SAU Community

Japanese auctions in the current climate

CeJay

• 7 months later...

March to about Sep this year I was watching the Auctions closely (I was looking at buying an BCNR33) - I live in Japan so I ended up buying a private gem - but I remember the auction prices were basically increasing week in week out = so actually it's just increased alot maybe due to people having more spare cash and at the same time US and Australian import laws allowing more cars to be exported to those countries. 

There's still alot of nice cars out there in Japan, but some of the nicer ones, the owners and some dealers would be reluctant at putting through auctions, as they want them to be kept in Japan. It's an interesting phenomena which I guess makes the "good condition" cars in the auctions even more valuable. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Prices are up. There was a piece on NHK (local news site) last year about how corona virus is prompting more business-types to spend less time going out and more time, and consequently money, on leisure activities, including buying cars.

Skylines and the rest of the legends are increasing to astronomical highs over here.