SAU Community

Stagea Turbo Upgrade

Tangles

Im using aluminium, buying a boxload off ebay from usa.... hhm, didnt even consider the rolling of the lip. Where can you get that sort of thing done?

Cheers, BW

I get my lipping done at GCG, takes about 10 seconds per lip. Mick's Metalcraft has one, as does Performance Metalcraft, so I guess all of the pipework fabricators would have one. So much easier than welding on a wire loop.

:P cheers :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks very much.

I'll work out what pipes are needed, cut down to length, and then head off to a 'metalcraft' store here in Adelaide to get some lips done.

Cheers to you for all your informative posts!

Brendan

I am just getting my piping done at my local tuning shop. I prefer getting all my work done at the same place and they can only do steel (dont have an alloy welder)

I dont care about the extra what, 5-10kg. I have come to realisation that a fat bitch will stay fat, no point to try an shed some pounds.

I am getting my pipes made like Ska's

http://stagea.st.funpic.org/082105/stagea12.JPG

http://stagea.st.funpic.org/082105/stagea22.JPG

http://stagea.st.funpic.org/082105/stagea23.JPG

http://stagea.st.funpic.org/082105/stagea26.JPG

Ill post some photos when the car arrives back.

At the same time, ill start a new thread and post photos of my cooler setup without the front bar on. Also, ill post those above of Ska's as Ska's setup. Would be good for a IC thread as terminal and burns both have kits, but me and Ska have custom stuff, so people will be able to easily see the difference.

Sorry about the links, the wont work if you click on them above, but if you copy and paste them into a new windows they will, stupid free hosting.

• 2 weeks later...

Updating. Will repost in a few months time in the dynographs section.

Now the Apexi intercooler is on, I'll be going back to Graham West Workshops in around 2 weeks time for the installation of the following:

Bosch 040 fuel pump, sitting low in the tankm with direct feed to battery wiring @ 13.8v

high pressure fuel lines, as per SK's suggestions

Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Apexi Super Ignition Timing Converter

Nissan Z32 air flow meter

plus a retune of the Apexi SAFC at 10psi, with dual stage boost set up to 12psi for those 'quick sprints'

Saving up for the hiflow of my spare SII R33 turbo in 12months time - it was meant to be a R34 Neo unit, but it isnt... =(

Anyways, Im expecting mid 150's at the 4wheels at 10psi, and hopefully goes up a bit at 12psi.

Brendan

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya all,

well the Stagea is now in the shop, the SITC is being installed as we speak as well.

query though: has anyone thought to use the 'emanage' piggyback rather than the SAFC / SITC / EBC combo? The tuners were surprised that I didnt go the E-manage route; admittedly I told them I knew nothing about the emanage until after I had the SAFC installed.

anyone thought of using the Emanage in their Stagea? if so, what sort of results have you got?

E-Manage has problems with the RB ignition systems. Quite a few R33GTST's and R34GTT's have blown ignitors/coils trying to tune via E-Manage. The E-Manage logic also has problems with the autotrans retard on gearchange. Plus they cost twice as much as they should for what they do. With the SAFC and the SITC you have the best system of piggy backs around.

:) cheers :D

Don't forget about the Unichip as an option for a piggyback computer. They also have EBC modules for them too :)

Worked fine on my old Stagea. Still had a slight dip in power (R&R) but I'm sure a tuner with experience with R33/R34's would be able to get a good tune out of it.

I pulled a tad under 170rwkw at 12psi with the Unichip with basic mods.

If you keep your eye out for one you can get them for about $350-400, and remember that they do both fuel and igntion maps and work fine with the auto's.

J

Thanks mate - I knew there was a 'reason' for you doing the SITC / DFA combo. Cool. Now at least I know more about the piggybacks and Rb engines than my tuner does! :)

Thank you very much for the information, not that I was going to change my route as such, just wanted to find out what the go was with e-Manage seeing my tuner brought it up.......

Will post up how it all goes.

Brendan

Cheers Jay....

Well its all happening now as we chat, so Im past the point of no return. Im sure the 2 Apexi units will work well together, and expect 155+ at 10psi and 165+ at 12psi.

Cheers for the note on the Unichip.

Hiyas all,

If you're intrested Ive had the car dynoed now, picking it up later this arvo, will post a dyno graph in the Stagea Dyno section later.

High pressure fuel lines were seen to be unneccesary, as the standard lines were in excellent condition and it may have been going backwards to replace the perfect condition jap items with Aussie spec stuff.

Bosch 040 fuel pump is done, SITC is installed, Nismo fuel pressure regulator is doing what its supposed to do and the injector duty cycle has come down a fair bit, & the Z32 afm is working and being read by the SAFC.

Apparently the tune is ok, for the budget parts Ive installed, a little up and down though. Have been reccommended that when I hiflow the turbo that I take off the FPR and use larger injectors, and take off the SITC, SAFC and EBC and replace it with an Autronic full computer.

Seems like a good idea, need 5k first! So I'll save for a year and a half and see what I can do there, but wont be worrying about all that for a fair while now. I'll be happy as it is for a fair while Im sure.

The Stagea is putting out 150kw....... up 7%.

Edited by bwilkeson

150 is pretty good.

Do you have a full exhaust? The std dump/front/cat's are pretty restrictive i would say and you should see a nice power increase.

I predict I am around 140awkw (or is that optimistic) with just full split/high flow cat/catback and fmic and 10psi?

140 is about right, thats what mine was on with those sort of mods. Maybe more due to the GTR cooler and the split dump pipe.

Ive got the full 3inch system with single dump pipe, best to see the South Australian section, titled "My Beasts", for details on the stagea and the fireblade.

• 3 months later...
The turbines that i would consider are

HKS 2835

Trust T518Z (or 517z)

HKS GTRS

Garret GT35R

Would a rebuilt garrett GT35 be too laggy for a RB25det engined automatic Stagea?

Would a rebuilt garrett GT35 be too laggy for a RB25det engined automatic Stagea?

Also, I gather a RB20 turbo thats been hiflowed bny GCG would bolt on to a RB25 all ok?

• 2 months later...

had a look thru this thread and just need to know a few things guys. i have a series 2 (neo engine) would a turbo from a vl crumpledore be suitable as it will bolt straight on? as they are relatively thick on the ground, would it be a suitable swap as they are a bit higher flow rate as stock aren't they? or would it be better to get a completely different unit. if so any reccomendations within reason cost wise.

i dont want to go silly on the horsepower side of things but i want it to be a bit more responsive etc. without having to modify the engine internals at all.

i have a turbosmart e-boost2 fitted and am geting the exhaust done shortly, want to get a fmic as well in readiness for if i need to upgrade the huffer, but not sure which path to take?