SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

On 12/13/2021 at 1:29 PM, mlr said:

What do you think the main cause for the car overheating 

Are your fans effective?

Radiator size?

Thermostat?

Do you run the oem water pump or electric?

It only overheats when it gets very heat soaked with the AC on. That said, a Coolant temp of 105C is... 'normal' for a LS.

Fans seem effective, I have a massive Koyorad radiator thats your typical 52ishmm with a triple core. Some high flow thermostat (removed and tested), running a new OEM water pump.

It only happens when stopped so I assumed it was the Aircon condenser itself heating up and adding to heat which can't escape. The various changes I made _seemed_ to help but as it's 33C today and I have errands to do, I'll find out for sure later today lol.

Originally I thought the condensor was too big, as its about twice the size of a Skyline condensor which has the fan only on one side, but then I realised the OEM commodore condensor is much larger and would block even more, so the condensor size itself can't really be blamed.

On 13/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, Kinkstaah said:

It only overheats when it gets very heat soaked with the AC on. That said, a Coolant temp of 105C is... 'normal' for a LS.

Fans seem effective, I have a massive Koyorad radiator thats your typical 52ishmm with a triple core. Some high flow thermostat (removed and tested), running a new OEM water pump.

It only happens when stopped so I assumed it was the Aircon condenser itself heating up and adding to heat which can't escape. The various changes I made _seemed_ to help but as it's 33C today and I have errands to do, I'll find out for sure later today lol.

Originally I thought the condensor was too big, as its about twice the size of a Skyline condensor which has the fan only on one side, but then I realised the OEM commodore condensor is much larger and would block even more, so the condensor size itself can't really be blamed.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/stop-hot-day-overheating-on-500hp-ls-engine/

On 12/13/2021 at 5:26 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

install RB, install OEM fan & shroud, overheating gone.

It isn't lost on me that a nice 280kw, fits like factory setup with all accessories working well (which I am really trying to aim for) is easily achievable with .... the original engine and a sensible modern responsive turbo...

.... shit :D

• Haha 3

On 17/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, Duncan said:

I saw a red commodore with one of those dodgy bonnet bulges down in Goulburn today....

LOL, yeap, guilty as charged

Spent a few days hanging out with the daughter

Lots of walking the river and eating lots of food

She was actually flooded out of her home last week and needed to stay on town

I did a responsible thing that any responsible parent would do, I shouted her some accommodation and then sent her out to take some pictures of our local walking track660870016.thumb.jpg.4a263ffe9102bec3c2278bc138bde2a6.jpg

ahh, so there aren't that many red bogan cruise ships around :)

yeah I got caught out by that flood too, it came unusually quickly and highest we've seen.  I was in Sydney on Friday and arrived at the bridge home about 5pm to find it under.....also spent a couple of nights in town waiting for it to settle.

New bridge foundations on the left (road would have been about 1m above the flood), current bridge 4m under on the right..

IMG-20211211-WA0015.jpg

I guess it is one way to have a totally unplanned holiday, good news for clothes and food shops, but kind of bad timing because the motels were all super full because the state champs were on at wakie as well.

Went to WSID with the boy, we did 4 runs total, the boy accompanied me as a passenger, which he loved

The car run well enough, but traction was a major issue, the 255 Hankook RS4's were not up to the task, we tried 35-28-25-20 psi, nothing really helped much, and I only really bagged up the rear to clear the water off from the box, the track surface was average to say the least.......yeah, excuses excuses

Best run was a 12.8 at 112 mhp, 60fters were abysmal, the best was a 2.6

I will add some drag radials to my new years shopping list

I'm hoping some 275/40 17 Mickey Thompson Super Streets will fit my current 9.5" +46 rims and not rub, other wise I'm going yo need to factor in another set of FR 9.5" × 17 with the correct offset

Thinking about it, as I type, I'm probably better of getting the drag radials mounted onto another set of the FR anyway

In the end we had donuts and milkshakes, winning

• Like 3

Yep. Traction is lol from a dig with street tyres. I adore my Racelogic but the amount of intervention it needs to get moving is laughable. Come off the clutch at 2000rpm and you have to baby it to ... get moving.

Put on some DR's on some 15's or something, and go run an 11. I am suprised it was only 112mph though, from memory without looking I thought you were 300kw+ with the charger on.

What is most important is you had fun and didn't break anything though, which is always a win

On 23/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, Kinkstaah said:

Yep. Traction is lol from a dig with street tyres. I adore my Racelogic but the amount of intervention it needs to get moving is laughable. Come off the clutch at 2000rpm and you have to baby it to ... get moving.

Put on some DR's on some 15's or something, and go run an 11. I am suprised it was only 112mph though, from memory without looking I thought you were 300kw+ with the charger on.

What is most important is you had fun and didn't break anything though, which is always a win

Yeah, mph isn't good, it has a 315kwatw on a dyno sheet, which means nothing really

I'll try and find some online calculator to see what my "hp" should be with et mph car weight stuff

Maybe some DR, and more boost

People with cam only (i.e my pitiful 282ish kw) usually, USUALLY, trap about 115-118mph. Maybe 120.

Given you only did 4 runs, I suspect you were in line... a long time. Which means heat soak, and I know alllll about IAT's and heat soak and how the OEM ECU likes to just ruin your day because it believes the IAT is actually 80C when it isn't.

So I wouldn't be too surprised if your MPH was down from a combination of (real) heat soak, and the ECU thinking there is more heat soak than there is due to IAT Sensor fun.

• Thanks 1

On 23/12/2021 at 3:24 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Offt big V8 setup ran 12.8s, would be a fun race between your car and my wife's German POS SUV that has done a fluke 12.9s.

Meh, I was smoked by a fairly stock Track Hawk that did a 11.5 and 125 MPH

It was the cars first real run so I'm not to concerned, it ran clean, drove home, and is GTG again

After looking at a few calculators it seems that the 110 mph is typical for a RWD car weighing around 1800kg (the car with me and the boy) with around 320ishkw

From my experience with my old R33 the 12.8 is all about no traction in the 60ft, which I can work on with rubber, gearing and suspension 

As for the MPH, I've still got a big safety factor dialed in for the transmission, and I can still add some more boost ( currently about 6-7 psi) with another 2 psi from a 5mm smaller front pulley, and possibly rear pulleys (both  should see me around 10-12 psi) to get it closer to the power that the transmission guy said hw was happy for the transmission to see ,500 hp atw, or 380kw in new money

I would rather cruise around in the old "slow" V8 than a VAG SUV 😜, we roll in different  demographics, and there's heaps of faster cars than my old boat, there was actually quite a few Golf R's there, that with a few mods and a tune were running low 11's all night

In saying that, if I did buy a SUV, the Track Hawk would be on the short list, they are weapons straight out of the box

• Haha 1

Had a look at my rear wheel wells

Inside:
Enough room for a little more positive offset if required, with stock style suspension, I don't believe the "MCA comfort", that I was looking at last week, will work clearance wise, they use a coil over on the rear, as apposed to stock separate setup, andimage.gif.ee47929a3530813ae2199c660fedbee0.gif once there is 10mm more offset and 10mm more tyre heading towards the damper, well, I cannot see them fitting, spending $2.5k on them, only to not fit, would have made Mark punch Mark in the balls

20211224_112706_resized.jpg

Outside, at stock "FE2" ride height.
The spot that would rub, where the rear bumper meets the panel, currently has about 55-60mm between it and the 255/40 tyre that has a 102mm sidewall, a 275/40 has a 110mm sidewall, so roughly 45-50mm with the larger tyre (rough guestimation), so as long as it doesn't squat anymore than 45mm it shouldn't scrub

Plastic inner will hit the bin if required

20211224_112809_resized.jpg

I can add 10mm more "tyre poke" easily without actually getting any "mexican poke"

If it does Scrub I'll start with a 5mm lower spring spacer that should give me maybe a extra 10mm rear ride height, if it works, but I hate it ride height wise, some +56 offest gold FR's will be on the cards, hopefully that will not be required, and as I won't be getting the MCA suspension now, which was a big chunk ($2.5k) of the "budgeted money to waste on stupid car stuff", that can be used elsewhere

Disclaimer: all measurements are based off guestimations with a dusting of hopes and dreams

So, the next time out (March??) should see the car with a 3.46 truetrack rearend, some 275/40 drag radials, and a little more boost

#Kinkstaah I'll look into the car pulling timing from high IAT, when staging the car it was around 70°c IAT, I'm sure it was heatgun spec at half track

If the car is pulling timing at 80°c then that would explain the low mph

I might see if I can get the thermo that activates when the aircon is on, to be on even if the aircon isn't on, maybe even both thermos to activate off a switch...... or something...... meh, something that the tuner might be able to "black magic" on

Currently, if the aircon is on, it makes "all of the condensation" and a huge pool of water were ever the car goesimage.gif.ee47929a3530813ae2199c660fedbee0.gif, fine for driving to the shops, or to take the covids down to Goulburn so Uncle Duncan doesn't need to venture into the big smoke for it, but, dropping water when your staging is "apparently" frowned upon 

• Like 1

On 24/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, GTSBoy said:

I'm not convinced that going fast in a tall heavy heap of shit** is a good idea.

** The standard metric for describing anything made by Jeep.

Its OK, similar to the Euros which turn on an error light before you get to go fast much, Jeeps will break down before you can go fast enough to hurt yourself.

• Haha 2

On 24/12/2021 at 8:19 PM, Duncan said:

Its OK, similar to the Euros which turn on an error light before you get to go fast much, Jeeps will break down before you can go fast enough to hurt yourself.

We’re they built by the same people that build bmws?

• Haha 1