unsure if the version 2.132 is the most up to date. Is it?

2nd question is do I absolutely need the FC Datalogit to have the Apexi PFC interface with the computer/software and the cable to be able to tune it?

Appreciate the help in advance. 

Edited by Jjtxaz24

Yes you do need FC Datalogit to tune it properly, with the hand controller you're missing out on many tables and functions.

Also, just curious, why did you decide to buy a PowerFC in 2019? They're so outdated, low in features, doesn't' support flex, doesn't support triggering changes, doesn't do heaps of things actually.

30 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Yes you do need FC Datalogit to tune it properly, with the hand controller you're missing out on many tables and functions.

Also, just curious, why did you decide to buy a PowerFC in 2019? They're so outdated, low in features, doesn't' support flex, doesn't support triggering changes, doesn't do heaps of things actually.

I realize it was a bit older. I'm not gonna build the car all out. I wanna have a little more HP on tap and hang with the locals around here (lot of domestics Mustangs and Camaros that run their mouth) I want to rebuild the stock turbos with some good turbines or if I can find some other turbos for a good price I'll go that route, add a set of cams, a good, less restrictive exhaust and that's about it. I still need lot of maintenance on it to make sure it's a solid daily driver. 

It was what was affordable and within the budget for me to be able to start getting some fun parts into the GTR. I also saw the Nistune (seems like it's really out dated too) and a guy here locally said he could tune with that one after I had purchased the PFC. I'm located in the US by the way. 

15 minutes ago, BK said:

The software 2.132 is the FCdatalogit software and is the last release from over 8 years ago. To connect to ECU you need the FCdatalogit input expander box, or FChako interface cable.

Ok so I have the proper and "current" software. I'll look into that FCHacko interface cable.  

1 hour ago, Jjtxaz24 said:

I also saw the Nistune (seems like it's really out dated too)

No, not outdated. Uses the original ECU, which is a really solid choice for a lightly modded engine, because the Nissan ECU already knows how to make the best use of the CAS signal, idle control, etc etc. On top of that, Matt @ Nistune is constantly developing the product, and it can do all sort of things that used to be only able to be achieved with expensive aftermarket ECUs. You can have flex-fuel now, for example. Nistune is a bit limited compared to very modern aftermarket ECUs, but I would choose (and have chosen) Nistune of PFC every single time.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jjtxaz24 said:

the Nistune (seems like it's really out dated too)

Although not as modern as some of the full standalone it has it's merits as @GTSBoy has pointed out.

Also it's easier to setup with larger injectors (thanks to the TIM) and you can run the R35 MAF card with a drop down (where as in a PowerFC have fun scaling it). Not to mention it has basic launch control, basic TP Load and water temp engine protection (neither of which the PowerFC has) and flex fuel support, with reverse flex fuel support, i.e. primary map is E85, compensation table is 98RON but wait there's more, you can actually change the blend amount too between the primary table and the compensation table.

So good.

Couldn't agree more with Dose and GTSboy, i'm using a Nistune on my GTR which puts out over 400rwks (550 ozzy HP) to the wheels...

I'm using the flex feature as well as boost control all now within the ECU...

I've just bought a track car which came with a Link G4+ and I am very impressed with it's features but if i'd have been starting from scratch on this car I still probably would have gone the Nistune for my needs...

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

No, not outdated. Uses the original ECU, which is a really solid choice for a lightly modded engine, because the Nissan ECU already knows how to make the best use of the CAS signal, idle control, etc etc. On top of that, Matt @ Nistune is constantly developing the product, and it can do all sort of things that used to be only able to be achieved with expensive aftermarket ECUs. You can have flex-fuel now, for example. Nistune is a bit limited compared to very modern aftermarket ECUs, but I would choose (and have chosen) Nistune of PFC every single time.

49 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Although not as modern as some of the full standalone it has it's merits as @GTSBoy has pointed out.

Also it's easier to setup with larger injectors (thanks to the TIM) and you can run the R35 MAF card with a drop down (where as in a PowerFC have fun scaling it). Not to mention it has basic launch control, basic TP Load and water temp engine protection (neither of which the PowerFC has) and flex fuel support, with reverse flex fuel support, i.e. primary map is E85, compensation table is 98RON but wait there's more, you can actually change the blend amount too between the primary table and the compensation table.

So good.

Well dam.

A fraction of the price and had just what I needed. Hope it the PFC sells as fast as I bought it for. 

6 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Put it this way, there's a reason why you see heaps of PowerFCs, Microshits, EMS Stingers, Wolf 3D, 4D, whatever it's up to now, etc. for sale on the used market and not many Nistunes, Haltechs, Links, etc. 

Because they're ......

I see them for sale all the time but the price is still a pretty decent (not cheaper than 800 USD for ECU and controller). I havent heard much or anything about nistune (looked into it a bit, I know its cheap) and all the post I found on it were from like 2011 or older. 

I'm aware of haltech and that's a pricey piece.

Like I said I wasnt looking to make big numbers and didnt really care for ethenal. Highest gas we have here is 91 octane. I'm happy with that and some minor bolt ons, my focus was still gonna be on maintaining the car. Needs some more love on that. 

I assume you're American to some extent, based on the HKS SSQV BOV haha.. 

No idea why your people love them so much, it's annoying as bat shit. 

I would invest in a decent fuel pump too, nothing too crazy. A DW300 would be decent enough for your goals, with the option of running E85 later on for mild power.

52 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I assume you're American to some extent, based on the HKS SSQV BOV haha.. 

No idea why your people love them so much, it's annoying as bat shit. 

I would invest in a decent fuel pump too, nothing too crazy. A DW300 would be decent enough for your goals, with the option of running E85 later on for mild power.

There was no need to assume I stated I was from the US in my 2nd reply. Honestly when I looked the HKS BOV is all that came up. I like it. It does what BOV do lol. I think a fuel pump is next as part of my maintenance plan. Over the weekend I'll post up a thread on my GTR. It's pretty nice but when you get down into it she needs the details. 

So nistune good then? Aside from Haltech. What else can I get?

2 hours ago, Jjtxaz24 said:

I see them for sale all the time but the price is still a pretty decent (not cheaper than 800 USD for ECU and controller)...

Dang... I couldn't even sell mine for 300€ including shipping ? got that and 2 oem ECU collecting dust on a shelf, will try and put it on ebay one last time before I bin it! 

Will most likely use a maxxecu (what the local tuner prefer)

Edited by K_arlstrom

41 minutes ago, Jjtxaz24 said:

Depends on budget, generally I prefer ECUs that don't use the AFM.

Generally these are good options and reasonable in price:

• Haltech Platinum Plug-in Pro (a bit dated, but still very powerful and plenty of I/Os when you run the AUX harness)
  • Haltech Elite 2000 (no DBW and multistage engine protection, just single, need to buy patch harness OR wire in)
  • Haltech Elite 2500 (I run this, I love it - easy to tune as I self tune, need to buy patch harness OR wire in)
  • Link G4+
  • Link Fury/Xtreme (need to wire in)
  • Adaptronic M2000
  • Adaptronic 440 (they're ok, buggy but if you know how to work around them they're good value)

Then there are more mental ECUs out there like MoTec and Syvecs, but overkill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jjtxaz24 said:

Link g4+ plugins. Lots of features and ability to do lots of different things from flex fuel, launch & traction control, DBW and cruise control.
https://www.linkecu.com/

If your spending USD$800+ on a PFC then a Link is better value. 

A r32 GTR with steel turbos or single gt35 based turbo, exhaust, good injectors(ID1000/1050), Ethanol sensor, Walbro460 or DW equivalant and Current generation ecu will make a great street car with lots of potential for future upgrades.

5 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Link g4+ plugins. Lots of features and ability to do lots of different things from flex fuel, launch & traction control, DBW and cruise control.
https://www.linkecu.com/

If your spending USD$800+ on a PFC then a Link is better value. 

A r32 GTR with steel turbos or single gt35 based turbo, exhaust, good injectors(ID1000/1050), Ethanol sensor, Walbro460 or DW equivalant and Current generation ecu will make a great street car with lots of potential for future upgrades.

I had bought the PFC for 600 shipped, not realizing I'd have to invest 300 more into the datalogit. 

Thanks for the link.