SAU Community

What's with the R33 GTR?

Just had a quick browse around the FS section, there's 6-7 of them on the market right now. Curious as to why people getting rid of it and quite a few of them haven't move for months and months..

Is it the market a bit slow at the moment or people only willing to pay $30k (just a random figure) for it?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a Y2k bug in the 33 gtr that actually takes effect on the last japanese emporers sons birthday.

Boosting over 6,000rpm causes the entire car to let out an enormous high pitched noise that only dogs can hear.

:wassup:

MIC33R The whole performance car market is just depressed at the moment. Not sure why, but I've noticed people complaining about it on other forums too.

Probably because of fuel prices

Thanks for all your constructive comments.

Umm now R33 being ugly, it's just personal preference really as some of us liked the whale more than the bone job R32 or R34. Actually some people might not have a choice - liked a R32 but it's getting a bit long in the teeth but can't spend $60k at a R34 so R33 seems like a good compromise.

And hell yeah, the whole sports/high performance cars market is seriously depressed.

GTR's have very high running costs.....

I think alot of people that buy them forget to budget for this. They only realise after a few months of ownership that they can't afford to keep the car.

My running costs on my GTR arent much higher than on my gts-t

Fuel bill is the same. Insurance is higher on the GTR. Maintenance is the same, etc.

The only bigger cost with this car, is the fact that im modifying it :D

Upgrade to an R34 yeah if we could all be so lucky and have million dollar pockets.

$30 - $35K for a R33 GTR

$65K if your lucky upwards for a R34 GTR hell if they were like 10K apart like the R32 - R33 than yeah get the more expensive one but lets be realistic most of us can't afford a literal double the price jump.

I only have an R33 GTS-t but i'd have to agree with 'Tommyk'.

The GTS-t vs GTR use the same fuel, same oil, same number of plugs, filters, etc.

Now apart from the initial purchase price and insurance provided nothing breaks on the GTR I can't see the running costs being any different.

The biggest killer on the GTR is the initial purchase price.

The biggest killer on the GTS-t is the high rate of depreciation.

Ahh but that's a rebuild cost due to highly modified or bad tuning (or 150,000km of torture).

Consider Stock GTS-t vs Stock GTR with no drag/track/street racing....

They look betta than a s13. dude.

Well thats definately a matter of personal opinion. :)

To be honest i think 90% of s13's I see and 90% of r33's I see are just flat out ugly because they have been riced badly and on the cheap..

Well thats definately a matter of personal opinion. :P  

To be honest i think 90% of s13's I see and 90% of r33's I see are just flat out ugly because they have been riced badly and on the cheap..

Thats personal opinion again :)

R33s aren't ugly. Some of them are poorly styled, some of them are showing their age because of poor/no exterior modifications. I think series 1 gtst's without any bodykit look dodgy mostly because of the rear spoiler - but as GTS33SOM said, that's personal opinion.

Overall I don't think R33s are ugly at all, and frankly I think it's rude to come to a skyline forum and say "R33s are ugly" when about 1/3 of us here (at least) own R33s. If I thought R32s were ugly I would keep it to myself because I would realise that a) it's subjective and B) why should I care if someone else has what I think is an ugly car?

Plus, in all honesty cars grow on you. I used to think R33s were unattractive, then after a while I looked again and thought "Hmm you know what? I can see where it's coming from now, it's a Japanese muscle car". You also have to look at it in terms of its Nissan stablemates. Put an S14a next to an R33 and notice the similarities. Same goes for S14b and series 2, S15 and R34, S13 and R32. Look at it in context. S13 used to look dog-ugly to me, and sileighty used to make me feel sick...now I actually like the sileighty styling, I'd buy one if I wanted a zippy second car. That's how styling can grow on you..

• 2 months later...

As a person that has owned all 3, I honestly thing 33's are subject to what I think was some Jap guys statement made years ago.

Something like '32 was a drivers car and 34 has finally got that back'. Now 32 does seem to be more RWDish and 34 probably moreso than the 33 but the 33 is an awesome car and I see absolutely no reason they are less desired other than many people taking a racedrivers respected opinion. Its like a pair of shoes you love but its not "in" so you don't wear em out much but they are just as good as the newer ones.

I'm not sure if I'm confusing you or making sense but its basically peer pressure.

For $30000 I'd rather a 33 than a 32...

I loved my 33.

I think the biggest killer for the R33 isn't so much that they're ugly cause they aren't. Its just the fact they are SO common, people are sick of seeing them same with S13s.

With regards to R33 GTRs, although they are a far superior car, $30+ K now gets you into a lot newer cars with the same kind of performance. Unless you're giving it a hurting or really know what you want most people would find a WRX or SS commy would give them the same kind of buzz without realising why the GTR costs what it does.

Don't get me wrong i'm not comparing them, but as far as the general car buying public goes, the other two cars are only a few years old as opposed to 8+. Its the same thinking that sees people buying WRXs thinking they're rally cars or SS buyers thinking they're buying Skaifes car....

A lot of bad taste with ANY car is the way they are modified. Having owned two Silvias I can tell youm without any contest they are the most HIDEOUSLY modified car ever. It all come down to the purchase price. Shitty neons, GT wings 13 inch wheels. Its the same as Excels and Civics. R33s are lesser afflicted but don't come out unscathed whereas most R32s i've seen seem to be going for the drifter, "I prang my car every 4 minutes so why fix it or wash it"look

I used to think R33s were unattractive, then after a while I looked again and thought "Hmm you know what? I can see where it's coming from now, it's a Japanese muscle car".

hahahahaha. :(

33GTST a japanese muscle car? mate, no offence but you are in dream land. 33GTR maybe, but 33GTST is about as bland as a 'performance' nissan gets. no where near being a 'japanese muscle car'. sorry.