SAU Community

Importing R32 GTRs Australia

Hi all 

This question has probably been asked a thousand times however i’m looking for some information regarding the import of R32 GTRs to Aus.

I’ve seen a few comments from people saying that R32 GTRs are basically no longer being imported. Is this true? 

The only reason I wish to import is because the prices for a GTR in Australia are 75K minimum (Bit too much for me at the moment).

I’ve looked at price history on J-Spec (I know I know they have some shady stories). However I have seen cars graded at 3.5/4 or good condition R/RA cars with minor damage going for 45-55k? And there are GTRs constantly for up auction on J-Spec.

My question is, is 45-55k a realistic price for a GTR that isn’t a ‘dud’ and completely full of rust or severely damaged in some way, or am I dreaming? 

Would reputable importers such as Iron Chef even bother looking for one? 

Thank you all in advance. Please point me in the right direction. With your help I can be one step closer to achieving my dream since a little boy. 

From what I’ve heard there’s 2 types of gtr left in Japan, collector cars worth 100s of thousands or the junk no body wants. All the stuff in between has already been exported 

Is that 45-55 including all import and broker charges?

then factor in if it’s got a lot of problems that need fixing before rego and compliance. 
If it’s garbage and still needs lots of work then the ones that start at $70k and are already registered don’t look so bad.

Plus you can inspect the car yourself before handling over your hard earned cash

• 2 weeks later...

On top of the sale price you will need to pay transport. That’s around 3k. Then there is gst and import duty which are 10% each. Then engineering/compliance. Plus, you are buying an unknown. Rust is a killer in these cars. No one checks for it either. Spend 75k here you can you can get a qualified mechanic inspect it before you buy and tell you how good/bad of a car it is. 

If you want a clean one Garage Yoshida sells incredibly clean cars. Really doesn't hide anything either: https://www.garage-yoshida.net/car/

I doubt it will be cheaper than buying one already landed but I've yet to see a single seller of these cars that will pull the engine and do basically a full gasket/hose/etc refresh before putting it up for sale. In the US usually if that happens it's because they realized they screwed up the rebuild and they want to pawn it off on someone else before it becomes too obvious that the engine needs to be pulled apart again.

• Like 1