SAU Community

How do you guys afford such nice cars?!

Gee does this thread make me feel old. I remember reading this thread back on 03.  :huh:

LOL... me too....

Alot has changed tho...

I now have 2 houses and an apartment and a R33 S2....

Only owe the back 350k atm and have over a mill in property...

Rent payments keep my other house and apartment from the banks grip and my house is paid as per usuall.... I also put $100 pre week towards my car as i borrowed 15k to buy itand insure... (Traded my old hr31 also that made up the other 10k)...

Now im looking to buy another house mid next year....

Yeah you need money to make money but im only on 60k per year less tax leaves me with 40k.... Partner is on about the same...

We dont live on milk crates.... You need to get your work to work for you... Take a pay cut (salary sac) to get what you want... I wanded a 50" pioneer plazma so i got it.... My gf wanted a S15 GT so she got it...

Use the tax man to your advantage... Thats what i have learnt....

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mashrock

i am a gaming technician. i fix pokermachines and send them off for export.

the bank owns me.. my boss keeps taking me to veags and i cant save money for shit.

but i surely have a nice rack of clothes, a nice car, and a good debt. hahaha

heh... i've asked this question a few times in my head. I've just bought a 96 s2 skyline about 4 months ago, with lots of saving. I'm in an IT job, which pays ok now, but previous to this I was a computer tech making jack-squat for a 6-day week. I'm almost 25, and i've just been able to afford a 16K car.

Then I see kids asking simple technical questions on how to fix their R34 GTR in these forums... it usually ends with something like "I want to get this fixed before my formal!". Crikey!

I re-read Mack's post back in 2003, and i'm curious as to whether he was paying any rent to his poor parents who drive the "crappy VL". I started paying rent since I was 18, and it's still cheaper than moving out, although I plan to do this next year anyway. Your parents had to buy a house, support you, send you to school for 14 years, buy your clothes, food, electricity, water etc etc etc, and they're probably still paying off their debts to have you alive. I certainly wouldn't be sneering at MY parents house or car.

I'm still convincing myself that these younger blokes are just much more intelligent than me, worked harder at school/uni, and have a job that pays them what they deserve... thus giving them the disposable income that they have for buying cars and mods.

I'll be pissed if my split-personality learns that they're getting these things given to them. =-]

hey champ just come on for me 2c worth

21 own my 97s2 gtst outright, i am also building a house so i saved money for deposit and all that shit

i still live at home, i dont pay board, but on the same token ive never got hand outs for cash

ive got everything from hard work and commitment, i am a plumber and earnt good coin from cash jobs etc, for about 7-8 months when i was an apprentice i worked 7 days week in week out. i had no life, but was a small price to pay for all the spoils now!!!!

go a trade you can earn good coin if your willing to work

happy trails hans

hey champ just come on for me 2c worth

21 own my 97s2 gtst outright, i am also building a house so i saved money for deposit and all that shit

i still live at home, i dont pay board, but on the same token ive never got hand outs for cash

ive got everything from hard work and commitment, i am a plumber and earnt good coin from cash jobs etc, for about 7-8 months when i was an apprentice i worked 7 days week in week out. i had no life, but was a small price to pay for all the spoils now!!!!

go a trade you can earn good coin if your willing to work

happy trails hans

just outta curiousity, how much do plumber earn ?

just outta curiousity, how much do plumber earn ?

well well, it varies, hugely

a basic tradey in a maintence company is on about $25 hour

bout $800 a week after tax.sub contactors (doing own tax bas etc) are earning $45 an hour $1800 a week, work out own tax.

compare this to a 1st year apprentice earning $6 an hour on a good union inner city worksite

$200 a week

$100 site allowence

$50 a week travel

$50 parking allowence

$30 height allowence

$430 clear

i am in a small company of 3 guys and last year my boss made over 120K

and he does f#@! all now, well not tools related.

well well, it varies, hugely

a basic tradey in a maintence company is on about $25 hour

bout $800 a week after tax.sub contactors (doing own tax bas etc) are earning $45 an hour $1800 a week, work out own tax.

compare this to a 1st year apprentice earning $6 an hour on a good union inner city worksite

$200 a week

$100 site allowence

$50 a week travel

$50 parking allowence

$30 height allowence

$430 clear

i am in a small company of 3 guys and last year my boss made over 120K

and he does f#@! all now, well not tools related.

wow :) u earn more than i do and im a first yr uni grad, lol. thnx anywayz.

Just bought my 96 GTS-T/ 100% funded by loan, by the time I paid insurance and everything else, I had 14 bucks left from my $2500 limit credit car and like $100 bucks left in all my bank accounts before the next pay day lol

Live at home (90/week board though!), don't smoke, don't drink, don't club. I DO drive though :blink:

Already spent 2100 in fixes/mods though... eep. But then again, I've already paid off 8% of the loan in 3 months. Repayment is 650/month but paying about 1500 a month, so hope to pay it off in 18 months with only ~3K interest. All about sacrifices I guess, esp when you're not on 60K or have any other kinda assets to use.

I'm in IT too and ~50k. Anyone whose said there's no money in IT or the market is bad is either looking for jobs in the wrong technology (i.e. something on the way out or decreasing popularity) or is still too low on the food chain to complain! (e.g. me, in the field for only 2 years).

I had patience.

I've had the same car for 9 years (my Peugeot 205 GTI). Everytime you change cars you lose money through depreciation and stamp duty.

Don't spend money on crap like ciggys. Buy alcohol from bottle shops and not at the pub. Cook your meals rather than buy everyday. Shop at supermarkets rather than servos. Don't get fines.

Saved my money and bought two GTRs and a Bentley in the same year. Although I'm over 30 now.

Coincidently I've just moved into IT so now can I expect real money?

Edited by writeoff

Money obeys the ideal gas law - in other words it occupies the available space.

This means you always have enough money to do what you want. Provided you are part of the 95% of the population that don't fall outside the bell curve (either on the high side or the low side) you can always budget to afford what you want or need.

Okay this means sacrifices and trade-offs but heck that's why we have free will.

In my case I have a little poster on my wall at work with a picture of the R-32 that I want and 1000 little boxes underneath showing the amount of hours of overtime that I'll need to work to pay for it.

Every morning at 7.00 am I can cross off one more box, and when I leave at 5.30pm I can cross off another :-)

I had patience.

I've had the same car for 9 years (my Peugeot 205 GTI).  Everytime you change cars you lose money through depreciation and stamp duty.

Don't spend money on crap like ciggys.  Buy alcohol from bottle shops and not at the pub.  Cook your meals rather than buy everyday.  Shop at supermarkets rather than servos.  Don't get fines.

Saved my money and bought two GTRs and a Bentley in the same year.  Although I'm over 30 now.

Coincidently I've just moved into IT so now can I expect real money?

Depends what IT job you are doing. Its like with medicine, not all medical people get doctor's wages...

Besides, IT is no longer that "glamourous job" unles you are in management or doing contract work.

Basic IT job is with the helpdesk/desktop support, the normal salary for a helpdesk officer is 30-35 K... is that "heaps of money?" Please! :) Sure you get a lot of free time to do whatever you want and this is prolly why many people think IT jobs are godo for the money... a work mate of mine runs his ebay business while at work, so he gets 35 K at his work, and 15 grand a year from ebay... so 50 K all up.

What you all need to realise is that to afford nice things in life, one main job wont cut it unles you get over 40 grand a year. You need to find other ways to get rich, either dodgy or fair, I dont promote such shit as dealing drugs or robbing people... thats f**ked up... starta small business on the side, go small at first and expand if it allows... I got into a "personal coaching" business with 3 of my friends, and over a weekend I can make easy 250 bucks...I got a course this weekend coming up... but soon we are going to raise the price.

Dont sit on your ass, do something extra... get out there, Bill Gates didnt sit on his ass he tried to get his small business going!