SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Have a set of PS3s on the Evo.

They have so far survived a very hard Nebo run without any problems - a bit of wear on the outer shoulders because I don't run aggresive -ve camber on a 99% street car (running -1.5 front, -1.0 rear / factory toe settings, 0 front, 3mm total toe in rear).

I think their true strength lies in the wet. Hit huge puddles of water at speed and the car tracks straight and true.

It isn't Michelin's top dry performer but you won't be giving much away on hard street driving.

It is a tyre that has come first (top 3 minimum) in a huge number of tyre tests in the past.

Now that the price is so affordable, why would you even consider federal/falken/maxxis/nexen/bridgestone/toyo equivalents?

They wear faster than I would like but equivalent to or better than B'stone RE002 for example.

• 1 month later...

My experience with Kumho Ecsta XS Ku36

Car: Nissan R34 GTT Coupe

Power: 290rwkw

Tyre Sizing: F 235/40R18

R 265/35R18

Rim Size: F 18x8

R 18x9

Car Use: Daily

Dry Grip: 8/10

Wet Grip: 7/10

Noise: 3/10

Wheel alignment: R 1.5 Degrees camber, 3mm toe

F 1 Degree camber, 0.5mm toe

Bought a full set of these tyres for $910 shipped. Grip for price comparison is very good. As mentioned they're not a true semi slick just a semi slick tread pattern etc etc..

Have read a lot of reviews about them being terrible in the wet, I have found that they handled fairly well and was not at all concerned driving around in the rain thinking the rear end was going to randomly slide out.

That being said if you find yourself wanting to look out the side window of your car at a "T" intersection while its raining it's very easy to do so but I found the car felt very confident doing so in these tyres if that makes any sense..

Being a daily I've done 20,000kms (12months) on the tyres and the rears are just skimming the tread wear indicators. The fronts have not changed much and probably have another 15,000kms (8-10months) in them.

Dry Grip under power is no worries, every now and then the back does kick out at full boost but could be the temp of the tyres because 90% of them time they stick well under full go.

The bad side I've had is the front tyres have feathered which happened about 2-3months of having them on, the noise is super annoying and there is even a very slight vibration in the steering from it. The road noise is louder than my 595 SS's were and bumps are abit harder due to

the harder side wall.

Summary: Will I be buying them again? No.. Due to this being my daily, the road noise is annoying and yes I can drain it out with music but I'm wanting to try out achillies 123s next and compare the tread wear.

I would suggest these tyres for a weekend car, no experience with any trackdays on this car but for someone looking for great dry grip at an affordable price these are great. Overall Rating 6/10

Reporting back on the AD08R. Great tyre. Lots of grip in wet and dry. A bit pricey though. Overall an excellent tyre.

Amir

Hi Amir

I was looking to get the AD08Rs as they were rated excellent in the dry and VERY GOOD in the wet on their site, but I read where it was said that if there is heavy rain with puddle patches they can aquaplane and you cannot do that on the twisty stuff unless you want to park in a tree or at the bottom of a gully.

I guess any tyres will aquaplane at a point but I want the best wet tyres I can get, anyone have a suggestion????except ,slow down :).... I do not drive like a maniac but like to feel as safe as possible :)

Pete

Like you said Pete, any tyre can aquaplane and that really depends on the puddle(s) you drive in more so than the tyre itself. I haven't driven them much in the wet but when I did, I really found them grippy and felt relatively safe doing high speeds in them (this was during a wet track day).

Cheers

Amir

Hi Amir

Well they had a good wrap on their website but that is business.

It is always best to get to the people using them in the conditions you are concerned about. .

I will keep looking as I have a lot of time before my build is finished and then wear my tyres down while I am running it in and after the final tune :)

Pirelli used to make good wet tyres , might have a look at them.

As my car will be pretty responsive I want the best rubber I can get.

Cheers

Recently got some KU39.

245 on the front and 265 on the rear.

Pretty reasonably priced at around $750 for the set.

Dry grip not too much better than my previous nexen 7000s, but wet grip was much, much better.

6/10 Dry

8/10 Wet

Edited by owen1r

Hi Amir

Well they had a good wrap on their website but that is business.

It is always best to get to the people using them in the conditions you are concerned about. .

I will keep looking as I have a lot of time before my build is finished and then wear my tyres down while I am running it in and after the final tune :)

Pirelli used to make good wet tyres , might have a look at them.

As my car will be pretty responsive I want the best rubber I can get.

Cheers

Couldn't agree more mate. What will you be using the car for predominantly?

As a DD but I have a great driving road here that is 50Klms long , lots of twisty stuff, hairpins and just about everything for a quiet Sunday morning drive :)

I have 2 Pirille PZeros on the back and they seem pretty good and I just had a look at there rating and they are a great wet tyre and not bad on dry, I might put them all round but for now I will keep looking.

Anyone used any of these

Hankook Ventus S1 EVO 2 type.

Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

I might be getting carried away a bit with this wet tyre obsession but shitty wet tyres can bite you on the ass :) as the Advan still rates pretty high as a DD/track tyre , wet/dry

Hi Amir

I was looking to get the AD08Rs as they were rated excellent in the dry and VERY GOOD in the wet on their site, but I read where it was said that if there is heavy rain with puddle patches they can aquaplane and you cannot do that on the twisty stuff unless you want to park in a tree or at the bottom of a gully.

I guess any tyres will aquaplane at a point but I want the best wet tyres I can get, anyone have a suggestion????except ,slow down :).... I do not drive like a maniac but like to feel as safe as possible :)

Pete

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/continental-extremecontact-dw-page-6

As a DD but I have a great driving road here that is 50Klms long , lots of twisty stuff, hairpins and just about everything for a quiet Sunday morning drive :)

I have 2 Pirille PZeros on the back and they seem pretty good and I just had a look at there rating and they are a great wet tyre and not bad on dry, I might put them all round but for now I will keep looking.

Anyone used any of these

Hankook Ventus S1 EVO 2 type.

Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

I might be getting carried away a bit with this wet tyre obsession but shitty wet tyres can bite you on the ass :) as the Advan still rates pretty high as a DD/track tyre , wet/dry

On my 2nd set of ad08r and i can say they do aquaplane quite abit when you hit a puddle

Having said that, they are rated as a extreme performance summer tyres so they are not 'great' in the wet

You would have to look at a more all round tyre (just have a look at tyres with deep water channels) but usually they are not that great on dry

There is no best of both worlds unfortunately

A good wet tyre that doesnt aquaplane as bad that i've used is the re002, but grip wise on the dry, ad08r hands down

Have you used them or driven a car with them one in the wet?

Yeah had second hand ones on the front of my R31 lol, didn't make a squeal and just kept gripping.

Although that's on an Aus spec R31 with softish suspension.

Import some Pilot Super Sports and be done with it :P

On my 2nd set of ad08r and i can say they do aquaplane quite abit when you hit a puddle

Having said that, they are rated as a extreme performance summer tyres so they are not 'great' in the wet

You would have to look at a more all round tyre (just have a look at tyres with deep water channels) but usually they are not that great on dry

There is no best of both worlds unfortunately

A good wet tyre that doesnt aquaplane as bad that i've used is the re002, but grip wise on the dry, ad08r hands down

Haha, hard to get everything in one tyre:)

The dry is not a problem for me but driving in a single twisty lane in water and start aquaplaning there is not much time to correct the situation without the best rubber and the best water dispersion tyres you can get.

I know shat all about tyres and thats why I am asking these questions, but looking at the tread on the AD08R and thinking of water in-between , it has to slide, there is nothing to grab the road. I am sure the rubber compound is soft enough but it looks too slickish to disperse the water.

I think I will get them and be careful in the rain :)

I have the AD08s on my 32 and haven't had them aquaplane yet, they do offer much more wet grip then the RE001s I replaced with the AD08s and dry grip difference between them is ridiculous

I have the Hankook RS-3s on my 34 in a bigger tyre and reckon the ADs are a alround better tyre