thommo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My latch is now fixed.

Does your latch feel like new? My safety pin doesn't look as thick as yours and the latch doesn't feel as strong as before it broke.

The ash tray opens under heavy acceleration. I'm not sure exactly what's causing the problem. I haven't looked at it in months.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You are a legend mate.

It works a treat, but when i was putting the safety pin in place (after i cut the sharp point of with plyers) i stabbed my finger with it, pissed out blood! I think i hit the bone cause it hurts like hell!!!

Once again thanks heeps for the guide, but mabey put a warning for beware of idoits like myself getting stabbed by the pin :D

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Ok it's an old thread, but bloody hell what a great idea!

I did this yesterday. It kept p!ssing me off when the console lid would unlatch and swing open :D

Is sooo easy to fix- Nissan should've put a spring in there to begin with...

Thanks for the ingenious threads- keep 'em coming :)

agreed, f**king excellent! you are a champion!

mine broke the first day i owned my car, and has been pissing me off for over 5 fkn years, unlatching and flying open when i gas it!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing! i gotta same idea, some stuff of household use! but to use a save pin is really kewl!

thank you very much you are my champion!

cheers

Marcus

Edited by seonho

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Hey all,

Anyone else got a broken centre console latch?

You know, the little button you press to open that compartment behind the hand brake that you rest your left elbow on??

I have found on both my R33's that these were broken and didn't realise how annoying it had been till I fixed them.

Here's how I did it -

WHAT YOU WILL NEED - All you will need is a medium sized safety pin, Phillips head screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

TIME – 10 minutes.

DIFFICULTY – Piss easy! I reckon I could teach a monkey to do this.

STEP 1.

Remove console lid by undoing the 3 screws that go down into the console.

This may require a little gentle jiggling to clear the hinge springs after the screws are removed.

You should have the lid as in pic console01.

STEP 2.

Remove hinge from lid (3 screws) and all the screws (8) holding the plastic underside of the lid in place.

This will allow you to take out the latch, removing the broken bits of plastic that have been rattling round in there.

Refer pic console02.

STEP 3.

Find a medium sized safety pin, make sure that the size of the hole part on the pin is a snug fit over the latch pivot (pic console05).

Cut the head and point of the pin off, and bend with the pliers as per pics console03 & console04.

STEP 4.

Place pin within the latch as shown in the rest of the pics, then trim the pins top arm to be close to flush with the face of the plastic (pic console06).

STEP 5.

Put everything back together.

You should now have a nice firm feeling, spring loaded latch.

Hope this helps! :)

post-12522-1123161356.jpg