SAU Community

OK my turn

I've owned and competed in a 33,34 and my current 02 WRX which I've had from new.

All are great cars and should be appreciated.

When I see someone type "WRX's are sh$t" "R33's are whales" etc etc it reminds me of the Trev mentality we all know and love(but not limited to commodore drivers from what I've read here).

So get over it guys we are all enthusiasts here.

For the record my cars did the following 400m times at the same venue.

R33 Manual (PFC,Intercooler,Boosted slightly,Exhaust) 13.6 sec

R34 Auto (Emanage,Intercooler,Hyflow turbo,Exhaust with312RWHP) 13.6sec

WRX Manual (Exhaust and barely run in otherwise stock) 14sec flat

Now after 3 years and a chip upgrade I'd say it would go close to 13.6 too

Add water of course and the WRX would probably crack 14.5 with the Skyline struggling to crack 20's on fat tyres.

In more open events the WRX would be quicker but when it comes to motorkanas unless you fitted the WRX with slicks the Skyline in the right hands would cream the WRX and be heap more fun to boot.

These are not my opinions but my experience.

If I could afford to have a Skyline and a WRX I'd do so.

After 80,000 enjoyable kms in my REX its a toss up between replacing it with another one or a CPV35 with some form of forced induction.

So to summarise get the 33 .

If your mate beats you trick up the 33 and get him back (but keep an eye on the weather forecast).

But most of all enjoy the 33 a truly great car

Cheers

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liberty is a luxo rex is a racer thats the diff , i know you are going to bring the power to weight thing in but before you do the liberty weighs about the same a the sti with almost the same power and the sti is a good 2 seconds quicker .

No shit. I know the Liberty is relatively light, and a fair amount lighter than its predecessor. Unlike some people I actually do a little research before talking about stuff. I wasn't going to bring power / weight in since I know they're comparable, which I guess casts light on a lot of the things you think you "know". :)

I wasn't comparing the car, I was comparing the engine. The Liberty will have very different gearing to suit its GT design, and that's going to blunt acceleration. It also only has 5 gears, so even if the top speeds were the same (if I remember correctly the Liberty has a higher V-Max) it'd still be slower through the gears.

I wasn't referring to any of these things, though. I was referring to the way the engine feels as you throttle it through the rev range. How much more torque it makes in the low to mid range (even with its less accelerative gearing) and how smoothly the power swells from the low end, rather than having to wait for something to happen like with the WRX's motor.

If they were to drop a Liberty GT's EJ20T into a WRX and keep pretty much everything else the same, chances are I'd be driving a Subaru now.

How many rexes have you beaten with your Excel or Civic  ?

Try cruising around town in 4th gear at 60km/hr next to an Excel doing the same thing. You should be off-boost at that speed and engine load, and I'm guessing that a lot of people would be commuting in Sydney with this gear / speed combo.

Leave both cars in gear, and mash the throttle. Don't pop the cars into 2nd, since if you read my post clearly (which I'm kind of suspecting you didn't, so let me bold all the salient points for you) I'm talking about in-gear acceleration in the middle gears, or standard "around town" kind of driving.

I'd hazard to say, from my experiences driving the WRX, that the Excel will get away from the WRX until it can climb up until the 3500RPM (at which point you've probably run out of distance in metropolitan Sydney). In the same situation, it will not get away from a turbo Silvia.

I know that most people would drop it into 2nd rather than being lazy about it, but I was using it to illustrate my point about the WRX's power delivery. And I leave my car in 4th or 5th and overtake people all the time, but that's only because I can.

In more open events the WRX would be quicker but when it comes to motorkanas unless you fitted the WRX with slicks the Skyline in the right hands would cream the WRX and be heap more fun to boot.

These are not my opinions but my experience.

Speaking of which, the NSCC vs WRX motorkhana is on this Sunday at Eastern Creek. It will be on the skidpan with the sprinklers turned on, so don't expect the Skylines to prove you right there. :)

You wouldn't want slicks on a khana anyway (we'll talk dry). They take too long to heat up, and since most motorkhana courses only last half a minute they'd only be up to temperature by the time you were braking for the garage.

Depends what youre after. Like what has been said. The rexy felt no quicker than a corolla below 3500rpm. Launch it hard it will beat a gtst. but if both cars ease out the clutch - then hammer it Id have money on a gtst.

GTST will be quicker if your not trying to tear apart your car. That's in a straight line. Around corners rexy and wet - rxy

Try cruising around town in 4th gear at 60km/hr next to an Excel doing the same thing. You should be off-boost at that speed and engine load, and I'm guessing that a lot of people would be commuting in Sydney with this gear / speed combo.

Leave both cars in gear, and mash the throttle. Don't pop the cars into 2nd, since if you read my post clearly (which I'm kind of suspecting you didn't, so let me bold all the salient points for you) I'm talking about in-gear acceleration in the middle gears, or standard "around town" kind of driving.

I'd hazard to say, from my experiences driving the WRX, that the Excel will get away from the WRX until it can climb up until the 3500RPM (at which point you've probably run out of distance in metropolitan Sydney). In the same situation, it will not get away from a turbo Silvia.

I know that most people would drop it into 2nd rather than being lazy about it, but I was using it to illustrate my point about the WRX's power delivery. And I leave my car in 4th or 5th and overtake people all the time, but that's only because I can.

My old stock MY99 WRX made full boost (0.95 bar) by 2500RPM.

My old modified (including bigger turbine) v6 STI made full boost (1.2 bar) by 3000RPM

Neither of them were exactly laggy

My GTR makes full boost at 5000RPM.

The bottom line is any model WRX will be faster than any model GTSt. No ifs, buts or maybes. Dry, wet, straight line, corners, up hill, down hill...whatever you want.

I'd like to see the 0-100 times if they weren't revd to 6k and slungshot off the line.

Bottom line - they feel very flat at low revs but are definately good cars if you get into it a bit. They don't have the torque of a skyline though.

I'd like to see the 0-100 times if they weren't revd to 6k and slungshot off the line.  

Bottom line - they feel very flat at low revs but are definately good cars if you get into it a bit.  They don't have the torque of a skyline though.

they're also missing 2 cylinders and half a litre of capacity.

They're apples and oranges really, better to compare the rex to a S13.

Whoever said rexes have short gears is on the take! They're pretty bloody high geared actually. The reason it won't pull from 60KPh in 4th is because it'll be around 1500RPM.

My mates WRX turns 2400RPM at 100 in 5th as opposed to my R32 which is almost at 3K at the same speed. I also know for a fact the RB20DET will not out accellerate a WRX at 60 in 4th as I've tried it.

If ever a car needs revs its the RB20..... :D

LOL its gtst vs rex, gtr vs sti..... ok the rex will whoop you, i know from experience :$

but think about how much hes paying for his rex and how much you pick up your 33 for... and now think about how much he beats you by, not much eh? few bolt on goodies and youll see the rex in the rear view..

Good to see a few more posts with a decent line of thinking. I own a GTS-T but I have no problems in saying a WRX will be a better performer in standard trim (straight line, corners, etc), but thats not why I bought a GTS-T.. I like RWD, big cars, lots of torque and great reliablity (jesus, I sound like a bogan!).

No shit. I know the Liberty is relatively light, and a fair amount lighter than its predecessor. Unlike some people I actually do a little research before talking about stuff. I wasn't going to bring power / weight in since I know they're comparable, which I guess casts light on a lot of the things you think you "know". :D

I wasn't comparing the car, I was comparing the engine. The Liberty will have very different gearing to suit its GT design, and that's going to blunt acceleration. It also only has 5 gears, so even if the top speeds were the same (if I remember correctly the Liberty has a higher V-Max) it'd still be slower through the gears.

I wasn't referring to any of these things, though. I was referring to the way the engine feels as you throttle it through the rev range. How much more torque it makes in the low to mid range (even with its less accelerative gearing) and how smoothly the power swells from the low end, rather than having to wait for something to happen like with the WRX's motor.

If they were to drop a Liberty GT's EJ20T into a WRX and keep pretty much everything else the same, chances are I'd be driving a Subaru now.

How many gears do you think the rex has ?

5 , just like the liberty and the gtst .

If you realy want to know my sti at 60 k in 4th gear will be doing 2900 rpm and if you line up your excel i will leve you for dead you are only going to see my rear end . My sti in 4th gear will be doing about 72 k's only thats how close the sti 6 speed is .

I dont like labouring my engine , full throttle at 2000 rpm , i like to use my gears so yea if i want to overtake 3rd year in the sti , 2nd gear in the gtr .

Now if you think a stock sylvia is quicker than a stock rex you live in a dreamland .

If you think you need 3500 rpm in rex to take off you are totaly wrong they have full boost at 2500 , they only have a small turbo ( tdo4 ) the sti on the other hand needs a bit more as it has a bigger turbo ( vf35 ) but it also has a very close ratio g/box .

if you had $10,000 would you trade in your r32 stock turbo,fuel,spark making 221rwhp for a 00wrx or spend the dough on making the r32 go like a rocket

If you are asking me , first i'm not in that situation and if i had a stock 32 ( none gtr ) + $10k i would sell the 32 and buy a real 32, a 32 GTR .

A 32 gtr would be as quick as a 32 with mods in stock form and much quicker if you want to mod .

I see your point about waiting for something to happen the Rex does feel a bit laggy and could be caught napping but I've never been troubled by any korean car nor would I waste my time trying to prove a point to them despite them trying to bait me.

Obviously the 33 is lower geared and torquier which is something I miss.

But hey it's not all bad if the REX gets me 10l/100km something the Skyline couldn't do.

You wouldn't want slicks on a khana anyway (we'll talk dry). They take too long to heat up, and since most motorkhana courses only last half a minute they'd only be up to temperature by the time you were braking for the garage.

Might have misled when I typed slicks as I meant the treaded sticky street tyres.

Over here the winter Motorsport series was won buy a team of WRX's shod with these tyres. They were lifting rear wheels they had so much grip.

On std tyres my WRX was not the best in tight situations.

But then I'm more competant driving RWD than 4WD and trying to drive it like a Skyline :P

i would sell the 32 and buy a real 32, a 32 GTR .

there is no REAL R32. They're two different cars for two different purposes.

One is a factory supercar, the other a turbo grand tourer.

Same as saying, don't get a rex, get a REAL Wrx a STI.

Get an S15 $26k + FMIC $1k + Turbotech boost control $40 + Quality zorst $1.5 + Quality tyres $1.2k = <$30K but > WRX, GTSt with same mods!

Not hard to get S15 into 12's and if things go wrong cheaper to fix lots of aftermarket goodies for SR20DET.