Tow Bars for Stageas

Sydneykid

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The welding is due to the fact that the towbar mounts to the chassis rails, which is also where the last exhaust hanger mounts. For the hanger to fit over the towbar, it needs to be cut in half and extended 10mm to suit.

But, yes, if it wasnt for that little annoyance, I would have done it yonks ago.

Give I don't want to muck around with 'a bit of welding' :) I've booked mine in in Melbourne for two weeks time. Will do a rated 2000kg, costs a bit more ($770 fully made and fitted), but doesn't require a trip to canberra, or one sent down that might need tweeking..

I'll keep everyone informed.

Ian

All the welding that is needed is cutting the exhaust hanger bracket in half and then widening it by 10mm to fit over the metal now covering the chassis rail.

I might get mine installed next week. Already got the car booked in for a heap of stuff, might as well get it done at the same time. One of those variety jobs.

All the welding that is needed is cutting the exhaust hanger bracket in half and then widening it by 10mm to fit over the metal now covering the chassis rail.

No, I meant I was tempted to weld one together from scratch... :D

• 3 months later...

OK. A lot has gone on before about towbars, mostly before I got my S1.

Anyway I am getting a properly engineered bar designed and built

It will differ greatly from what has been done before. The main difference being the triangular anchorage of the bar back under the petrol tank and anchored on the diff carrier. This is the way Nissan designed and attached the bars for the R30 series.

If anyone is interested in a bar let me know, remembering that will be at least

3-4 months before its going to be available.

The Stagea is the first vehicle I have bought without "Towbar Insurance"

Cheers 66yo

No, I meant I was tempted to weld one together from scratch... :)

Ian,

where did you get yours done?

any chance of a phone number?

Thanks

MeLKoR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
The R32 GTST weighs 1245 kgs and the trailer 410 kgs. Previously we have used a number of Foulcans and Commondoors. The closest thing to the Stagea was our Foulcan Waggon, it weighed 1610 kgs had 170 kw and was an auto. Having tried several manuals we found the auto to be much better, the lack of an LSD was a problem occasionally and ABS would have been nice. The Foucan was rated to tow 2,200 kgs with electric trailer brakes. The Stagea weighs 1,658 kgs, it's an auto, 4wd, it has ABS and LSD. The standard Power is 173 kw. The torque is a bit less than the 4 litre Foulcan, but nothing a few mods won't fix easily.

If we tie off the tow bar mounts to the rear subframe mounts it should have higher integrity than the Foulcan with it's live rear axle and leaf springs. So unless there is some inherent lack of rear chassis strength in the Stagea, I can't see a problem.

Hi all! ...sorry to comment on such an old post (and a little O/T)... but if you see this message Sydneykid (or anyone else who knows), you say above that "it has ABS and LSD" - are there really auto Stageas with LSD? All I have read says that the 260RS had "mechanical LSD", and that it was an option on the manual S2's. From that I assumed that the autos didn't have any kind of LSD? Or do they have an electronic version or something?

• 5 weeks later...
Hey Tee or Andrew, can one of you guys give Max a call? he needs to confirm some measurements :P

Yeah i'll give him a call, should be able to see him this arvo to get those dimensions for you

edit: he's coming to see me on staurday to measure up my towbar

Matt, there are plenty of photos if you flick back a few pages in this post

thread RE: towing capacity. no real towing capacity details, its more the gearbox you need to concern yourself with, and the load it would be under. To be honest, until someone tows something with one, and breaks their gearbox, i guess we'll never know. Get a tranny cooler for sure though. Basically a 185kW engine will pull the same as any other 185kW engine i guess... not sure.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=140733