SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

6 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Don't get me wrong they're decent tyres, but if budget permits AD09 would be better (marginally, according to a few on Bimmerpost).

For me, the difference between RS4 and AD09 was $60 per corner and needed to be ordered in. The RS4 was in stock, ready to be fitted. 

The AD09 are over $200 more per corner..

Yeah, the RS4 has gone up in price, but there's still nothing near it's price point that is even a competitor.

I mean the real case in point is Zestinos, which are more expensive/similar to RS4's (depending on TW) and really not nearly as good a tyre.

The failing of Hankooks is that they don't really make them in really big boy sizes, but for 99% of people it's not an issue until you want to go over 265/35.

On 01/04/2023 at 8:58 PM, Kinkstaah said:

The failing of Hankooks is that they don't really make them in really big boy sizes, but for 99% of people it's not an issue until you want to go over 265/35.

+1eleventy I wanted 285/30 and could only find AD08 :(. Waited for buy "3 get 4th free" promotion, $484 a pop :(

For the street I personally cannot go past the RS4's

I find they have enough size options for street rims

If your tyre size isn't available in AU, I have found tire rack in the US quick and great value, even when you add in shipping, "depending on the exchange rate", I've imported tyres from them a few times when I haven'tbeen able to get what I want local, both personally and using a freight forwarding service

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S4

Are RS4 a motorsport tyre, nope, from my limited experience they are average at best on the track, hell I found Toyo R888R much better in the dry than the RS4, but without the longevity, being a much softer 100 TW, hell the R888R's may be perfect for a car that only street drives for cruises and stuff on sunny Sundays, they are slightly more expensive than a RS4, but not really that much that it is painful IMO

But for spirited street driving in the dry, and to be able to handle wet conditions fairly well, if you don't push it to hard hard, I believe RS4's are great value for money for cruising around on eating up the miles, and they last really well for a 200 TW

A smart man once told me "if you want to track your daily you need to have at least 2 sets of rims, 1 set for the street with quality street tyres, and 1 set for the track with proper semi slicks/radials"

20230405_143904.thumb.jpg.cec9647d91e0eac98f79df1dfb665580.jpg20230405_171622.thumb.jpg.8d9def1a70c02429272216dc7c87fe8f.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

+1eleventy I wanted 285/30 and could only find AD08 :(. Waited for buy "3 get 4th free" promotion, $484 a pop :(

Luckily I’m only looking at a 245 (9.5” rim) and a 225 (9” rim). I am waiting for my wheels to arrive before I buy tyres, to see if I can get away with a wider tire (preferable). 

14 hours ago, R3N3 said:

Luckily I’m only looking at a 245 (9.5” rim) and a 225 (9” rim). I am waiting for my wheels to arrive before I buy tyres, to see if I can get away with a wider tire (preferable). 

Big rims for small tyres, especially the fronts, what are they going on?

What are the wheel specs?

I run a 235 on a 8.5" rim and it looks sort of stretched 

• Like 1

Yeah, 225 on a 9" is....not advisable. 235 sits straight on an 8. 225 is already slightly stretched on an 8.

Note that these are for "typical" tyres in those sizes and there are always some models of tyre that are relatively fat or skinny compared to the typical ones.

• Like 1

Yes agree with above. I will be squeezing the biggest tyre in possible, so will measure on the car once I have the rims.

I have some 3 piece work wheels arriving next week and they are a reasonably aggressive offset. I currently run a 255 on a 10” and a 235 on a 9”

technically the 245 will set more square on the 9.5” than the existing 255 on the 10”

Edited by R3N3

8 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

What's that stance crap. I put 265 on R34 GT-R (9"),

div5Dck.jpg

currently running 285 on 10" (LMGT1) heh

vCd6Qfk.jpg

I know.. trying to find the balance here…

if I want to track it then I’d get some track rims and tyres anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended up running the 235/40/18 on a 9” and a 255/35/18 on a 9.5” rim. The RS4 (or Z232 as referred to in NZ) seems to be a wide tyre. They are definitely wider than my old Falkens.
0E56A0F4-EA41-4C13-83A4-36726BD63CF1.thumb.jpeg.ee3222b1edf1c3a11327acf8cdceaaf9.jpeg

The pic above shows that they sit relatively square with a very minor stretch (in my opinion anyway).

Edited by R3N3
  • Like 5

On 4/26/2023 at 11:55 AM, R3N3 said:

So I ended up running the 235/40/18 on a 9” and a 255/35/18 on a 9.5” rim. The RS4 (or Z232 as referred to in NZ) seems to be a wide tyre. They are definitely wider than my old Falkens.
0E56A0F4-EA41-4C13-83A4-36726BD63CF1.thumb.jpeg.ee3222b1edf1c3a11327acf8cdceaaf9.jpeg

The pic above shows that they sit relatively square with a very minor stretch (in my opinion anyway).

Are they +22, +24?

• 1 month later...

A very preliminary 2c on the AD09. These went on yesterday, so I have done <<100km on them. They replaced <~3yr old RS4s, almost exactly 15000km old. And f**ked. f**ked beyond all belief. The RS4s had been left to sit still for many months straight in 2021-22 while I was stuck in WA, and for extended periods before and after that (I was away almost all of 2021 and 22). I'm convinced the Hankooks took a flat spot that did not recover, even with let's say, 1000km of driving afterwards. They were well down into the tread markers. Complaints on the old knackered RS4s;

• They were hard. Had gone off nastily either through age (only <~3 yrs though!) or through using up the softer compound and running on the hard stuff underneath or from heat cycles. Whatever the case, they were completely without grip. Would light up at the rear with no provocation, understeery and oversteery. Just terrifying in the wet.
  • They were as noisy as f**k. Between the horrible tread noise note and the whomp whomp whomp of being out of round they have added at least 2 more dB to my KU36 tinnitus.
  • They were tramlining, wandery, all sorts of lack of directional stability.

Wheel alignment was perfect. Exactly on my specs. So nothing to blame there.

The AD09s? Quiet, smooth, sticky, even with the mould release still on them on damp roads yesterday evening on the way home. It's been too many years (~5) since I had AD08Rs on there, so I'll probably not be able to say whether they approach (or surpass) the qualities that I remember. But I'm already happy with them. No fair comparison against the RS4s of course, given how shit they were at the end. But then....the AD08Rs that preceded the last 2 sets of RS4s were still great to drive on when they were bald.

$320 fitted per corner in 235/45-17. What's not to like?

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Picked up a set of 4x 215/45/17 Yoko AD09's on the BJTM "buy 3 get 4th free deal", to go on Project White Lightning. Put them on over the weekend, after a few days running in, they had the first real cornering test today. Not sure if I've had a stroke or my face has been torn off but, fk me...Cornering to the point of physical pain, and not even a hint of squeal from the tyres. VERY good tyre.

• Like 3