SAU Community

stuff idiots say about skylines

nrma mech. comes to tow my car,

"nice skyline, my son loves them, has his 3rd now so ive been living with them for ages"

me: aw yeh? is it a gtr or gtst???

mech: pauses, then says with amazing conviction.... "its a gtr-st"

me: sounds really rare mate.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuddnt give a stuff what people say about skylines because in the end, a 16grand R32 with couple of grand of bolt ons can take lengths on the new R8 Maloo thats worth over 90 grand.

so pppft to what they say :) haha

Yeah, and a 16 grand GTR usually needs a shit tonne of servicing to be somewhat reliable and is less driveable than a maloo for a street car.

No Replacement for Displacement ;) Spend less money than the bolt-ons on a MAFless tune for the Maloo and see where you stand then. 90 grand for brand new. How much were GTRs brand new?

Yeah, and a 16 grand GTR usually needs a shit tonne of servicing to be somewhat reliable and is less driveable than a maloo for a street car.

No Replacement for Displacement ;) Spend less money than the bolt-ons on a MAFless tune for the Maloo and see where you stand then. 90 grand for brand new. How much were GTRs brand new?

Petrol station owners love that saying too.

In regards to servicing requirements and new unit price, they're a 17-22 year old car these days. It's to be expected.

Each car has their merits, but comparing the two is apples and oranges.

Shit ton of servicing? Are you putting sand in your oil or something because any issues Ive had with my skyline is simply nit picking at the car just to bring it to perfection, nothing hindering reliability. Isn't every car like that if you want to keep it in its peak performance? A skyline is just like every other car, wheels, motor, gearbox. You can treat it like shit, or you can baby it. The choice is yours. You gonna buy a 90k maloo and not do frequent servicing? Its a 20 years younger car than the average skyline, something tells me that might just have some teeny tiny effect on the servicing methods eh. How long will a holden last you?

No replacement for displacement is a stupid statement. I can blow it out of proportion and say that a Porsche developed a 5.5L V10 motor which will oblitirate bigger motors. Its not about displacement. Displacement gives you power at the wheels, a well designed and built motor and car will move you faster. Little rotary engine, just a 1.3L can produce over 800rwhp.

I would take a Stock as a rock R32, R33 or R34 GTR(you can choose), over a modded to the top Maloo any day of the year. You can drive a commodore, or you can drive a skyline.

Another dumb thing people say about skylines is how much servicing they need to keep them reliable. So many times I get shit from other Falcondore drivers telling me my car will probably break down every set of lights... lol.

Edited by SargeRX8

Dno what your on about mate, but my 1994 GTR i had a MTA inspection and compression test and it drives and runs very good, inspection bloke has had alot of experience with imports and he said mine was one of the best his ever driven.

Id much rather my option, its reliable too so i have no idea what ur on about ay

So if u had a maloo you wouldnt service it every 5000 ? :S

What do u mean less driveable... they are both low cars, and both wanted cars, and both fast and cops love both of them,

seriously your making no sense

Edited by sultanaz

i thought only mazda drivers quoted it at 1.3L :whistling:

Its a 2 stroke motor so it is often considered as 2.6L motor and in competitions its not raced against 1.3L motors but against larger class motors like the jz and rb. but the fact is if you filled up each rotor chamber with fluid, it will take 1.3L of fluid, 650cc per rotor.

nrma mech. comes to tow my car,

"nice skyline, my son loves them, has his 3rd now so ive been living with them for ages"

me: aw yeh? is it a gtr or gtst???

mech: pauses, then says with amazing conviction.... "its a gtr-st"

me: sounds really rare mate.

You know the best part

Your fail-line was broken down

Its a 2 stroke motor so it is often considered as 2.6L motor and in competitions its not raced against 1.3L motors but against larger class motors like the jz and rb. but the fact is if you filled up each rotor chamber with fluid, it will take 1.3L of fluid, 650cc per rotor.

LOL 2-Stroke

Lay down before you hurt yourself

I am afraid the GTR's back in the day were much more advanced and competitive cars than something like the Maloo is today (relatively speaking).

I don't hate stuff like the Maloo, but they are only good for the drag strip to be honest and that goes for the FPV stuff too. Around a handling track they are shamed by most sports cars. The Maloo did a 1:27 on the top gear test track which is a power circuit and that is only 1 sec faster than a Lotus Elise.

Hell V8 barges are so uncompetitive they had to invent their own race formula to put them in. ;)

Edited by Tony de Wonderful

2 stroke?!>_<

Strictly speaking it only has one chamber which is the 'housing', the space between the rotor and chamber is dynamic as it rotates so it is arguable where you should actually measure it for 'displacement'.

LOL 2-Stroke

Lay down before you hurt yourself

There is too much talk and debate about it. Some say 2 stroke, some say 4 stroke. Some even say 6 stroke(1080 revolution to complete a full engine cycle). Rotated 360degrees it is seen as a 2 stroke. I don't know for sure its not my interest, I just regurgitate what I read.

Displacement of a piston engine is defined as area of the piston head x travel of piston x # of pistons.

However, mazda does it by how much air one face of the rotor can suck in at a time x # of rotors, not all 3 faces of the rotor.

The "2.6 liter" arguement comes from logical deduction based off of the power it makes, the air and fuel it uses, and how fast turbos spool up on it... and that for 4 stroke piston engines (which are by far the most commonly used racing motor, and then some) it takes two revolutions to use all the displacement, and two revolutions of a 13b is 2.6 liters.

Getting hung up on its displacement is stupid. Its an emotional attachment to part of the marketing that attracted some people to the engine in the first place, and how a lot of the fans reaffirm to THEMSELVES how superior it is. Heres a hint: power per liter is utterly irrelevant. Thinking its a 1.3 liter engine is just stubbornness. If you actually comprehend how enignes work and all the math and physics behind it, you quickly discover it simply makes no sense in application... unless its a single rotor motor.

Thinking its a 1.3 liter engine because youre going by one crank revolution is ignorance of the fact that it takes THREE revolutions to use the entire motor.

Saying its 1.3 liters becuase youre "going by the combustion chambers " is equally stupid. That would make a v8 with 64cc chambers a 512cc motor.

The bottom line is per 360° of crank (or e-shaft) revolution each individual rotor will displace .65 liters of air. VE will decide if its more or less. Superchargers or Turbochargers decide how much mass of air is in that volume.

Calling it a 2.6 liter makes sense becuase a 4 stroke (two revolution) engine is the STANDARD by which everything else is compared, for a damn good reason! Two strokes are used for sporting applications, two stroke DIESELS are only used in some specialized industrial applications, and fourstroke diesels and gasoline engines are all over the place becuase they give the best return for investment in terms of performance, reliability, and economy.

The rotary is the exception to the rule, that might be why you like it, but you cant have it both ways. Pedantically speaking, a 13b is a 3-revolution 3.9 liter engine. But becuase you WANT it to be a small displacement engine becuase someone convinced you hp per liter actually matters, you'll come up with hairbrained arguements against it. In the 2-revolution world, which is the one I live in, its a 2.6 liter engine. In a 1-revolution world, its a 1.3 liter.

Get it? Got it? GOOD! Someone should make this a sticky already.

Edited by SargeRX8

Petrol station owners love that saying too.

In regards to servicing requirements and new unit price, they're a 17-22 year old car these days. It's to be expected.

Each car has their merits, but comparing the two is apples and oranges.

Exactly ;)

Shit ton of servicing? Are you putting sand in your oil or something because any issues Ive had with my skyline is simply nit picking at the car just to bring it to perfection, nothing hindering reliability. Isn't every car like that if you want to keep it in its peak performance? A skyline is just like every other car, wheels, motor, gearbox. You can treat it like shit, or you can baby it. The choice is yours. You gonna buy a 90k maloo and not do frequent servicing? Its a 20 years younger car than the average skyline, something tells me that might just have some teeny tiny effect on the servicing methods eh. How long will a holden last you?

No replacement for displacement is a stupid statement. I can blow it out of proportion and say that a Porsche developed a 5.5L V10 motor which will oblitirate bigger motors. Its not about displacement. Displacement gives you power at the wheels, a well designed and built motor and car will move you faster. Little rotary engine, just a 1.3L can produce over 800rwhp.

I would take a Stock as a rock R32, R33 or R34 GTR(you can choose), over a modded to the top Maloo any day of the year. You can drive a commodore, or you can drive a skyline.

Another dumb thing people say about skylines is how much servicing they need to keep them reliable. So many times I get shit from other Falcondore drivers telling me my car will probably break down every set of lights... lol.

Your 2wd S2 33 is a bit different than a 32 GTR for 16k. But regardless it will need a lot more servicing allover the place compared to a brand new maloo.

I was not talking about performance on a track or drag strip with my displacement statement. I said for street cars. Say you got a 2.6L Turbo 6 with 300kw. Its in no way a replacement for an N/A 6L V8 with 300kw. V8 has better power curve,more torque,revs less and will be more reliable over all.

And yes you do need to Service them properly or you will end up on the side of the road ;)(Unless its a 20 lol). Turbocharged engines take more stress and can have more things go wrong.

Dno what your on about mate, but my 1994 GTR i had a MTA inspection and compression test and it drives and runs very good, inspection bloke has had alot of experience with imports and he said mine was one of the best his ever driven.

Id much rather my option, its reliable too so i have no idea what ur on about ay

So if u had a maloo you wouldnt service it every 5000 ? :S

What do u mean less driveable... they are both low cars, and both wanted cars, and both fast and cops love both of them,

seriously your making no sense

Well you must have got a bloody good deal for 16k for a 94 model. Congrats.

Most GTRs for 16k need a lot of lovin down the track.

2.6L race engine VS 6/6.2L V8 is just less driveable on the street. Lag is present and torque is missing. Just the facts.

Say you got a 2.6L Turbo 6 with 300kw. Its in no way a replacement for an N/A 6L V8 with 300kw. V8 has better power curve,more torque,revs less and will be more reliable over all.

That's a spurious argument. Why would I want to compare a 300 kw 2.6L with a 300 kw 6L? I may as well reply with "let's compare a 2.6L with 500 lbs of torque to a 6.0L with 500 lbs of torque", oh yeah and my 2.6L revs to 10 k and your V8 6k. :) See yah!

That's a spurious argument. Why would I want to compare a 300 kw 2.6L with a 300 kw 6L? I may as well reply with "let's compare a 2.6L with 500 lbs of torque to a 6.0L with 500 lbs of torque", oh yeah and my 2.6L revs to 10 k and your V8 6k. :) See yah!

How is torque made?

Its Rotating Mass(Vague explanation). Why would a V8 "need" or "want" to rev to 10K when it does not need to, to make the same torque as your small 6?

Less Revs means less wear. IE:Moreso reliable.