SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Ok so I'm looking for a set of sticky tyres for my R34 GTT sedan @ 275rwkw:

• Primarily for the track but also some occasional spirited driving (in the dry only)
  • I'd like something that can do several hot laps without getting greasy, and with consistent behaviour at the limit
  • I'd also like em to be able also be driven to the track and back, preferably without being completely deadly in the wet.
I am planning on keeping a separate set of tyres for daily duties.

I'm pretty sure what I'm after is a low treadwear UHP tyre like:

• Federal 595 RS-RR
  • Kumho KU36
  • Hankook Ventus RS-3
  • Toyo R1R
Any recommendations?

I'm pretty sold on the 595 RS-RR but being a fairly new tyre I can't find many trackside reports, can anyone share their experiences?

Other options are proper semis:

• Hankook Ventus TD Z221
  • Nitto NT01
  • Toyo R888
From the dozens of threads I've trawled through it sounds like these are pretty much track only due to noise, harshness and lack of grip in the wet. Does anyone ever drive these on the street or is that a dumb idea?

Oh and I'd like to get the set in 235/45R17 (or 225/45R17) for under $1k so it's most likely going to be St George or Taleb off eBay.

Thanks in advance!

rs-rr is said to be exactly the same compound as rsr. it has all the same specs even the same price. I think i read somewhere that all they do is cast it slightly differently.

have you considered nt05? that will be my next tyre to try.

• Like 1

As mentioned in my previous post #1451, I've tried Toyo R1R and Nitto NT05

@V28VX37, I got my R1R tyres from St George Tyres. (NT05 from Taleb)

Toyo R1R and Federal RSR was offered to me there, but I chose Toyo due to stock for 255/40/17.

I really wanted to try federal RSR but they only had 235/45/17.

Based on drag racing with my R34 GTT, Toyo R1R is still my favourite grippy tyre.

220rwkw NT05 13.4s.... 2.2s 60 ft.... 5k launch

220rwkw R1R 13.2s.... 2.1s 60 ft.... 5.5k launch <<<< needed 5.5k because so grippy :D

295rwkw MTSC 13.1s.... 2.4s 60 ft.... 3k launch (horrid)

295rwkw R1R 12.5s.... 1.99s 60 ft.... 5k launch <<<<< my best 1.99s 60 ft because so grippy :D

This is my daily so I use these tyres on street and at drags. IMO, R1R lasted almost twice as long than NT05.

@Hadouken On my mates 260rwkw R34, NT05's couldnt handle the power. But AWD is a different story :D

Only me and my RWD friends(GTT, GTT, 335i, XR6T) complain about traction, but my AWD friends are having no problems (Ralliart, WRX) with >300 treadwear / $60 anybrand tyres

I don't do track / circuit, however, I do enjoy twisty cruises with mates. Both NT05 and R1R performed well at Palm Beach / Old Pacific HWY.

I didn't dare try any twisty cruises with Mickey Thompson Street Comp - Didn't want to die :) These couldnt grip on simple roundabouts.

Edited by statue
  • Like 2

rs-rr is said to be exactly the same compound as rsr. it has all the same specs even the same price. I think i read somewhere that all they do is cast it slightly differently.

have you considered nt05? that will be my next tyre to try.

Cheers Hadouken, good to know. I looked into the NT05 last night and it's a 200 treadwear tyre in the size that I'm after, compared to 140 of the RS-RR. I know that treadwear is not everything but the RS-RR is closer to the range I was thinking.

@Hadouken On my mates 260rwkw R34, NT05's couldnt handle the power. But AWD is a different story :D

Only me and my RWD friends(GTT, GTT, 335i, XR6T) complain about traction, but my AWD friends are having no problems (Ralliart, WRX) with >300 treadwear / $60 anybrand tyres

I don't do track / circuit, however, I do enjoy twisty cruises with mates. Both NT05 and R1R performed well at Palm Beach / Old Pacific HWY.

Thanks Statue great info! Interesting about the NT05, my car is RWD and definitely struggles for traction with the current Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's from a standing start. Not really surprising given the 235 section vs. 275rwkw, however I prefer keeping a square setup for the time being so that it's easier to rotate the tyres.

It's a decent tyre (300 treadwear) but not really up to track work based on my Sandown experiences earlier this year.

Something that I've read elsewhere on SAU is that certain semis/street semis don't like being spun much as it causes them to overheat and get greasy. I wonder how the RS-RR behaves in this respect?

If it's like the rsr once they get to hot they are as slippery as ice. I've gone off the track before because they "just let go"

But had good feel.

I forgot those nt05 had a high tread wear. I agree, that probably won't hold me aswell as federal.

I like your response about the toyo. I'm going to look into that.

Hankook Z222/R-S3

Any experiences with these on the track in a heavy-ish car (~1.5ton)?

Hankook AU lists these as 200 treadwear, Ventus TD Z221 are 80 and Ventus Z214 are 40 (looking like almost full slicks).

I'm pretty sure what I'm after is a low treadwear UHP tyre like:

• Federal 595 RS-RR – 140 UTQG
  • Kumho KU36 – 180 UTQG
  • Hankook Ventus RS-3 – 200 UTQG
  • Toyo R1R – 140 UTQG
  • Nitto NT05 – 200 UTQG
Other options are proper semis:
  • Hankook Ventus TD Z221 – 80 UTQG
  • Nitto NT01 – 100 UTQG
  • Toyo R888 – 100 UTQG

^^^ A summary of treadwear ratings based on some quick googling.

Some tyres like the Z221 come in different compounds too.

Any experiences with these on the track in a heavy-ish car (~1.5ton)?

Hankook AU lists these as 200 treadwear, Ventus TD Z221 are 80 and Ventus Z214 are 40 (looking like almost full slicks).

Goes good on my "full weight" R32 GT-R around Eastern Creek south. Bit sketchy in the wet though, which is a given (it was very wet).

On the street, warm it up and it's fkn awesome.

The other's you listed are proper semi's. Maybe medium compound Z221?

• Like 1

you don't value your life much do you? the front tyres do all the steering and braking :)

I would rather good tyres up front and rat shit at the back.

They aren't bad performance wise but the noise is horrible. The evos i had before were a much better but not available at the time.

Tried the others but Hankook Z222/R-S3 is my preference for grip

Hankook Z222/R-S3

Goes good on my "full weight" R32 GT-R around Eastern Creek south. Bit sketchy in the wet though, which is a given (it was very wet).

On the street, warm it up and it's fkn awesome.

The other's you listed are proper semi's. Maybe medium compound Z221?

Thanks guys, very positive feedback on the Z222/RS-3 everywhere I look, it sounds like a more consistent tyre than the 595RS-R on track. Also good for the street.

I'm also sussing out the Z221, it's probably not one for the street but from what I've gathered it's giving NT01's a run for their money..

Im hearing a lot of good things about the AD08R. It is making quite intrigued to give it a go. But holy jesus its about $1800 for a set in my size.

Im sick of my RSR's and am tossing up between dunlop z2's, advans or a bridgestone potenza...

anyone tried any of these on a track?

For the money I'd just go Z221 and be done with it.

If you have other wheels/tyres for street use, just go all out and get a semi slick.

Or Toyo R888 can be had pretty cheaply too, will have more grip than RSR, AD08, Z222/RS3 etc

If you have other wheels/tyres for street use, just go all out and get a semi slick.

^^^ Yep this is what I'm thinking.

Tossing between the 225 and 235 sections at 45 profile ... Is 235 too wide for a 7.5" rim?

It's still within spec according to the Hankook tables but I'm wondering if there are any adverse effects on handling on track from slight 'bulging' on the rim?

• 3 weeks later...

Or Toyo R888 can be had pretty cheaply too, will have more grip than RSR, AD08, Z222/RS3 etc

Ok so I got all excited about the Z221's but when I went to buy them turns out I had been quoted Z222 prices ($220) by mistake, grr. Oh well it did sound too good to be true.

The Z221 is a touch too pricey for my budget at around $450 per tyre in 225/45R17.

I got a quote for Toyo R888, just over $300 per tyre.

Looking into this more, apparently Toyo also manufacture Nitto, this is from another forum: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/track-autocross/160490-toyo-r888-vs-nitto-nt01.html#post2249681

Both have the same compound and construction since Nitto is manufactured by Toyo. The only difference is the thread pattern/design.

Toyo T1R = Nitto NT555

Toyo RA1 = Nitto NT555R

Toyo R888 = Nitto NT01

Like previously stated, both are the same compound but different construction/design. Many people don't like the R888 due to it's "rounder" profile, especially when coming from the flatter RA-1 or NT01. The R888 has a stiffer carcass and needs lower tire pressure to flatten the carcass to increase the contact patch moreso than the NT01.

Both tires are very similar in terms of outright performance but with differing characteristics that some may find easier to drive and thus go faster than the other tire.

^^^ Does that sound correct?

If so I'm now thinking NT01 as they can are about $250 per corner. Has anyone run both R888 and NT01, how similar are they?

I'll write up a proper review this weekend, but initial thoughts on Hankook RS-3 (Z222). My size is 245/40r17 all round (255 were out of stock).

Tyre is pretty hard - not nearly as soft as RSR etc (200 treadwear but feel harder than my 320 treadwear Michelin PS3)

However, very consistent grip. Very good grip too, as good or better than RS-R and way more dry grip than my Michelin, they handle the heat way better and stay consistent.

On a 37km Tarmac Rally stage they only started to get noisy in the last 3km, and I probably could have corrected this with less pressure.

I was running them at 37-38psi hot, sounds like a lot but it seemed to be where they were happiest.

Easily the most consistent tyre I've run, excellent stable grip. Would recommend for long drives like rally or lot of track laps on a hot day.

• Like 1

Called around a lot yesterday, here's some fresh Melbourne prices (hopefully I scribbled them down right) using the 225/45R17 size as a reference:

Semis:

• Dunlop DZ03G $640
  • Hankook Z221 (C50) $463
  • Yokohama Advan A050 $462
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE11S $450
  • Toyo Proxes R888 (GG) $325
  • Nitto NT01 $285
Hybrids:

• Dunlop Direzza ZII $290
  • Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R $276
  • Hankook R-S3 Z222 $220
I ended up going with the Toyos, will post impressions after I've run them for a bit.