SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

On 25/01/2022 at 7:31 PM, GTSBoy said:

Just extend the reverse cowl in perspex up over the windscreen and roof so it sucks instead of blows. Can't look any worse than it does now!

Yeah.......it's going soon

It's not the first time that my good idea has turned to stupid

And it won't be the last 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2022 at 7:18 PM, mlr said:

Funny story

The above added ventilation has increased my IAT by 5°c and my coolant, which typically sits at about 90°c, was at 97°c

After doing some hasty wool tuft testing, it seems kow when at speeds over 40kph the reverse cowl works very well at sucking in air, pressurising the engine compartment, and reducing the efficiency of radiator stack quite well

I assume my trans temps would have raised as well as the air to oil trans coolers efficiency would have been effected as well

So, lucky I have the spare bonnet that will be getting the frame modified to give me some clearance

Marks bad idea #943: Fitting a reverse cowl scoop

LOL 🤯

lol pics of driving around with wools stuck to the car or it didn't happen :)

• Like 1

What else did you think it'd do?

It'll let heat OUT of the engine bay when you're idling/sitting but that is about it, at speed the pressure will force its way in.

The vents to reduce heat are ones you see on GT3 style cars.

image.thumb.png.4415c256dbdf3b3f3093a9f54dc9237a.pngimage.thumb.png.dccc96a6a11167ab734759400b249ef7.png

The concept is you provide a good ol duct for the radiator at speed for it to the immediately exit, the reverse cowl would probably work if there was a duct from your radiator directly to it and out of the car but fitting that could be.... problematic....

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 10:13 AM, Kinkstaah said:

What else did you think it'd do?

It'll let heat OUT of the engine bay when you're idling/sitting but that is about it, at speed the pressure will force its way in.

The vents to reduce heat are ones you see on GT3 style cars.

image.thumb.png.4415c256dbdf3b3f3093a9f54dc9237a.pngimage.thumb.png.dccc96a6a11167ab734759400b249ef7.png

The concept is you provide a good ol duct for the radiator at speed for it to the immediately exit, the reverse cowl would probably work if there was a duct from your radiator directly to it and out of the car but fitting that could be.... problematic....

I wish they made a bonnet for mine like the vented one I had on the 33, that worked a treat

As for the the cowl sucking in air, yeah I new it wound do it, but I didn't think it would effect the IAT and coolant temp so much, with only the  5x 100mm ○ holes it wasn't noticeable, but after the chop chop, well, it's farked

After a drive today, the IAT got up to 70°, that is a 20° increase to what it was 2 days ago doing the same run, and the coolant never went lower than 97°c

I checked the WTA intercooler pump, and the thermo fans because I thought that I may have invertantly unplugged something, but no, it was all because of stupid

Luckly the car is going into the paint shop next week to unfarkithe bonnet

#Duncan the "wool tuft" was actually fluoro pink string line, it was magnificent 👌 

On 27/01/2022 at 6:12 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

how does it drive now with the ratio change?

It's noticable when cruising, I haven't launched or laid 11's yet though

The car is going in to get the trans shift points played with to suit the new gears next Monday

Monday afternoon will possibly have a launch and skid involved.....or 2......for scientific research purposes of course 

I'm going on a 600km Hwy run on Thursday, I'm curious if there will be a noticable difference in L/ 100 km, not that it's important, but currently it's around 11L=100 km on the Hwy ATM

Hopefully hit WSID on 02 Feb, seeing if it helps the 60' a bit is the big one I'm looking at

• Like 3

Lowered engine mounts are on their way

TM011-TUFF-MOUNTS-Engine-mount-VT-VZ-Commodore-LS1-WEB.thumb.jpg.d8dc46b7fa8cab803b24a238570a84b5.jpg

So with the bonnet frame clearanced and the lowered mounts (13mm lower than stock) but with a 5mm spacer so the headers clear the K Frame, I'll have heaps of room under the bonnet for the thermal spacers and underbonnet insulation without have speed holes in the bonnet

In other news I recovered my Harley seat with some marine grade vinyl after thinking that tying on a steel tool box to it to take some tools over to a mates house was a good idea, it wasn't and the seat ended up with a big tear

It wouldn't win any prizes but at least it doesn't have a hole anymore

20220131_200016.jpg

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 9:31 AM, Kinkstaah said:

Poly mounts on a LS1 should be... interesting.... for that 70's muscle car driving a clothes dryer feel at the lights

I hope so, LOL 😆 

On 01/02/2022 at 9:31 AM, Kinkstaah said:

Poly mounts on a LS1 should be... interesting.... for that 70's muscle car driving a clothes dryer feel at the lights

Could you explain this to me? I'm not sure how to picture driving a clothes dryer. A washing machine maybe, but not a clothes dryer.

Poly mounts are stiffer, so more vibration from a rumbly V8 on idle?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:28 PM, soviet_merlin said:

Could you explain this to me? I'm not sure how to picture driving a clothes dryer. A washing machine maybe, but not a clothes dryer.

Poly mounts are stiffer, so more vibration from a rumbly V8 on idle?

Effectively the same, but a spin dryer was what I was thinking of. I own a machine that doubles as a dryer and it vibrates considerably more on its dry cycle compared to its wash cycle lol.

I have OEM Nissan mounts in my R34, and I feel the LS rumble noticeably when stopped through the seats, _BUT_ I believe I have a larger cam than @mlr. My only other experience were poly mounts with a SR20DET which definitely felt like sitting ontop of a washing machine/jackhammer at the lights, i.e it was shit.

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2022 at 8:19 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

That drive will be good to see economy.
Need videos of scientific testing, I'm sure it will be conducted in a controlled environment with safety equipment........

Hopefully get that 11, take an esky with a few bags of ice to help cool it in the lanes.

Hwy fuel economy, basically cruise control set at 100- 110kph for 99% of the trip

Holsworthy - Goulburn - Canberra- Goulburn- Holsworthy = Averaged out at 9.5L/100 Km

No drags last night because of rain 

In orher news: My thermal spacers and blanket arrived yesterday and my lowered tuff mounts arrived today

16438747924385439740674502420459.thumb.jpg.f59d459d5780aa2e58752d60a84d96f1.jpg

😀

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 9:30 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

got to be happy with that for an old v8 😛

The car is a great place to be in cruising along, inside the cabin you can barely hear the growl of the engine

• Like 1