SAU Community

Revisiting single vs twins

Curious to know what others think of this data point, this is supposed to be a more modern twin turbo setup for the RB26 vs a GTX3582:

image.thumb.png.8815dc2baabb1ab598385e6d06fe1dee.png

"More info Twins vs Single. 4WD mustang dyno, 92 octane, similar weather condtions, Step 2 V-Cam, 272 exhaust cam on both, both running metal cats.

Blue run are the DR500 twins
Orange run is GTX 35/82

Again this is just more info for everyone. Each of you will have your own opinions on what setup is better. Its coming to my attention that when we post up data, that we have collected, and speak highly of our results its because we are in love with what we do! Its unfortunate that it has come across as being competetive and that is not our intent. The information is there for you to use, only if it applies to what you want to accomplish with your GTR.

And yes we have watched the Motive video."

Link: 

Looks like the turbos are made by Spectrum Motorsports in 42R configuration: https://www.spectrummotorsportssolutions.com/products/r32-r33-r34-rb26-smr600

Still alot of variables to affect results between 2 different vehicles. 

Shame it kind of wasn't a direct comparison on the same engine. 

Thanks for sharing ?

32 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

It's also a shame it's a shop comparing their turbos to others..........

Based on this post the extra 5psi on their twins gained nothing up top https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3537861622909572&id=136477713047997&set=a.1284279384934485&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3Dp...

The man is on the hunt for data! Lol

Its very hard to believe unfortunately as my experience driving the whole garden variety of twins on literally every capacity engine has been VERY different to what these guys are pushing 

8 hours ago, Mick_o said:

The man is on the hunt for data! Lol

Its very hard to believe unfortunately as my experience driving the whole garden variety of twins on literally every capacity engine has been VERY different to what these guys are pushing 

I've been wondering how they've been doing it too, they tend to get results that others don't. 

image.png.3be6d0a274ab4026edf49bf1c954b254.png

3 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

I've been wondering how they've been doing it too, they tend to get results that others don't. 

they are selling twins.....

above is my amazing work overlaying the 2 graphs. it seems pretty pointless but i did it!!

I dont think a shop positng photos of a dyno monitor is really providing data. Heaps more info is needed for proper comparison otherwise it is alll just lines on a page.

oh and for that crazy work above i matched the powev figure and x axis (sort of), the boost axis didnt match but doesnt really matter.

DATA!

It doesn't look like they are testing each turbo to their potential.

Both are tested at 25 PSI, where as they should run whatever boost is required for the specific turbo to make all it's power it can, that might effect the midrange somewhat.

24 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

They also posted a twins with V-Cam off and the gtx with V-cam on and they were almost identical... seems fishy... perhaps the gtx cars v-cam if fooked?

Tuned by the marketing team maybe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RB335 said:

to make all it's power it can

kind of irrelevant when they're not claiming the twins produce more power, just that the power is on earlier and so more enjoyable to drive

1 hour ago, GTofuS-T said:

kind of irrelevant when they're not claiming the twins produce more power, just that the power is on earlier and so more enjoyable to drive

Which is a dumb comparison. A smaller single will do that. Their own data seems to show that their twins are all in a that power, extra 4 or 5 psi made no difference to peak. Give the gtx35 an extra 5 psi and see what happens....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Which is a dumb comparison. A smaller single will do that. Their own data seems to show that their twins are all in a that power, extra 4 or 5 psi made no difference to peak. Give the gtx35 an extra 5 psi and see what happens....

Not a great comparison point because it's VCAM step 2 vs step 1 but they did have an EFR7163 VCAM step 1 comparison:

image.thumb.png.d6d54eebc5b243489589e2bd718aa8cf.png

"The Black run is a Step 2 V-Cam with a GTX 35/82
The Blue run is a Step 1 V-Cam with a EFR 7163
The Orange run is NON V-Cam with our DR500s

These runs were all done in 4wd with 92 octane in similar weather conditions. I tried to grab an average run from each turbo setup as not be to be misleading."

Also seems like people like the G25-660 for big power which is surprising to me: