SAU Community

What is my r34 get worth

Hi I'm just wondering what my car would be worth it was auto converted to manual by previous owner its a 98 r34 gtt 107000ks around on it I have it 4 years bought it around the 96000k mark just use it at weekends. Body and paint is good very little marks on it. Never missed a beat I recently had a big service done few months ago timing belt water pump etc. I put a hks racing solution pod filter intake and filter on it changed spark plugs and coils to a spiltfire. Nismo gear box mount and hicas delete system and a mishimoto radiator. The rest of the car is basically stock 

The "big service" doesn't change the value of the car at all.

The pod filter is neutral. Some people will like it, some will want to get rid of it. Plus or minus value depending on who's looking.

The gearbox mount is a small consideration, as is the HICAS delete (both are good, neither are expensive to do). Ditto the Splitfires.

The Mishimoto radiator will be seen as a hard negative by anyone who knows them (and their lack of quality). Will cost buyer to replace it.

Otherwise, it's worth $15-20k. You could argue that it's worth more and advertise it for $25k and see who bites. Might move, or might not. Publicly visible asking prices and actual sale prices only every have so-so relationship to each other.

• Like 1

Before I bought the radiator I checked it out online and from what I could see from who had them in the skylines they were happy out with them so that's why I got its only 2 months on the car. I have a turbo timer new in box to go with it and a k&n cone filter new in box also and still have the original air box all can go with the car.  3in exhaust on it but don't know the brand don't see a name on it. Being mainly unmodified also is a plus because ya dont always know who's tuned the cars or if people have being working on the cars themselves so for me I feel it's a good plus engine etc being untouched or am I wrong there?

34 minutes ago, Jay Fitz said:

Being mainly unmodified also is a plus because ya dont always know who's tuned the cars or if people have being working on the cars themselves so for me I feel it's a good plus engine etc being untouched or am I wrong there?

It's a really unquantifiable value proposition there. It so much depends on who is looking at the car.

There's a bathtub curve in value for these cars. While the price is down in the bottom of the curve, clean unmodified ones are not worth a great deal more than ones that are a little rougher or have some (properly done) mods on them. Once they start to climb up the appreciation side of the curve again (assuming that they do) then the value of "clean, unmodified" will start to become a bigger thing, because the reason that they climb the curve is because people are looking to get "one of the last good ones", or similar reasoning. R34s have sort of started recovering in value, but they're not as far back up the curve as R32s are (for example), so the difference between "clean, unmodified" and otherwise is not yet as big as it might be in a little while.

And every buyer will tell you that the car is worth $10k less than you would like for it. That's the nature of trying to sell anything in the Gen-Y world.

Auto to manual conversions are tuff one. I would personally never look at a converted car.

if I was coming to look at it I would question why the radiator was changed. It’s not highly modified to need extra cooling, leading me to think something has happened with the cooling system. Did the hoses or radiator split? If so has anything internal been damaged when it over heated? And is a strange item to just randomly change

turbo timer adds absolutely zero to car. May aswell throw it in the bin as they are not needed.

these are just my opinions/ thoughts 

3 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

replacing a radiator on a 20 year old car is a pretty normal thing to do, not sure why the concern above?

Out of the 10 cars I’ve owned, gtst, gtr, Wrx, 350z etc I’ve only ever replaced the one on my gtr as it was at 600hp. These cars have had more kms and driven daily and not needed to change one 

Many years ago, the factory plastic top tank on my R32 cracked. New alloy tanked rad went.

Some years after that, a f**kstain caused me to make severe contact with the side of his car using the front of my car. Along with much panel work, a new radiator and new FMIC went into my car.

8 years later (2 months ago), a seized fan clutch caused excessive suction on radiator, pulled it into contact with the fan blades and cracked the end of one of the tubes. New radiator went into my car.

That's 3 new rads in 27 years of car life and 20 years of my ownership.

Nothing unusual there, and despite having have front end repairs, it is still one of the best condition R32s around. And it is a manual converted ex-auto car too.

The plastic bracket on top broke and I rather the look with the aluminium  if I keep the car was going front mount intercooler next and just bit by bit change a few things. I have 2 cars going to be advertising both right offer on either car and I will let it go. Moving in the future and can only take one