SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

Done some more digging, talking to the tune guy again and he said if I'm keeping both cats the top end power gain won't be that much, to which I queried "both cats", the things have 2 500 cell cats, 1 in the header and 1 in front pipe

He recommended that if I don't go for a catless aftermarket header that "both" cats need to be replaced with at least some high flows to get the most out of the tune

He also said if I go with a aftermarket header and only 1 high flow cat in the mid pipe the rest of the OEM exhaust will sound buzzy, but it's easily fixed with a larger resonator in the standard mid pipe as the OEM resonator is tiny

Jackie did say the Honda is the quietest car I have ever owned, so I'm taking that as "Mark, it needs a little more volume", but definitely not buzzy or droney, just a little more "noise" for the LOLS at high RPM

In the end tuning a exhaust for sound is fairly cheap and easy, I'll start at the front see how it sounds, then move to the mid pipe if required

In the end the profit made from selling the Yaris will cover it all, and I'll buy something shiny for her to "grease the wheels"

"Apart from the tune for more hectic V-Tec things, and the exhaust for optimising the V-Tec things and a little more noise, and the intake resonator delete for little more induction noise, I'm keeping this car stock......... mostly" .......LOL

I am enjoying being in a manual little 4 cylinder daily that revs pretty hard, and whilst it's not actually fast per se, it is fun rowing through the gears in it (kids these days hey)

7 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

K24 with a G30-770 would be potent.

10 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

And this is how it begins :)  Looking forward to see where you'll take it. I have a feeling this will see a supercharger being bolted on eventually

More looking at bolt on NA stuff, a K20 ported oil pump is a fairly cheap mod that will let it rev happily to 9k RPM, which would be fun

While the Commodore is built to full bogan spec, I want the Honda in Grandpa spec, I'm going for polar opposites

One issue I have come across is finding good tyres in 225 or 235/50 17 for the OEM rims, the current tyres, whilst new, are cheapos, but there's not alot of options really for tyres in that size

I don't want to drop too much coin on it really, just a few mods to optimise it, it is still just a daily hack that can be left parked anywhere

Spent half the day yesterday in it cruising around in traffic doing odd jobs and appointments, all the while blasting out Wagner on the system 

New Monroe OESpectrum shocks for the Honda have been ordered, the car actually handles well with the OEM shocks, but from pulling the wheels off for a good inspection of the brakes and bushings, the only issue I saw was that it still has the original shocks, and with 160k km on them they are well past their use by date

Also, in other "kids these days" news, the airbox resonator is "in the bin", a little more induction noise down low free reving, but it sounds really good (growly) over 4k RPM on the road, worth while silly mod for 10 minutes of work and zero dollars

Also the K&N filter for the OEM airbox arrived, whilst I didn't get it for performance, as it probably doesn't give any, it's more to save a few bucks replacing OEM filters every service, 3 filter changes and it has paid for itself

I also picked up another 5 litres of HPR5 for another oil filter and some more engine flush, I'll give the last HPR5 and filter change 1k km to do it's thing then flush it all out again and stick the new stuff in, anal, but I feel it's always worth the effort when I get a "new old" car to really clean out its guts, and as the K series engines have a few internal mesh filter screens for the V-Tec thingie, as well as the usual one on the oil intake tube, it's preventative maintenance to keep the oily bits happy when I'm wringing it's neck

The Bogan Cruise Ship might even come out from undercover this weekend for a cruise, weather permitting of course 

Whilst the interior of the Honda "looked" really clean and spotless, the Bissell told another story

Took 2 goes before the water didn't look like this

PXL_20231206_053854876.thumb.jpg.db50b1ff850eec1739d82e5a7c0fb620.jpg

It amazing how a cars interior, that looks really clean, is in fact, really dirty

It wasn't as bad as the Commodore or Yaris when I first cleaned them, but wow, I wasn't expecting that

That little Bissell is worth every dollar spent

Just dropped the Honda off to "fix" the cat in the header and front pipe

Until the car gets its tune it will be just like a "real Euro boy", as I assume a check engine light will come on and I'll lose cruise control until that gets "fixed"

The Honda only sounds marginally louder at idle and WOT now, but now I can at least hear the exhaust when I'm up it from around 4k RPM all the way to redline

Luckily no drone or raspyness at all at any road speed, which I was actually expecting it to do somewhere in the rev range, I did think I would need a larger resonator in the mid pipe, but luckily not

For a little 4 pot it actually sounds good when I'm wringing it's neck rowing gears..... V-Tec Yo 🤣

So far the Honda Accord Euro cannot claim the "real Euro boy" tag, as it hasn't thrown a code yet, I am expecting it to at some stage though, probably when I take it for a long drive, or park next to a VAG, but the tune will fix that

Tomorrows job is changing the gearbox oil and fitting the new dampeners, then onto giving the wheels some attention to get them ready for some rattle can etch primer and wheel paint love

• Like 1

No glitter or bits of stuff in the Honda's gearbox oil, which is nice

It was pretty dirty though, you could still see through it a little bit when I poured it into my oil collection drum, but in the pan it looked black, so well over due for a change, in saying that the transmission shifts fine

Whatever the gear oil that was in it is anyone's guess, but now it has a belly full of the recommended Penrite pro gear semi synth 75w/80

Remind me, that if Mark flips a car quickly after he buys it, that I should buy it, as it'll be polished, wet vacced, really well serviced, and likely have new suspension stuff under it as a minimum...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MBS206 said:

Remind me, that if Mark flips a car quickly after he buys it, that I should buy it, as it'll be polished, wet vacced, really well serviced, and likely have new suspension stuff under it as a minimum...

LOL, yeap

But dang it, it took me 4 bloody hours to do the rear shocks on the Honda today 

No manual, and nothing really helpful on the YouTube

Removing the parcel shelf took ages to get to the top mount bolts, there was hidden clips that were a nightmare to pop out, and some seat trim that needed to be removed

Then, working out which arms needed to be disconnected IOT get the first coilover assembly out of the wishbone and past the inner guard was trial and error, and took much longer than needed, basically everything needed to be disconnected to get the hub assembly low enough, and the "angle of the dangle" right so it could exit past the body

In the end I needed to undo the camber arms, I did use a paint pen to mark where the alignment adjustment was, but, as I WD40'd the hell out of the bolts the paint wiped off....DOOH

I did spend a bit of time cleaning the damper boots and springs as well, the whole rear coilover assemblies and all the arms and wishbones now looks like new and all the bushings are fine

The passenger side damper had no leaks, but it wasn't really good when pushing the rod down and watching it come back up, it went down fine, but kept hesitating going up

The drivers side had a small leak, and was much worse than the passenger side when testing it

Compared to the new shocks the old ones were Schizo in there range of motion

Fronts will need to wait till Friday though as I've got some other stuff to do tomorrow

I do have a good YouTube vid for the front though, I've watched it a few times and reckon I'm all over the process for the front

Front and rear wheel alignment will happen Saturday morning

And no, I'm not planning on flipping the Honda for a few years, it's a great little daily that just needs some love and attention Mark style 🤪

image.gif

image.gif

45 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

So much this! I was thinking the same.

@The Bogan, next time you look at selling your car please consider mentioning it here before listing otherwise :)

14 hours ago, The Bogan said:

LOL, yeap

And no, I'm not planning on flipping the Honda for a few years, it's a great little daily that just needs some love and attention Mark style 🤪

image.gif

image.gif

It's all good mate, I'm in the process of downsizing my fleet a bit too!

Currently I'm driving work cars, so much easier and cost effective for me to keep them in top nick :D

• Like 1

Finished my duties early so ended up doing the front dampers on the Honda

Neither had a leak, or signs of a leak, but both were FUBAR

Neither would come all the way back up

Luckily again, both the bump stops and top mounts, plus the spring bushes were fine

I'll head in early tomorrow for the wheel alignment 

• Like 1

Took the Bogan Cruise Ship for a nice little cruise around this morning, just a little run down Heathcote Rd to the coast, rolled past Cronulla beach, Brighton Le Sands, Maroubra beach, Coogee beach, then into Randwick, then home

The only stop was for some Tacos and a Corona

It was nice to get it out and about for while

I really want to do a drag and drive event next year, not to be competitive, basically 1 and done on street tyres, so just for the fun and experience of it all

It looks like a trip to Qld or Vic (Mexico) to do it properly though

• Like 1