SAU Community

How reliable is your Skyline?

Just a question regarding reliability as I am an ex-Commodore owner and they are probably the most unreliable cars I have ever owned. I moved up to a Skyline after owning several HSV's and V8 Commodores because I loved the style, power and quality of the R33's. So far my Skyline has been very reliable with none of the rattles or squeeks that I had in my Commodores and only basic things needing to be replaced as you would expect from a 10 year old car (fuses, globes, brake pads, clutch etc). How has your Skyline served you so far?

absolutely awesome!

i've had the car for about 2.5 years now and besides performance modifications and general servicing, the only problem i have had was a timing belt one tooth out (not really a problem, more an incorrect service really)

:)

had the car for a month then the coilpacks started to die, its a given though since r34s are known for their coilpack failures. other than that the skyline is alot better than my old commodores, however the supra seemed to have a slightly better motor, ran silky smooth, the nissan motors are a little noiser.

Coils do die but once replaced you can forget them.

They are very reliable unmodified but you can show up slightly weaker area with modification. The same is true for any car.

They don't get the dodgy squeaks and rattles, bad door closing/openings and stuff so much though so that is good.

Turbo died while having new exhaust fitted. Solution, upgrade to 460hp turbo with ecu and fuel support.

Clutch died with new turbo. Not built to handle 400hp. Got a heavy duty one put on.

Since in both cases I was able to upgrade, theoretically no money was wasted.

Everything else is great. I love my Skyline :)

I've only had skylines over the last 5 years.. 2x R31, 1xHR31 (only for a few months), R33 GTS-T, and R32 GTS-T

Biggest problem was a crank angle sensor on my first R31.. and fuel pump on my current R32 (fuel pump was installed by me though and was aftermarket)..

Other than that, absolutely nothing. Pretty amazing, and why I've always bought Skylines :)

Only problem i've had was the stock fuel pump being basically dead, and the car running lean (not dangerously, but defintely on the way to getting there). Replaced that and so far it runs fine. I actually went a skyline over other imports/turbo cars in hope to get great reliablity, as I always drive my cars reasonably hard.

yeh im currently a ford bogan. yeh laught at me. i know i was an idiot for buyin the dumb thing in the first place. i was wondering how the skyline would be reliability wise with all the high revving n lots of boost etc. but you guys seem to rate them alright. cant wait to get mine. how do they handle flat changes? or dont they?

yeh im currently a ford bogan. i was wondering how the skyline would be reliability wise with all the high revving n lots of boost etc. QUOTE]

I dont own a skyline either mate but in regards to the (high reving) fest i asked my old man something similar and its not like the typical ford or holden engine... These are a performance engine so take alot more then f and h.

Even with my vl being the RB30 after a while of me really giving her a beating it drastically started to lose power but that wasent so much the engine it was really most things dying around it.

Mine's been perfect for a yeah in mostly stock form (changed turbo back zorst and cold air box). Had an issue with the fuel gauge reading empty way to early but it fixed itself and hasnt occurred since.

• 1 year later...
Mine's been perfect for a yeah in mostly stock form (changed turbo back zorst and cold air box). Had an issue with the fuel gauge reading empty way to early but it fixed itself and hasnt occurred since.

Man I have had my car for six years when they were'nt soo popular and have never had any problems no oil leaks the car is damn strong. :happy:

1 motor 1 clutch and a couple of engine mount in my car but dare say motor was my own fault after putting the boost on 10 and not being tuned but all in all car cost me 16 owes me 21 after the motor and stuff and looks no better than day one haha but i still love it for the price what goes,handles and stops like 1 not much other than that its been great and pretty reliable other than my little mishap caused by myself

mine's been very reliable *knock on wood* and besides the normal services, its needed nothing.

one thing i noticed is the rb's are balanced pretty damn well. probably why they can take high revs/hard driving without issues. u can sit a glass of water on the motor while its idling and it hardly moves. try that on a commodore.

if ur going to push it hard...just make sure you look after your oil (restrictors, increased sump capacity and baffles) and you should be right to go... that's all i am aware of being a consistent issue if you are going to push it really hard (by the sounds of it you plan on thrashing it...excuse me if i am wrong)

...meh