SAU Community

Munch, Munch I had a piston for lunch :(

RTFGTR

I'm a dickhead!

I had a few issues with the car after PI track day... but all was looking good after I cleaned the spark plugs and to cut a long story short I decided to take full advantage of the long weekend and take a trip down the coast. Drive was awesome and I had no issues getting there and return trip until half way back on Sunday night. Anyway, I have had it looked at this morning (leak down test) and have blown piston no. 6 and probably done some more damage yet to be confirmed as engine still needs to be pulled out.

A. Will not be attending MAS 05 - sorry guys (I can still organise banners and tables for event)

B. With an opportunity like this... should I get the works (forged everything) or just get single piston replaced?

C. Should I go to Racepace (I know Ben is great @ rebuilds) or leave the work to the dude who has my car at the moment (Cromwell Auto) does allot of rally cars (WRX's and good old 120B's)

D. Please insert comment hear.........................

Please go easy on the insults and discipline I deserve and be more productive with your replies.

:D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn that sucks, anything that gets your car off the road is a pain in the arse. If the engine is coming out might as well go forged and get anything else you can think of done to save on labour. I have no idea what any of that would be only just getting into the Nissans myself but same as when I was going to get a new cam in my previous V8, port polish etc was jack all to add ontop of the install costs.

hmmmm just call me nostradamus :D

I know! I had it booked in for this morning B4 I went on my little trip (760km round trip) down to Orbost.

Anyway, gotta keep looking on the bright side...

C. Should I go to Racepace (I know Ben is great @ rebuilds) or leave the work to the dude who has my car at the moment (Cromwell Auto) does allot of rally cars (WRX's and good old 120B's)

BENNO!!!!

Take it to Benno and you'll be one of the 100's of happy customers.

Lemme know if you need his details :D

Hopefully see ya tonight for the MAS meeting (we need to go over banners)

-ash

BENNO!!!!

Take it to Benno and you'll be one of the 100's of happy customers.

Lemme know if you need his details  :D

Hopefully see ya tonight for the MAS meeting (we need to go over banners)

-ash

Send me / Post the details... his website does not have a phone number from memory.

Robin - that sucks dude.

If you can afford to rebuild the whole engine with forgies then DO IT. Mate the rest of the car is a monster and the stock internals is the only thing stopping that car from being a weapon of mass destruction. And I would get Ben to do it.

Robin - that sucks dude.

If you can afford to rebuild the whole engine with forgies then DO IT. Mate the rest of the car is a monster and the stock internals is the only thing stopping that car from being a weapon of mass destruction. And I would get Ben to do it.

:werd:

PM sent

I agree, benno is the man.

But, Im gunna go out on a limb here, (and also not knowing your turbo setup)

unless your after huge HP or RPM, then properly prepped standard GTR rods are fine.

I do however recommend forged pistons (i think ben uses sps by memory).

Also depends on your budget and what the man has to say

Rosco

It was breathing a fare bit the other weekend but now it has let go you'd have to be pissed. Getting a dyno run when it came over may have helped prolong the damage. Possibly a warning to others looking at doing track days. Mine is off the road with a blown rear turbo so I feel for you mate.

That sucks dude, hope you have the cash to get that monster back on the road!

Yeah unless your going for over 400rwkw then the standard rods are fine, shoudl be able to get away with forged pistons. But Speak to Ben about it all and decide what you want to do. We can all speculate, but he's the magician.

Just got off the phone with Ben and it's going to Racepace... will be off the road for a while but I'M EXCITED just like Big Kev about the end result.

** Donations are fully tax deductable... please make payment to "Robin's a moron for driving down the coast last weekend fund"

My motor was built by Ben 3 years ago and it is still within 2 or 3 kw atw of what it was originally. Which i think is brilliant considering the stresses in a 600 or so hp motor.

-Nathan

Just got my thing back from Ben - very happy...

Sorry to hear the news Robin - what did it / how did it happen?

I think PI track day had a bit to do with it... getting heaps of blow-by on the track, but I think the main cause was me and not getting things done when they should have been done like tuning and ECU upgrade. No use crying over spilt milk though and why start learning/doing things the easy way now? I've learnt/done the hard way all my life! :Oops:

lol sorry to hear robin...

but yeah... now u can get lots of goodies for it and turn it into an even bigger monster :D

sure it will be worth the wait :)

Bugger:(

Good luck with it all. Be honest with what you want from the car and dont get carried away with the re-build. If you want the whole show then cool...but its all too easy to say "may as well get rods as well, oh and cams, oh and headwork..." When you would have been happy with just pistons and the car back on the road with good reliable hp.

You will work it out, good luck with it all:thumbsup: