SAU Community

Can I Mount My 4 Point Harness Like This?

abcent

Hi all,

I'm only just starting to get the bits n pieces required to start doing the track days with SAU-vic and was after a little advise in regards to the anchor points of the 4 point harness..

I have a R33 gts-t

the 4 point harness is an Italian made "motor quality" item

my questions:

1: for the inside (centre conside) anchor point, is it better to put it straight into the point where the factory seat buckle is mounted (which is part of the seat frame)? or maybe re tap the thread to suit the eyelet where the rear seat mount is bolted into the tunnel (frame of the car)?

2: where can I mount the shoulder straps in the rear without too much modification/fabrication? I've seen people mount them at the lower seatbelt points of the rear seat, but I'd prefer to keep a better angle and mount them on the parcel shelf. Can I anchor both shoulder belts off one eyelet (like the attatched pic, best i could do with paint) anchored in the baby restraint hole (will have to re-tap to suit larger eyelet bolt)? that would be the easiest solution for me....

all advise in regards to this welcome, as i realise there's probably around 1001 ways to do this. I also know its best to get a bar fabricatied through a race shop...but dont wish to spend $700 for 2 mount points....if i was going to spend that much i'd be looking at a bolt in cage then mount them off that...

3: I have an approved fire extinguisher with a stainless high impact mounting bracket...wheres it best to mount this? is there any regulations in regards to where it has to be through cams? I was thinking to avoid drilling holes in my car, i'd mount it at the base of the passanger seat, mounting a bar between both front seat rail mount and bolting it to that?

that'll do for now....so many questions hehe.....

i'd love to see ay pics of peoples 33 set ups to get a better idea if anyone has any?

thanks heaps for any help!!

Berin

post-7879-1146380976.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for the left waist strap you can buy a little pice (it's an L shape with a hole on each flat bit) that goes under the nut that holds your seat to the trans tunnel (well it does in a 32). you can mount that strap there. the right side one you can use the eye bolt to replace the bolt that holds the seat belt rail thingy to the side of the car. with the shoulder straps you just need to be careful that they are not mounted higher than your shoulders so depending on the seat the parcel shelf may be too high. you also dont want them too low (or rather too much angle). consult the manual with the harness for better details, and try and get a look at how other people do it.

CAMS regs state the driver must be able to reach the extinguisher from the drivers seat. in front of the passenger seat is fine. i mount mine that way.

pics of my bracket:

dsc003496bp.jpg

dsc003476eq.jpg

• 3 months later...

you need a little "L' shaped bracket with 2 holes in it (one on each straight bit). One hole goes around the stud in the trans tunnel that the left rear seat mount bolts too, the other hole you clip the harness onto. :rofl:

which seat did you get...

ps, it better be the hard corey bride with the head restraints we discussed!

edit, damn I just realised I posted this bit above! lol. read up top justin. :P

which seat did you get...

ps, it better be the hard corey bride with the head restraints we discussed!

edit, damn I just realised I posted this bit above! lol. read up top justin. :(

LOL Richard, man thanks for typing it out twice for me ahahahaha. That L shaped bracket, you did say "buy it" from somewhere. Where? Maybe Revolution Racegear? Um, who else would have one? I suppose I can get the boys at Westside Mufflers to make it up for me.

And I whimped out of the hardcore Bride with head restraints lol and settled for an FIA approved Bride Zeta3 with black logograph. :P Super tight at the bottom, not so tight at the top but AOK.

yeah, you could even make it yourself. you just need to buy/find a piece of angle. then cut a pice about 40mm long. drill the holes and your done. Your welcome to borrow mine to copy if you need to.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks boys. I love it, everything is pretty much the way I want it in the interior now. would you believe I got pulled over about 30 mins after installing it, and copped no grief what so ever. just goes to show that a good attitude often earns you one in return.

lol, you should see me trying to climb out of the thing! haha Good thing I had the quick release hub or I'd never be able to get out. it certainly does feel hard corey now with the seat, cage, harness, gauges etc.

lol, you should see me trying to climb out of the thing! haha Good thing I had the quick release hub or I'd never be able to get out. it certainly does fell hard corey now with the seat, cage, harness, gauges etc.

how much for the quick release system? i think ill need one once i have the cage.

2: where can I mount the shoulder straps in the rear without too much modification/fabrication? I've seen people mount them at the lower seatbelt points of the rear seat, but I'd prefer to keep a better angle and mount them on the parcel shelf. Can I anchor both shoulder belts off one eyelet (like the attatched pic, best i could do with paint) anchored in the baby restraint hole (will have to re-tap to suit larger eyelet bolt)? that would be the easiest solution for me....

The child restraint points are designed to cope with a 35Kg load on them, and can be pulled out if used to restrain a normal weight person in an accident. I have managed to bend the parcel shelf on one car just tightening up the top strap for child seat.

yes, good point. I use the factory mouting points for the two rear straps. they are within the angle specified in the willans manual and factory mounting points are of course designed to support LOTS of weight.

right now I just have the harness shoulder straps into the lower rear seat belt anchor points, not ideal I know, but looks too difficult to mount in the parcel shelf securely. If I was to use the baby restraint hole, I was going to drill it out bigger for the eyelet an put a 5mm thick large square shape metal plate under the shelf to put the eyelet through. But uppon looking under the shelf,......well...not that simple, so that was abandoned.

With the left lap belt anchor, I drilled a hole in the tunnel of the car directly opposite where the right belt anchors from. Put the eyelet through there, an inside the tunnel I put the eyelet through a washer (about 5mm thick an 70-80mm diameter) from the top of a strut assembly from a Ford EF Falcon. Spring washer & nylock nut an presto, strong easy inside anchor point. (after drilling hole I smeared some anit-rust grease round the hole, an once in sealed around the washer with silastic)

• 3 weeks later...

haha, glad you like it mate. I knew you would appreciate the hard corey aspect of it.

i must confess it is a little too extreme for street use (even for me). lol you look like a bit of a clown trying to get out at the westfield car park...