SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

5 hours ago, PranK said:

Need some clean shots.

I bet that is the first time anyone has asked for pictures of a Yaris, LOL

I did get it insured, Pink slipped and regoed all today, as it was due this Wednesday 

The local mechanic who did the pink was impressed with its condition and how well it ran, I told him the story of how I got it and was probably going to flip it soon for around $5.5 -6k for a quick sale, he offered me $5.5k cash on the spot

I was super tempted but told him I need it at least until the Commodore is fixed, he said when I want to sell it to give him a call

I'm currently at just under $3k all in on it after the service and rego stuff, so a quick $2.5k profit would be sweet, I'll give my daughter $1.25k (extra dad points), that will give me a $1.25k earn on the time it took to do the service and clean

$1.25k should almost cover my next trip to Goulburn in the Commodore to take my daughter shopping in Canberra.....LOL

18 hours ago, PranK said:

Need some clean shots.

The big block Yaris basking in bushfire haze...probably should have had it in the sun, but meh, in the end it's still just a Yaris

20230912_073138.thumb.jpg.cfb9d55d7e520b3a7f90b458a208a86b.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Bogan said:

The big block Yaris basking in bushfire haze...probably should have had it in the sun, but meh, in the end it's still just a Yaris

20230912_073138.thumb.jpg.cfb9d55d7e520b3a7f90b458a208a86b.jpg

My motivation for the request was two fold;

1. I love seeing clean cars. I love detailing videos. 

2. My 16 y/o is not far away from her P's and I'm keen to learn about more smaller cars. Although I might just buy her a prado :) :rofl2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PranK said:

My 16 y/o is not far away from her P's and I'm keen to learn about more smaller cars. Although I might just buy her a prado

Not here to shit on the Yaris, but when faced with the same situation I chose Swifts for my 2 offspring. 2014s to be precise, but as this was a few years ago now, you'd probably be looking either at the very last of that shape or the very first of the new shape, in the same $$ space (which was about $14k, for 30k / 5year old manual cars). We did buy towards the top end to obtain clean examples that had low k's.

I like Suzuki's engineering (ie, it is still good, unlike Toyota's) and the aesthetics, both inside and outside are a lot better than almost all of the competitors. I couldn't bring myself to consider the shitty Euros (ie Fiesta, et al), the Mazda 2, the horrible offerings from Honda, Daishitsu, etc. Nor the Korean and especially Chinese offerings in that space. It really comes down to Yaris and Swift, and for my money, the Swift is a nicer place to be, simple and very mechanically decent.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Not here to shit on the Yaris, but when faced with the same situation I chose Swifts for my 2 offspring. 2014s to be precise, but as this was a few years ago now, you'd probably be looking either at the very last of that shape or the very first of the new shape, in the same $$ space (which was about $14k, for 30k / 5year old manual cars). We did buy towards the top end to obtain clean examples that had low k's.

I like Suzuki's engineering (ie, it is still good, unlike Toyota's) and the aesthetics, both inside and outside are a lot better than almost all of the competitors. I couldn't bring myself to consider the shitty Euros (ie Fiesta, et al), the Mazda 2, the horrible offerings from Honda, Daishitsu, etc. Nor the Korean and especially Chinese offerings in that space. It really comes down to Yaris and Swift, and for my money, the Swift is a nicer place to be, simple and very mechanically decent.

This is not one I'd thought about previously but I do like the swifts. I'll keep this short so we don't go too OT but thanks for this, i appreciate it! 

8 hours ago, PranK said:

This is not one I'd thought about previously but I do like the swifts. I'll keep this short so we don't go too OT but thanks for this, i appreciate it! 

Let's keep it OT.

I bought a 2010 Swift Sport dirt check.

I myself love the thing. Until you're driving it for a while.

Mine is basically chairs with no padding.

They kept it simple by never adding much of the unnecessary stuff, this includes ANY sound deadening, so it's loud.

Low profile tyres, and suspension that is about as soft as a go karts...

It's not "quick" in a straight line, mine makes about 100hp at the flywheel from the factory. (HKS from memory make a bolt on turbo kit that can take it to 200hp at the wheels...).

However, it can deliver the power, while in a corner. It's super light, and REALLY chuckable. The only thing I would warn people about... if you're pushing it hard in a corner, and need to lift, you better do it very delicately, or you're going to be facing the direction you came from about 0.01s after you lift...

Oh, and to stop, just look at the brake pedal and you'll headbutt the windscreen.

Each time I drive it however, it makes me laugh at how fun it is to drive.

We have the MIL's Mazda 2 at the moment. No thanks, you can keep those!

You can add to the list to look at being the Corollas too.

Also, if you're thinking Prado, got a 2015 or newer Rav4 instead.

Good news, transmission is fine

Bad news, a half shaft went kaboom

Transmission is still coming out for a health check and service to be on the safe side, and also getting a a heavy duty flex plate and some fresh bolts fitted, might as well as cost is minimal for the flex plate and bolts

As I would still be rolling the dice with the 4l60e on a prepped track with drag radials though, there will be no more drag racing at WSID, so sad face 😞

Diff is getting pulled and sent off for some love IRT new half shafts

In other, "car that actually runs" news, I hit the Yaris seats and carpet with the Bissell 

I didn't think they were that bad after the initial spounge down and clean I did, but after letting the stain remover sit for a little longer, a good scrub, and then some Bissell action I was proved wrong

Lots of American Staffie sweat and dribble was removed

The Yaris is now sitting all opened up in the sun to dry out

The initial results were yucky to say they least, 🤮, a second time around with the Bissell was required 

20230915_144609.thumb.jpg.52e25b67db0deb2028f85705d443d1f8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So.....after pulling the diff to fix the broken half shaft, they found the Eaton truetrac has a cracked in the body #sadface

Sooooo.......it is getting a new Harrop Truetrac installed

The Eaton is rated to 500hpatw, I'm also making 500hpatw, so there's that, the Harrop, rated to 500kwatw has a stronger billet body, the Eaton body is cast

Not sure what came first, the broken half shaft or the crack in the Eaton truetrac body, did one go first and take the other with it? I'll ask more later when the car is ready to pick up, maybe no one knows, maybe it was aliens, maybe it was Covid vaccines

On the bright side the Hardy Spicer ring and pinion gears are undamaged and can be reused

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 4:49 PM, The Bogan said:

So.....after pulling the diff to fix the broken half shaft, they found the Eaton truetrac has a cracked in the body #sadface

Sooooo.......it is getting a new Harrop Truetrac installed

The Eaton is rated to 500hpatw, I'm also making 500hpatw, so there's that, the Harrop, rated to 500kwatw has a stronger billet body, the Eaton body is cast

Not sure what came first, the broken half shaft or the crack in the Eaton truetrac body, did one go first and take the other with it? I'll ask more later when the car is ready to pick up, maybe no one knows, maybe it was aliens, maybe it was Covid vaccines

On the bright side the Hardy Spicer ring and pinion gears are undamaged and can be reused

Can I interest you in a V8 sedan with all of this stuff already fixed (some of it fixed from the factory?) 😛

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Bogan said:

And fixed, and another box of broken parts for the steel bin at work, notice the one that didn't break has a nice twist in it down the splines20230921_112443.thumb.jpg.64690ad7caa34bef15c836a6647512b6.jpg20230921_112716.thumb.jpg.0004ec79d44e43d15ef4612d9334c5c2.jpg

It's got no twist in it compared to the twist in the broken one!!!

Before you bin the broken bits, can you tell me if the ABS tone wheels can come off those shafts or are they welded on to it?

Which drag tyres have you been running to?

I remember years ago chatting to a drag racer, and he'd only run one style of drag tyres, as it allowed way more flex in the rubber, the other sort he didn't like was stiffer, and it's just snap the shafts all the time.

Kind of like running a sprung vs unsprung clutch centre, but it's at the tyre.

Are you stalling the motor by trans brake, or by using the brakes so the whole drive line is loaded up?

1 hour ago, MBS206 said:

It's got no twist in it compared to the twist in the broken one!!!

Before you bin the broken bits, can you tell me if the ABS tone wheels can come off those shafts or are they welded on to it?

Which drag tyres have you been running to?

I remember years ago chatting to a drag racer, and he'd only run one style of drag tyres, as it allowed way more flex in the rubber, the other sort he didn't like was stiffer, and it's just snap the shafts all the time.

Kind of like running a sprung vs unsprung clutch centre, but it's at the tyre.

Are you stalling the motor by trans brake, or by using the brakes so the whole drive line is loaded up?

Tone wheel fixture is unknown, I'll have a gander tomorrow 

275/40 17 Mickey Thompson ET street SS, so the sidewall is firmish, basically a street tyre with really soft rubber

I just roll into the loud pedal to launch mate, as I have a PD supercharger boost is basically instant off idle, so no trans brake or foot braking is required to build boost

12 hours ago, The Bogan said:

Tone wheel fixture is unknown, I'll have a gander tomorrow 

275/40 17 Mickey Thompson ET street SS, so the sidewall is firmish, basically a street tyre with really soft rubber

I just roll into the loud pedal to launch mate, as I have a PD supercharger boost is basically instant off idle, so no trans brake or foot braking is required to build boost

I just went and double checked to make sure my terminology was right:

- Drag Radial, supposedly good for breaking axles and stuff, typically outright a quicker tyre. This is the "solid clutch center" I made the analogy to.

- Drag Slick, more forgiving, as sidewall flexes and lets the wheel rotate a bit, outright a touch slower, but a more consistent tyre over different surfaces/temperatures etc. This is the "sprung clutch center" I made the analogy to.

Not sure if there are road legal drag slicks available though, so means you'd need to take two tyres, jack, and rattle gun with you. Maybe get yourself a 4WD and car trailer... More expensive than NRMA though :P

As to the launch, so you're sitting there at like idle, and then just roll onto the loud pedal?

You would have to test this with your car in particular, but you might find it quicker off the mark with holding the brake, stalling against it, and getting the rear end to already be torqued up, AND pulling the suspension down. It also means any and all play in the driveline has been removed already.
I'd start by doing it with a little bit of throttle to just squat the rear, and as you come off the brake, you don't need to roll it into full noise instantly, though, you have the TCS system, so you possibly can get away with rolling to full noise pretty quickly, but leaving it that split second does at least allow the car to START moving a little before you throw all the killawasps at the diff and axles :P

4 hours ago, MBS206 said:

I just went and double checked to make sure my terminology was right:

- Drag Radial, supposedly good for breaking axles and stuff, typically outright a quicker tyre. This is the "solid clutch center" I made the analogy to.

- Drag Slick, more forgiving, as sidewall flexes and lets the wheel rotate a bit, outright a touch slower, but a more consistent tyre over different surfaces/temperatures etc. This is the "sprung clutch center" I made the analogy to.

Not sure if there are road legal drag slicks available though, so means you'd need to take two tyres, jack, and rattle gun with you. Maybe get yourself a 4WD and car trailer... More expensive than NRMA though :P

As to the launch, so you're sitting there at like idle, and then just roll onto the loud pedal?

You would have to test this with your car in particular, but you might find it quicker off the mark with holding the brake, stalling against it, and getting the rear end to already be torqued up, AND pulling the suspension down. It also means any and all play in the driveline has been removed already.
I'd start by doing it with a little bit of throttle to just squat the rear, and as you come off the brake, you don't need to roll it into full noise instantly, though, you have the TCS system, so you possibly can get away with rolling to full noise pretty quickly, but leaving it that split second does at least allow the car to START moving a little before you throw all the killawasps at the diff and axles :P

Yeap, just rolling it on, it didn't brake at launch, it just gripped up and left, it broke during the 1-2 shift, although I assume the launch probably make it very unhappy and the shift into 2nd was the last straw 

1 hour ago, The Bogan said:

Yeap, just rolling it on, it didn't brake at launch, it just gripped up and left, it broke during the 1-2 shift, although I assume the launch probably make it very unhappy and the shift into 2nd was the last straw 

Ahh, sounds like it has probably been on its way for a while. Too many wasps mate, you'll need some mortein for it 😛

2 hours ago, MBS206 said:

Ahh, sounds like it has probably been on its way for a while. Too many wasps mate, you'll need some mortein for it 😛

Not to many wasps, to many torques and too sticky rubber mate

Tone wheel is part of the half shafts on a M80

20230922_171847.thumb.jpg.b525657003de08de48c7feba4b10dad7.jpg

16953675329815796430510698414780.thumb.jpg.a24d9be52ee9b33855e6b1c74d169687.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Bogan Bike is sold 

With my neck the way it is it was safer for me and everyone around me to stop riding, plus 90% of drivers are to busy looking at phones or not paying attention to their surroundings, I started to think it was only time before some idiot ran into me again

Plus whilst I'm happy to plod around on the street in a car, I tend to revert to "full retard" on a bike, and I've had a few close calls

Got a super quick sale (1 day advertised) and the money I wanted so happy there

Goodbye Bogan bike, you probably won't be missed

20231010_164739.thumb.jpg.6b4c411d6950374f9e8ed46b844bc99b.jpg

In other "tin top" news: I'm loving the Yaris as a daily hack, heaps fuel efficient as expected, and enough room for daily duties, but, I'm already thing of flipping it for something the same size, but with more mod cons, well, 1 mod con that I really like, cruise control.

The daughters Kia Cerato GT is a really nice little thing, they release a new version soon, so I will wait for that to drop before I flip the Yaris

As for the Bogan Cruise Ship, that basically only comes out for weekend cruising duties now, it is going as good as ever, well, as long as I don't take it to the drags again, in the end it was built for (OEM+) cruising, and it does it like a champion 

Long live the Bogan Cruise Ship 

• Like 2