SAU Community

Hello from South Aus!

Millerman

Hi guys my names Dan,

i have had my eye on my friends dad’s datsun 260z 2+2 for about 10 years now and due to some health circumstances he has decided to sell it to me. Its a late 1974 model with l26 and manual box. Currently red but factory green i beleive. Right hand drive too! 
my plan is to take l26 and box out and install rb25det engine and 5 speed box. Ive owned many skylines and jdm imports but never a Z so would like to combine the look with the power from new heart! 
im an auto electrician by trade and have been for 10 years now. If you have any electrical questions im more than happy to receive pm’s through the forum and ill also try my best to help out with posts asking for help! 

good to be here and im sure there will be many questions but from ive seen so far there is an exstensive amount of info here !

Dan

• Like 3

Here are some pics of when we bought the car. I was reading through the service history and it only has 66,000kms. we also found an rb25det With gearbox, ecu and loom Out of an r33 skyline for a good price! I got to see it running  the car beforehand and apparently only has 117,000kms but you never know with import cars! Compression test came up quite well sitting at approx 150psi across all 6 (dry)
BC2BB7BB-5566-4BBF-82C1-2BEB7C86A406.jpeg

7260C2A4-3E31-4A76-9BFE-6B2BB595A4FB.jpeg

43A546D5-0C09-433C-9509-DE935F0D1864.jpeg

Edited by Millerman
  • Like 3

You could use a CD009 to get 6spd manual and keep it in the Z family, there are some kits out there to use them with a RB25 and they are well regarded for their ability to handle lots of abuse if you plan on doing a big turbo.

Edited by Agret

10 minutes ago, Agret said:

You could use a CD009 to get 6spd manual and keep it in the Z family, there are some kits out there to use them with a RB25 and they are well regarded for their ability to handle lots of abuse if you plan on doing a big turbo.

Already have 5 speed from the r33, thanks though!

Thanks everyone! Got a hell of a project to get through now! 

Dont know if you guys care too much about the datsun side of things but had some spare time over weekend and remove some interior to inspect floor etc for rust. Not much rust at all in the major parts which is good! Was expecting it to all be eaten out haha 
still have a lot of work to be done! 

015BEBA9-4C7E-4653-9E68-9F4DE4C4FD87.jpeg

76C6F34E-E0AD-4AAE-90F1-F1370B86AB09.jpeg

01B869D2-6D53-4FCC-B193-DF99E5F4B89E.jpeg

I think 90% of people on here would love to do the same thing! 

Datsuns and rust is like a dog chasing its tail.... They can look good on the surface and next minute you've drilled out 400 spot welds and there's not much left!

Good luck with it all, especially the rust repairs!  I look forward to seeing it all come together. 

If you don't mind me asking what $$ did you pick up the car for? I can't convince myself that I can live with the 2+2 but the 2 seater is insanely priced nowadays and out of reach for me now. 

2 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

I think 90% of people on here would love to do the same thing! 

Datsuns and rust is like a dog chasing its tail.... They can look good on the surface and next minute you've drilled out 400 spot welds and there's not much left!

Good luck with it all, especially the rust repairs!  I look forward to seeing it all come together. 

If you don't mind me asking what $$ did you pick up the car for? I can't convince myself that I can live with the 2+2 but the 2 seater is insanely priced nowadays and out of reach for me now. 

Picked it up for under 10k but i have had to do 2k worth of repairs to one of his other cars also. 

i know they look slightly different but suits me perfectly as i have a little boy that loves his cars and would absolutely love to come for a cruise with mum and dad in it once its done!

27 minutes ago, Shoota_77 said:

Sounds like a good deal to me!

Yeah the 2+2 is definitely more functional. The rear of the coupe is basically useless!

Anyway, look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Should look something similar to this when done 

4C1FC6F8-F3BD-42DE-968F-09E52E07D535.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Millerman said:

Should look something similar to this when done 

Hmmmm. But perhaps a bit further off the ground to keep the Regency boys on side. Plus or minus a few other things that won't fly here, like the bumpers, cage, possibly the wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Parts arrival update! 

Have received all my bits for rear disc conversion based of an r31 4 stud setup. Have new rda pads and rda slitted + dotted rotors, r31 standard calipers in good nic and custom mounting brackets too suit the conversion! 

Bought some new wheels and tyres, we got rota rb-r wheels with bridgestone potenza re003’s.

Raceworks high pressure fuel pump (bosch 044 equivalent) 

And the most important part.... engine mounts, gearbox mount and gearbox crossmember!!

Heres a few pics and will upload more shortly!

3716C1DC-1F40-40D9-93A0-1D115917DEBB.jpeg

8D666460-1B06-4E99-BB90-32A5AABE94E7.jpeg

E2C3E338-E0BE-488B-83F7-0FABAD22BAE3.png