SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

6 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

I vote use racetcs thing if that helps.

Aftermarket ecu is more than needed here.

The issue is finding someone to install it for me

#menoskillz

15 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

I vote use racetcs thing if that helps.

Aftermarket ecu is more than needed here.

Aftermarket ECU is not really needed for a LS, Haltech didn't do one for awhile given how effective things like HPTuners is. The only feature that I don't have access to is Wideband Closed Loop fuel control (which admittedly I do kinda wish I had!)

That said: I could also not require that if I just used the 102MM MAF's that exist and tune it via MAF like an OEM. The car is tuned well enough for me that that expense is a bit of ehhh, but if I had to start again and get new intake pipes made up etc etc I would have done that. I have full flex and all of those things. The underlying ECU is pretty damn robust.

Anyone that can install an ECU can install RaceTCS. All you need is to know where your ABS sensors are (there will be 4). And your injector wires are (there will be 8..) and where a tach wire is. Can be the engine ECU one or the dash one.

Splice into them, add power and ground and off you go. Though, it also requires some tuning to get it cutting in the way you want (i.e not too harsh/not harsh enough). Though you can use the dial. 

Hell, I have the 6cylinder version, so only 6 of my injectors are spliced into. I assure you a LS cannot move under its own power running on 2cyl.

With no hyperbole, I am able to do a U turn in torrential rain fully WOT in 1st gear and it'll just ... do that. Though admittedly in that scenario it may splutter a little. I can also set it to 25% in some... off road.. testing... facilities and it'll just hold that amount of slip until the road speed catches up and then ends up going straight.

TBH it's also safe. Plenty of times I've been around the roundabout in the wet near my house, and the tiniest stab of the throttle will send the car going sideways at 10kmh if you don't have it, or back off before it kicks in from pure inertia lol. The LS is stable as hell once you're moving, but in my case I very much traded boost kicking in at 50kmh sending the car sideways with trying to get the car moving from 0kmh in some sort of stable manner. That mannerism with a positive displacement charger must be 'fun' but perhaps the auto dulls this somewhat at very low load.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

I wasnt very clear, I agree an aftermarket ecu isn't needed in this case.

English is fun. That sentence somehow perfectly works both ways!

MORE than needed, you can't even emphasize it differently and it still can mean:

it is more than is required
it is required more than merely 'needed'

In any case, this will ideally require a laptop and a bit of driving and a bit of skids to fine tune the behaviour. No matter what option you go with. The simplest way is right foot control. People just don't care in straight line world, they culturally ignore launching the car at low speed on road tyres. This is why Roll Racing exists, and everyone on a drag strip is using drag radials and a prepped surface.

Then they all tell themselves they are as fast as [insert supercar here] who is doing it on an unprepped surface with road tyres 😛

• Like 2

New Hankook RS4 all round, it did take 3 months for the fronts to be available though

235/45 17 front, 255/40 17 rear

Whilst the 275/40 17 Toyo R888R were great/exceptional in the dry, and great value for money to boot, they really hated any standing water

Just cruising along and hitting some standing water at 110kph on the Hume would cause the rear tyres to not be team players 

So back to the trusty old RS4's

On 6/30/2023 at 7:46 PM, The Bogan said:

The issue is finding someone to install it for me

#menoskillz

Would you be interested in picking up those skills? It's not hard, it's just a practice makes perfect thing and having good quality crimping tools makes an insane difference. 

I feel pretty confident that we could talk you through what tools you'll need, how to get this bad boy wired up and tuned. 

16 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Would you be interested in picking up those skills? It's not hard, it's just a practice makes perfect thing and having good quality crimping tools makes an insane difference. 

I feel pretty confident that we could talk you through what tools you'll need, how to get this bad boy wired up and tuned. 

Honestly, I lack the confidence for this, me splicing into the ABS and injectors has my spidey senses tingling

In the end I'm happy to pay someone with the skills, knowledge and equipment needed to do it

Spiro and Travis from Autotech are looking over the instructions and hopefully they can get it done for me

the-castle-farouk.gif.5c1c018fd44b19e398dd998ced6802ab.gif

Once people understand how the system works, and in conjunction with the rest of the car (i.e there's more considerations to be made if you try and splice this into a 2023 911 or M4...)... the stuff they need to do is pretty simple.

You don't actually even need to cut a wire. You just strip back the shielding. I did talk up about how much you want to tune it, but I am very OCD with this kind of stuff. I wanted my 5% to be 5%. In the real world if it doesn't cut enough with default settings you could just change the dial to make it more aggressive, i.e if it gives you too much slip (or not enough slip) at "10%" then just move the dial to 5, 0, or 15, or 20 for preference.

I just tuned the shit out of it so that I could leave the dial in one spot pretty much forever :D

• Thanks 1

Well, the 255/40 17 RS4's have no hope in putting traction down when going past 25% throttle in 1st or 2nd, I've done about 200 km on them so far, so they should be "scrubbed" in by now

Whilst novel for the first 1 or 2 times, it is actually not really helpful when you are trying to take off with some "bravado", I've found myself needing to pedal "alot" more now than with the 275/40 17 R888R's, which was expected really

The voices in my head started saying to "get another........another set of 17 x 9.5 RF1 rims for some R888R 275's for the dry", my reply to them was "are we happy to keep swapping out rims dependent on weather conditions, we already do that if we going to the drags, and also have them packed in the car for extended trips away on the off chance it rains, and then explain to the Minister for war and finances why there's no room for her 3 suitcases when we go away for the weekend, because whilst the R888R's are great in the dry, they try and kill us in the wet", the voices in my head said "fark no....bring on the RaceTCS"

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Duncan said:

didn't they make a 4wd commodore for a while?

.....reshell time!

They did, but no, some utes a wagon, and.......a coupe cross 8 with a butt ugly front end that no one really liked, plus they weighed alot more and put down alot less power than their RWD versions 

33h7xmh74zeva42li521krr2c.thumb.jpg.d4b4f911ec1ac3a4b356698bc1b4f941.jpg

Or there's this, there were heaps of these 4x4 conversions around when I was a kid, mainly Holden and Fords, utes, wagons and panel vans

b99f9d0a-45e4-4f93-9b8a-dccc1db0fe09-xlg.thumb.jpg.b4b3a0c5ba1c8766dbc2cecb12e7473b.jpg

21 hours ago, The Bogan said:

Well, the 255/40 17 RS4's have no hope in putting traction down when going past 25% throttle in 1st or 2nd, I've done about 200 km on them so far, so they should be "scrubbed" in by now

Whilst novel for the first 1 or 2 times, it is actually not really helpful when you are trying to take off with some "bravado", I've found myself needing to pedal "alot" more now than with the 275/40 17 R888R's, which was expected really

The voices in my head started saying to "get another........another set of 17 x 9.5 RF1 rims for some R888R 275's for the dry", my reply to them was "are we happy to keep swapping out rims dependent on weather conditions, we already do that if we going to the drags, and also have them packed in the car for extended trips away on the off chance it rains, and then explain to the Minister for war and finances why there's no room for her 3 suitcases when we go away for the weekend, because whilst the R888R's are great in the dry, they try and kill us in the wet", the voices in my head said "fark no....bring on the RaceTCS"

Road tyres do not hook with powerful cars. They just don't. There is no road tyre that will. Shit if you launched on actual road racing slicks they probably still wouldn't.

This is why drag radials, dedicated tyres for this exact scenario (and only this scenario) exist. It's also why I scoff a bit when people talk about V8's being laggy in their delivery and "this cam won't provide grunt down low" that you see in V8 circles. It's like... what on earth are you talking about, as I struggle to maintain traction from a stop at 2500rpm and 50% throttle with my 'laggy, dead down low' cam.

And you boosted it with a non-centrifugal option, you DAMN ROOKIE!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Road tyres do not hook with powerful cars. They just don't. There is no road tyre that will. Shit if you launched on actual road racing slicks they probably still wouldn't.

This is why drag radials, dedicated tyres for this exact scenario (and only this scenario) exist. It's also why I scoff a bit when people talk about V8's being laggy in their delivery and "this cam won't provide grunt down low" that you see in V8 circles. It's like... what on earth are you talking about, as I struggle to maintain traction from a stop at 2500rpm and 50% throttle with my 'laggy, dead down low' cam.

And you boosted it with a non-centrifugal option, you DAMN ROOKIE!

I believe alot of people only look at peak HP numbers, not the torque curves, and definitely not drivablility

They focus on peak HP on a dyno sheet

Also some build their street car engines to perform high in the RPM range with massive cams or turbos suited to racing at the track of strip, then complain that they are a pig to drive on the street because they have built out the response down low, fine if you can sit at the line on a transbrake or launch control, not so much when you want to take of quick from a set of lights

I'm glad I found SAU all those years ago, and although I've made some "poor choices" in the years after, the info I have gained here has limited the number of poor choices the voices in my head, or other internet experts from the Googles have advised is the "way to go"

10 points to SAU 

images.jpeg-8.thumb.jpg.8b5ba88d51e0aa34ef3999436571b3aa.jpg

Drove to Goulburn to visit my daughter 

Goulburn has it all, wet, and cold

I'll probably be living here permanently in 2 years when I retire so I better harden up

Even with the wet and cold it still beats living in the Sydney suburbs though