SAU Community

Mag86's Skyline Project

Factory 5

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK... today I replaced the rear suspension.

now lowered with Bilstein Struts and Progressive rate spings, sourced from Japan via a few hands in oz :P

OMG.

It made a HUGE difference to the handling. in powering out of corners it just stays stable and grip is eleventy million times better.

previously it was:

turn, roll, throttle on, slide, throttle off, correct angle

now it:

turn, throttle on. hold on and SMILE..... :ermm:

OK... today I replaced the rear suspension.

now lowered with Bilstein Struts and Progressive rate spings, sourced from Japan via a few hands in oz :P

OMG.

It made a HUGE difference to the handling. in powering out of corners it just stays stable and grip is eleventy million times better.

previously it was:

turn, roll, throttle on, slide, throttle off, correct angle

now it:

turn, throttle on. hold on and SMILE..... :ermm:

thats sounds great! how is the chamber/toe like?

well I have some high profile 225/55/R16's on the rear, so i actually reckon there was POSITIVE camber!

now it seems more normal. definitly more grippppp

oh really? wat offset do you have? i have a set of 16's on but there made for FWD's 'FAIL' but they were cheap and good tread

btw is urs still running the l24e? and with a turbo setup?

• 5 weeks later...

Some progress this weekend. Sorted the radiator, got a few new hoses on order (delivery this week)

waiting on fabricator to send me the custom turbo compressor outlet,

have finished the loom for the microtech (need to keep a few wires connected to the L24e ECU though, to control the 'Thermotime' switch and the auxiliary air valve)

tested and cleaned teh VL turbo injectors, new hoses and clamps

cleaned up the fuel ral

got new bosch 040 fuel pump, gotta get new hoses for it

should have Radiator, thermostat, new hoses all installed this week, as well as the new injectors and microtech ECU. Car does run ok on the Microtecheven with the turbo tune on it.

next up will be finalising if i will intercool or not (with only 9 weekends to go till I want to do a testing weekend before running all the way to Skynats in Adelaide!) silicone joiners are getting cheaper, but the BEST ones are in the UK, and I cant get them to send me here in Aus! grrrrrr!

Some progress this weekend. Sorted the radiator, got a few new hoses on order (delivery this week)

waiting on fabricator to send me the custom turbo compressor outlet,

have finished the loom for the microtech (need to keep a few wires connected to the L24e ECU though, to control the 'Thermotime' switch and the auxiliary air valve)

tested and cleaned teh VL turbo injectors, new hoses and clamps

cleaned up the fuel ral

got new bosch 040 fuel pump, gotta get new hoses for it

should have Radiator, thermostat, new hoses all installed this week, as well as the new injectors and microtech ECU. Car does run ok on the Microtecheven with the turbo tune on it.

next up will be finalising if i will intercool or not (with only 9 weekends to go till I want to do a testing weekend before running all the way to Skynats in Adelaide!) silicone joiners are getting cheaper, but the BEST ones are in the UK, and I cant get them to send me here in Aus! grrrrrr!

you dont need the Thermotime switch or the auxiliary air valve, but its a little problomatic till it warms up a bit (no idle)

Nigel

Hey mate, sorry about the delay but I've got the outlet and it will be going express post tomorrow morning.

Should keep you busy for a little longer, sounds like it's coming along well.

Cheers Dan

No probs, I called your mrs this arvo to give you a hurry along!

I took a punt and ordered the silicone joiners today, hopeing they are all going to fit etc..... also got a supplier of stainless steel piping, at $38 per meter for 2.5 inch (63mm) and not many options here in Canberra...

I have decided to use the XR6 intercooler, its a good size, strong, great quality. its only let downs are the OD of the outlets, at 2.25 inch. so I have to get reducers to suit.

So there IS an action plan to have this all finished and tuned and ready to roll (as in tested and fixed etc) by August/Sept.

I got a big A1 sheet of paper and mapped it all out, with time frames and task lists etc.

More fiddling about today

f*kt my finger on the angle grinder, bloody dickhead not using gloves!

the loom is finished, 270cc injectors ready to plug in, fuel rail cleaned up

stripped back the 'TURBO' rocker cover, looks horn as all brushed/polished. But will be primering and painting later

got more bits on order (Silicone reducers and shiz)

scored a HUGE BOV, HKS< from jdm land. needs a good stripping but will look & perform great.

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy, work flat out, visiting family and all that stuff.

Microtech Lt-4 up and running as of 1:30am thismorning. -2 deg outside too.

It has the Turbo map loaded still, runs surprisingly well. On the turbo setup the dissy will be locked (no advance)

Roars alot more, without the bitch AFM and all that rubbish on the intake it just growls away.

Cold start is perfect, idles at 1100rpm and gradually comes down to 850rpm over 30 sec or so. Runs heaps smoother than the factory ECU.

Next on the list is the bloody heater core AGAIN (2nd one. they just break too easily). Im not replacing or fixing this time, just bunging in a coil of copper pipe in the fan ducting, and having a 'tap' like on the old holdens/fords.

Still to put in the reco Rad and new hoses. Auto trans cooler and new lines aswell. (Reco Rad is from Manual, does not have the trans cooler in-built)

Been busy, work flat out, visiting family and all that stuff.

Microtech Lt-4 up and running as of 1:30am thismorning. -2 deg outside too.

You tough bugger. No way i'm working on a car in -2 deg.

Good work. Hope to see (and hear) it round the 'berra.

• 3 weeks later...

Car is off the road agan. Injectors leak (like ooze constantly when there is fuel pressure)

very pissed off.

now i gotta waste more time re-doing the rail and hoses AND getting this oher set sorted out.

If this next set leaks, I will be even more discouraged, and wont hae time to intercool, or do all the other bits I wanted to have done for Skynats.....

most fking annoying to say the least

onegood thng is I have sold a few bits here and there to fund the extra parts. sadly my 16x7's are gone too-very sad ....

Now temporarily replaced with Z31 alloys with federal tyres, until aonther option is sourced.

tick tock tock tock

Car is off the road agan. Injectors leak (like ooze constantly when there is fuel pressure)

very pissed off.

now i gotta waste more time re-doing the rail and hoses AND getting this oher set sorted out.

If this next set leaks, I will be even more discouraged, and wont hae time to intercool, or do all the other bits I wanted to have done for Skynats.....

onegood thng is I have sold a few bits here and there to fund the extra parts. sadly my 16x7's are gone too-very sad ....

Now temporarily replaced with Z31 alloys with federal tyres, until aonther option is sourced.

tick tock tock tock

PM sent & text

very pissed off.

tick tock tock tock

What happened to the good injectors I sent you ?

Nigel

They were only 188cc or so (stock)

I was useing 270cc (browntop VL turbo) for turbo application.

yours didnt leak, they were used for about a week then I put in the VL turbo ones... which are the leaky buggers.

Will be getting some new screws to hold the next batch down (tested and cleaned and NOT leaking!) Probable will use RB type o-ring injectors with 7.5mm hose forced over, with a good clamp to keep it together