SAU Community

Dry sump RB26/30 fitment issues

Mick_o

Hi guys so I have a customer's car in ready for some fab work and something has caught my eye & I believe it's going to cause alot of issues but the customer has been reassured by his engine builder that its fine. But basically they have put a 10mm spacer under 1 engine mount to keep the sump off the steering rack. The mount isn't even sitting flush on the chassis either. Refer to 2nd picture. I will let the pictures do the talking. 

Appreciate any feedback you might have. 

20200520_092348.jpg

20200520_093708.jpg

In my opinion the motor needs to come out and the sump needs to be notched around the rack. 

You Can see in this pic here where the issue is and it's already been rubbing. 

What issues do you smart gents foresee happening in this situation?

20200516_125725.jpg

That is pretty ghetto. Considering if you are messing around with a dry sump it is a serious build, not a backyard shit box.

no way would i be ok with that, especially considering it is an AWD car.

Yep it's a serious bit of kit. I wouldn't be happy with it either. 

Think it would eventually crack the sump?  

Diff is obviously gunna be loaded up more on 1 side than the other. Especially when the motor running and twisting under power!

As you can see the engine mount is floating on the chassis already 

4 hours ago, Mick_o said:

Yep it's a serious bit of kit. I wouldn't be happy with it either. 

Think it would eventually crack the sump?  

Diff is obviously gunna be loaded up more on 1 side than the other. Especially when the motor running and twisting under power!

As you can see the engine mount is floating on the chassis already 

Ally fretting on steel cross member is either going to wear it paper thin, or cause fatigue.  Problem in the making.

Also I'd reckon the mounts require a zero set - twisting it (power train) while tightening it all down is only going to introduce stress points under load as you say.

Matt's solution looks the goods.

4 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Give me the car, and after a session of Wakefield I will cause that sump will split open.

You will be too busy playing Scotty Cam won't you? 

3 hours ago, R32 TT said:

Had same issue - but did something about it.

IMG_6671.thumb.jpg.cf19ad57f934d2ee35422dfc3bbed7a4.jpgIMG_6668.thumb.jpg.08122df54ab340d368e9af19da31cede.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6694.jpg

IMG_6696.jpg

IMG_6697.jpg

Thanks mate! That was exactly what I was thinking needed to happen. Unfortunately the owner is going to run with the spacers as he has been reassured there wont be a problem 

• Like 1

Wow really?   

I don't think I would like a sump resting on, or chafing on, the subframe like that.   Ironic that you would put a dry sump in for ultimate reliability in oil supply, and then let something like this through.

Edited by R32 TT
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1