SAU Community

Whos Buying A Ps3

HR32_GTS-T

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep i only need one reason to get one of these things...Grand Turismo

i have never liked xbox they have unco controllers and almost 99% of their games are really bad. playstation games are alot more fun from my experiances.

There will be no standard ps2 memory card slot on the ps3, so guess what.. while the games may be compatible, you'd be starting again.

Unless they (or others) of course released an external ps2 card reader, quite probable - but more cost.

I've never understood this backward compatibility quest anyhow, about 90% of owners will own an old ps2 (which would be worth nothing to sell to get any money back), so I can't see any real advantage of using the ps3 to play your old games. It might upsample the graphics as best it can to hdtv, but the effect can't be too great.

Maybe its a marketing ploy to keep the price & sales of there older system games higher?

so ummm... when are you coming back to australia? which plane? what time? what do your bags look like?

i spoke to someone from EB today regarding Wii, and got on the subject of ps3 and he said its being released in japan and US on the 27th... i spoke to him today... stupid EB are so full of shit. i dont know any game store that i can get reliable genuine information out of. they also said the problem that stopped the PS3 from being released in AUS was that the blu-ray was unable to read PAL games, so they had to push our release date back... im not too sure if thats true or not, but EB are just un-reliable now, i can only get good info from the interweb, every other place is full of shit

Skylvia: Yeah, that is bullshit. the Japan release was 11/11/06 and the US was 12/11/06 I believe.

According to reliable info the reason the Aus release was pushed back was because of short supply (maybe a problem) with the diodes that read the blu-ray discs. I highly doubt it's a problem unique to PAL games though. and regardless, games are region free so it wouldn't matter that much. It's just that Aus is a small market, so when production is reduced, we are the one of the first to get pushed back.

The demand in Japan is nuts. As of yesterday no-one had any new stock yet. and all the 1st release sold out within 2 hours of being released. Lots of stores accross japan held on to some or bought them from people who pre-ordered at another store and are now selling with a markup of up to 40,000yen which is around $450!

I've finally had a chance to have a good play of mine and it's awesome. Got 2 games atm. Ridge Racer 7 and Resistance:Fall of Man (FPS). Both are very good. It's a great system though.

wireless controllers

wi-fi net

card readers

60gb HB (upgradeable)

blu-ray

3.2GHZ processor

etc etc

All my mates rushed out and got Xbox 360s, i looked at the graphics on the games on a HD TV and honestly I think its a bit crud... My $340 Nvidia 6800GS 512MB graphics card in my pc makes the Xbox 360's graphics look like utter crap. ( oblivion on a PC looks FAR... better!!)

I will be getting a PS3 no matter what the cost beause honestly... I think its a leap in graphics technology unlike the 360.. The 360 is not a giant leap in graphics at all its a MCE2005 extender thats about it.

lol 6800gs whooping 360 is just a plain lie. go check out gears of war or call of duty 3.. or pretty much any of the games coming out now and they are simply stunning. gotta remember the first 360 games were made using pc's as the hardware was not ready yet so they all were pretty average.

There is simply no way ur 6800gs looks better then a 360 i have a dual core pc, 512mb 7900gtx, 2 gig ram and a 360 is still better.

Skylvia: Yeah, that is bullshit. the Japan release was 11/11/06 and the US was 12/11/06 I believe.

According to reliable info the reason the Aus release was pushed back was because of short supply (maybe a problem) with the diodes that read the blu-ray discs. I highly doubt it's a problem unique to PAL games though. and regardless, games are region free so it wouldn't matter that much. It's just that Aus is a small market, so when production is reduced, we are the one of the first to get pushed back.

The demand in Japan is nuts. As of yesterday no-one had any new stock yet. and all the 1st release sold out within 2 hours of being released. Lots of stores accross japan held on to some or bought them from people who pre-ordered at another store and are now selling with a markup of up to 40,000yen which is around $450!

I've finally had a chance to have a good play of mine and it's awesome. Got 2 games atm. Ridge Racer 7 and Resistance:Fall of Man (FPS). Both are very good. It's a great system though.

wireless controllers

wi-fi net

card readers

60gb HB (upgradeable)

blu-ray

3.2GHZ processor

etc etc

how much more upgradeable can you get from 60gb?

also, were the games more expencive seeing as there on blu-ray?

also, are the games longer? or just better graphics?

also, are the games longer? or just better graphics?

The size of the disc doesnt detirmine how long a game is.Ive played longer games on the ps1 than alot of the stuff thats coming out on ps2 now. One of the big reasons for making games shorter these days imo is online play. The designers will usually sacrifice 1 player length for online play. eg Starwars battlefront 1 & 2 The 1 player modes in these games almost feel like an afterthought. The last decent 1 player game with any length that I played was GTA San Andreas. Its a shame there are not more out there

haha, yeah you will be waiting a while I think. :wave: Demand for them is nuts right now. Even in japan stores are making with massive mark-up. and over here we wont see them for another 5 months.

Can't comment on the length of the games yet. but the two games I have at the moment are pretty sweet. Cost is hard to compare as I bought them in Japan. I think the games are around $70 there. but over here will probably be in the $110 region I think. as for hard drive upgrage well I'm guessing however big you can get an HD. So at the moment a 150 or 200 GB drive wouldn't be out of the question.

There is simply no way ur 6800gs looks better then a 360 i have a dual core pc, 512mb 7900gtx, 2 gig ram and a 360 is still better.

for 6-12 months.. How many consoles have you guys owned? Do you remember when the original Xbox was the shit, and how the ps2 was meant to be the greatest thing since sliced bread with it's fancy "Emotion" engine, and 3 times faster than your PC? http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computin...ion.engine.idg/ -- doop, doop do..

12 months later PC's were starting to pull well ahead, 2 years on it, was "ok", 6 years on it's very dated.

It's just the natural cycle.

You also have to remember 1920x1020i is nothing special (a well specc'ed PC's will run tasty 3D games at that res, and have for 2-3 years).. and a lot of the PS3 and Xbox 360 games only run at 720p.. that's only about 1024x768 resolution of which is only minimum spec on a PC game these days.

That said, I'll buy a PS3 when it comes out as I like console games and just turning it on :)

yeah, PCs are great, and obviously move forward at a faster rate. consoles like PS3 are cutting edge when they come out, but yes of course will be bested by PCs in a year or two. That's not really the point though.

Anyway, PS3 is still keeping me happy.

3.2mhz CPU

seperate GPU

256mb ram and 256m Vram

wireless b/g (dissapointed no a)

bluetooth (all controllers and remotes now wireless)

CF, SD and mem stick reader

60GB hard drive

4 X USB ports

wired ethernet card incase you dont have wireless (sif)

and a blu-ray disc playing capability

plus it's now whisper quiet (unlike the noisy ass PS2) so using it to watch DVD and BDs is a real option.

Also has in built browser etc, and if you are so inclined you can run linux on it.

pretty hard to beat really for the $$$.

lol, smart man! I've played both and the PS3 is whole new generation. It's amazing how cheap 360s are in Japan now. $350 for a new one.

The only downside at the moment is lack of games, but that will change. And on the plus side the two games I have now are awesome, and both have on-line support.