SAU Community

The Next GT-R (November '04 update)

Rezz

Yet another page in the next GT-R development unfolds...

a) Nissan are well aware of the popularity of the GT-R outside of Japan, and are looking to make the next GT-R well and truly stand out more than previous incarnations. The "World Market GT-R" as it were... just by translating the article from Holiday Auto, you can feel that the next GT-R has truly broken away from the "old" R-series GT-Rs... (I can hear the crying and monitor bashing from here!)

B) Porsche 911 Turbo is going down... in fact, it seems Nissan are already claiming victory (???)... such is their confidence after the Nurburgring tests. Aparently, the first test failed because some driveline hardware was faulty, but the subsequent 2 tests were successful enough for Nissan to make final descisions on the driveline: 3.2L V6 Twin electric-assisted Turbo, FR-L platform (Primary Front engine/Rear wheel drive transaxel, motor-assisted front wheel drive or "e-4WD") with Getrag 7-speed sequential gearbox.

After much deliberation about 3.0, 3.5 and even 4.1L capacities for the VQ engine, they've decided on 3.2. The thing to bear in mind here is the Porsche 911 Turbo... it seems Nissan may want to defeat Porsche with less capacity...

Expected final power output: 480ps @ 7,200rpm, 58.0kg/m @ 5,200rpm.

c) Other specs of note are the "semi-wet sump" (as opposed to the dry sump originally quoted) and the aluminium spaceframe, steel cabin and bulk usage of carbon throughout.

And now... let the cursing and coffee spitting-out begin...

3gtrpic1.jpg

This... my fellow SAU brethren... is one of the submissions from a joint Nissan Japan/Europe/US design team that is going into the draw for an "in-house" GT-R design competition... :spcow:

3gtrpic2.jpg

Just a little bit cloooooserrrrrrrr... :spcow: :spcow:

Just when you thought they couldn't F$%# up the GT-R design anymore... I give you:

THE REAR END!!! :)

3gtrpic3.jpg

:spcow: :spcow: :spcow:

3gtr_specs.jpg

Of note here is the 255/40/20 front, 285/35/20 rear tyre size on 20" wheels.

Thats about it for now... theres still quite alot of the article that I haven't translated yet, but it all centers around the transaxel and Getrag gearbox which even Holiday Auto themselves aren't so sure about (the Getrag box in particular).

Stay tune...

/Rezz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the info Rezz

now as for that joint design team, they should be all fired asap. Granted that the front end is an improvement over the v35 and v36 design IMO, butt (excuse the pun), what the hell is that rear end??? I'll tell you exactly what it is, it is a big fat ugly arse. I could live with the front end as its not too bad but the back YUK!!

what is good is the pumping out of the rear panels above the 20inch rims of big fat tyres

However, in short summary of the look of the car, its not GTR material. It needs to be improved. What is the reaction over there in japan, are people happy or is there intense rioting from GTR fans :hellpisd:

The technological aspect is a winner with me, and have never doubted Nissan to fail in that regard. Its just the bloody styling of Nissan these bloody (coung Ghosn cough) days that is all wrong. Fair enough to try and bring luxury type styling to pulsars and maximas but for pete's sake, this is the GTR!!!!

specs look awesome ... but design?? **** me man ... that just sucks ... why'd u want to make a GTR look like an audi for?? stick with the classic GTR r32-34 shape .. these europeans are idiots ... they must have some fetish for fat women ... not that theres anything wrong with it ... just dont' put it on the cars :)

I don't know ........ I am starting to dig the way it is turning out, at least they have gone back to the round tail lights.

Don't get me wrong there is heaps to do to improve on the appearance, but at least now they seem to be heading in the right direction......... sort of :)

Thanks for the update Rezz.

GEEZ, mixed emotions about this one! I love the specs on the car, but the design?.....W - T - F?? :throwup: Nissan have either made 5yr olds make the design, or they're smoking something. Theres no rear spoiler either? Im guessing theres alot of downforce happening with the aerodynamics under the car?

But that seriously, is UGLY. It has shattered me!

WAKE UP NISSAN!!!!! (body design wise) ;)

Steve.

believe no one but us...*shakes hands with Rezz*...didn't we say :D
Yeah, and now your as good as gone (back to AU) aren't ya? What am I gonna do now? I need some gaijin backup here in Japan so it doesn't look like we're making all this up... :D

There is no way that body design will make it to market. I'm more interested in this e-4wd crap. And mismatched rim widths and tyre sizes on a 4WD vehicle? This is all pointing to strangeness. How much torque is really going to be coming from the front wheels in an e-4wd car with 480ps at the rears????