SAU Community

Adj Camshaft Pulley & New Cam Belt

Sydneykid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
so did the exh cam gear help response much?

Since mine develops full boost (1 bar) at 2,250 rpm I can't really comment on response in that meaning. But if you mean more power between 2500 rpm and 4500 rpm? Then, yes, the 4 degrees retard on the exhaust camshaft timing made a noticeable difference for towing, which is what I was after.

Cheers

Gary

1 bar at 2250! thats handy. Is that a gcg highflow?

Is that because it's auto? What gear?

On tuned rb25det gcg highflow:

Mine gets 14psi by about 2700rpm but that's in 5th.

Gets 14psi by about 3100rpm in 4th. 3rd gear is about 3600rpm. 2nd gear 3800rpm.

I would like to get it coming on a bit earlier in 2nd but the load isn't as high to get the turbo spinning up.

It is pretty responsive but i know that the stock turbo used to spin up to 11psi by about 3000rpm in 2nd whereas with the highflow it's about 3500rpm.

Since mine develops full boost (1 bar) at 2,250 rpm I can't really comment on response in that meaning. But if you mean more power between 2500 rpm and 4500 rpm? Then, yes, the 4 degrees retard on the exhaust camshaft timing made a noticeable difference for towing, which is what I was after.

Cheers

Gary

cant belive the response you get compared to AlexCim's old car... that thing was average until 5500rpm. Could be tune?

1 bar at 2250! thats handy. Is that a gcg highflow?

Is that because it's auto? What gear?

On tuned rb25det gcg highflow:

Mine gets 14psi by about 2700rpm but that's in 5th.

Gets 14psi by about 3100rpm in 4th. 3rd gear is about 3600rpm. 2nd gear 3800rpm.

I would like to get it coming on a bit earlier in 2nd but the load isn't as high to get the turbo spinning up.

It is pretty responsive but i know that the stock turbo used to spin up to 11psi by about 3000rpm in 2nd whereas with the highflow it's about 3500rpm.

Off the shelf GCG High flow, but remember it's an RB20DET high flow

It will develop ~1 bar against the torque converter

Tuning is important, lots of ignition advance, but remember I use V Power 100 RON.

The exhaust cam timing also helps.

Split dump is also important, mine has the Performance Metalcraft work of art that was on the race car

Don't forget the intercooler and pipework, mine has a standard R34GTT SMIC and standard pipework.

I also run 44 psi fuel pressure though the standard injectors, which might give some atomisation advantage

For what I use it for I am not interested in how much power it makes over 6,000 rpm, I need it to make lots of torque around 3,000 rpm. I haven't had it on the dyno, but I doubt that it has much over 200 4wkw, which it probably makes at no more than 5,000 rpm.

Cheers

Gary

ok, its been ages since i ventured into stagea land..

but I have done the adjustable cam gear! It sat on the list to do for ages, and then the parts sat on the tool box for awhile.. and all went very easy. (I was scared! nothing goes easy!)

anyhow..

I have a GT3040 on my R33 S1, with most of the normal mods.

I ran 4 degrees retard on the ex cam straight up. Car pulls moderatly harder now at the same point where before it was still coming onto boost. Boost comes on a about 250~300ish revs earlier and is a lot stronger in the mid range. Top end.. well, cant tell, it wheel spins 2nd (like always) and 3rd is too fast to be a responseable driver. wink wink.. This is not an accurate testomony to the cam gear, cos i also changed the wastegate pipe a little and played with the ECU afterwards. The outcome was from all 3. but before the last 2 mods, the car was stronger.

hope that helps others who are not sure about the mod. Worked a treat for me! Will be doning 3intheback's stagea soon as it needs a new belt.

Thanks for the work you put into this thread SK.

• 2 months later...
ok, its been ages since i ventured into stagea land..

but I have done the adjustable cam gear! It sat on the list to do for ages, and then the parts sat on the tool box for awhile.. and all went very easy. (I was scared! nothing goes easy!)

anyhow..

I have a GT3040 on my R33 S1, with most of the normal mods.

I ran 4 degrees retard on the ex cam straight up. Car pulls moderatly harder now at the same point where before it was still coming onto boost. Boost comes on a about 250~300ish revs earlier and is a lot stronger in the mid range. Top end.. well, cant tell, it wheel spins 2nd (like always) and 3rd is too fast to be a responseable driver. wink wink.. This is not an accurate testomony to the cam gear, cos i also changed the wastegate pipe a little and played with the ECU afterwards. The outcome was from all 3. but before the last 2 mods, the car was stronger.

hope that helps others who are not sure about the mod. Worked a treat for me! Will be doning 3intheback's stagea soon as it needs a new belt.

Thanks for the work you put into this thread SK.

HKS Cam gear quoted at $365. Does anyone have experience of Chinese aluminium version at less than half the price? It seems to me that it is not a highly stressed component although a failure could be catastrophic.

• 7 months later...

skidkid,

I used a variety of rope and a bike tube to provide friction so that the entire system tightened on itself.

Search my thread about timining belts and theirs a link to a timing belt change to think it was an rb30 and it has the rope setup.

EDIT!:

here you go:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ti...mp;hl=bike+tube

Edited by kidafa

Off the shelf GCG High flow, but remember it's an RB20DET high flow

It will develop ~1 bar against the torque converter

Tuning is important, lots of ignition advance, but remember I use V Power 100 RON.

The exhaust cam timing also helps.

Split dump is also important, mine has the Performance Metalcraft work of art that was on the race car

Don't forget the intercooler and pipework, mine has a standard R34GTT SMIC and standard pipework.

I also run 44 psi fuel pressure though the standard injectors, which might give some atomisation advantage

For what I use it for I am not interested in how much power it makes over 6,000 rpm, I need it to make lots of torque around 3,000 rpm. I haven't had it on the dyno, but I doubt that it has much over 200 4wkw, which it probably makes at no more than 5,000 rpm.

Cheers

Gary

I HAVE A FRIEND IN BLACKTOWN N.S.W WHO MAKES LIGHT WEIGHT ALLOY HARMONIC BALANCERS FOR RB ENGINES , SHMICK !!!! ROSS BALANERS, OFF SUNNYHOLT ROAD

tp_lft.jpg| Automotive | Transport | btn_hb1a.jpgtp_rgt.jpgnav_lft.jpgHome | Stockists | Full Range of Products | Catalogues | Warranty | About Us | Contact Usnav_rgt.jpgedg_lft.jpgspcr_nv.jpgedg_rgt.jpgspcr_nv.jpgspcr_col.gifROSS TUFFBOND HARMONIC BALANCERS

METAL JACKET

icon_acro.jpgDownload Metal Jacket CatalogueA WORLD FIRST IN BALANCER DESIGN!!

ENCASED DAMPENER WITHIN BALANCERS

Introducing a revolutionary development in torsional dampening technology. UtiliSing the ORIGINAL Ross TufFBond elastrometRic bonding process to produce the Ross MetaLJacket® Series HARMONIC Balancers.

• 360 timing marks at 1° intervals
  • Adjustable timing disc, for TDC accuracy
  • Precision CNC machined 40 Tonne tensile alloy steel hub and vibration dampening ring
  • Dampening ring and hub permanently bonded together on TWO axis by our exclusive Tuffbond elastrometric bonding process, ensuring maximum harmful vibrations are absorbed.
  • balancer is anodized for durability and appearance
  • Absorbs more damaging torsional harmonic vibrations
  • Quicker engine acceleration
  • Increases engine life
  • Lifetime warranty, even for racing use - a world first!
  • Never requires maintenance or rebuilding - ever!
  • Rated to 1500 HP
  • Encapsulated MetaL Jacket® design exceeds AN DRA and SF1 i8.1(USA) requirements
  • Fits standard or modified engines
  • Affordably priced

AVAILABLE TO SUIT :

• Ford BA 6 cyl
  • Holden Chev LS-1
  • Chev Big Block
  • Nissan RB2O
  • Nissan RB25
  • Nissan RB26
  • Nissan RB3O
  • Nissan SR2O
  • Nissan VG30
  • Toyota IJZ
  • Toyota 2JZ

Trade discounts apply and wholesale enquiries are welcome. We ship Australia wide.

pics_hm_mj3.jpgpic_mj_exp.jpg

spcr_col.gifflash_mj_jun08.jpg

• 6 months later...

Has anyone here done the old jack the front of the car up, attach breaker bar to harmonic balancer, put the breaker bar against the floor then use the weight of the car letting it down off the jack to crack the nut (with car in gear, rear wheels on the ground)

Ive heard of this technique being used before, but never actually done it, sounds like it should work, probably do the timing belt this weekend!

either that or just put the breaker bar up against the drivers side chassis rail, unplug the CAS and give the engine a quick crank :P but you shouldn't really struggle with it, in a manual just put it in gear with the handbrake on, auto just put it in park and you should be right with just the breaker bar, maybe a bit of pipe slid over the breaker bar to lengthen the bar if needed.

Edited by QWK32

• 1 month later...

thankyou for posting this! I know its a old thread but its be so helpful.

This was on my r33 s1- you could perhaps post a link to this on the forced induction pages :D

today I did a new belt ,gates racing - $115 at repco

new pump vl commodore $80 at supercheap

new adj cam gear $60 off these forums- just jap type.

balancer puller $35 supercheap

timing light $80 supercheap(my old one had died -it only cost $20 damn it).

Set at 4 degree retard for the exhaust cam.

I dont know if its the adj cam or because the old belt was stretched but it has a bit more poke now.

for example it now crabs sideways a bit in 1st that it didnt do before the cambelt /adj cam gear .

very good, thanks for the "how to".

Q - to get 15 degrees advance my crank angle sensor is on its max rotation but before it was is the middle..

Is this because the exhaust cam that runs the crank angle sensor, is now rotated? Should I be running 11 degrees now because of this?(15 standard)

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I can't believe a search of this thread for "NEO" turns up 0 results! Just trying to find out, if having an adjustable exhaust cam gear on a NEO engine is an advantage? Or even if it would work at all? Because I will be changing heads soon (:S) so the opportunity is there to fit a cam gear (and maybe an upgraded timing belt too though mine is OEM and < 20,000K's old).