SAU Community

Mag86's Skyline Project

Factory 5

This is my 1984 RMR30 Ti Hatch project thread.

started 2006

going from asthmatic L24 EFI with an auto box with overdrive, to a L24et with VG30et and L20et management.

5 speed will go in once i blow up the auto...

Edited by MAG86

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This mite interest you... ***NEW*** RB20 BLOCK & HEAD

These are brand new in the box from Nissan Japan. (not reconditioned).

The block comes ready to be assembled with all machine work done to std specs, included is the cradle & welch plugs, $350.

The head is bare & ready to be assembled but does come with the cam caps, $350.

If you take both, $650.

Also have a complete RB20DET in bits that you can use to assemble the new engine, $350.

Nick, Ph 0416 283 194.

Im more leaning towards the L24et side of things ( for budget reasons too)

would i need to get new pistons for the new block? or would new rings on the old pistons be enough...

I am not really familiar with RB20's but can you give me a run-down on what i need to do to get the engine up and running, this is so i dont go spending thousands on extra parts later on down the track...

And is an ECU and loom included???

for a conversion there is so much needed on top of just the engine itself... a Half-cut would be more preferrable for an RB20 setup... thanks anyway!, im not saying no, just need more info!

Its not worth it. The block/head would be ideal if you were building a race engine, that HAD to retain a HR31 Skyline style intake manifold.

I received my KA24E throttle body last night, far out its got a big mouth!... I just need to give it a bit of a clean and ti will be as good as new.

I also now have eight KA24e fuel injectors, which i am unsure of the flow or impedance, im going to find out on antrx.com....

AND my exhaust manifold looks very similar to a turbo manifold... i really dont want to take shortcuts but it looks like it would flow pretty well with a turbo...

Ah well i'll keep going...

plan so far (engine-wise):

high flow muffler ( commodore one or something similar)

shielded intake and cold air piping

2.5" exhaust

L28e intake manifold (bit of porting maybe...)

ka24 T.B.

rebuild dizzy...

new vac lines

maybe a CAMSHAFT!!!!

remove air con (needs retro fitting and sh1t like that)

Top Feed Injector chart:

Engine Style Size Impedance* (high or low) Years / Models

Nissan KA24E Top feed 260cc High Pintara/Navara/Pathfinder 2.4/ S13

Nissan CA18DET Top feed 370cc Low S13

Nissan RB20DET Top feed 270cc High R32

Nissan RB26DETT Top feed 440cc Low R32/R33/R34

so i have 270cc injectors....

Would these be any good? or i might be after some from ghostrider :D

edit:

found this site... http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/injectors/index.html

very interesting site this one!!!

Edited by MAG86

Top Feed Injector chart:

Engine Style Size Impedance* (high or low) Years / Models

Nissan KA24E Top feed 260cc High Pintara/Navara/Pathfinder 2.4/ S13

Nissan CA18DET Top feed 370cc Low S13

Nissan RB20DET Top feed 270cc High R32

Nissan RB26DETT Top feed 440cc Low R32/R33/R34

so i have 270cc injectors....

Would these be any good? or i might be after some from ghostrider :)

edit:

found this site... http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/injectors/index.html

very interesting site this one!!!

if you using that with standard ecu gear. no go... You need low impediance.

Hunt down some vg30et injectors. They are 270-280cc low imedance. Im running them on my l20et. :D

Im on the prowl for a turbo ECU...

Im looking first for a 280ZXT (L28et) or a L20et...

I got in contact with a guy in the USA, this is his reply...

Hello Andrew,

I do have some turbo ecu and complete harnesses all wrapped up in boxes... They come from the same few turbo cars but since they are mixed up now I have no idea which goes with what. Do you know what the number on the ecu you need is? What about the harness, do you know what number on the sticker is? I definitely have what you are looking for but since I'm not an expert, it's hard to identify the correct matching set for you. Let me know if you can help with this.

Have a good one and I will wait to hear back from you.

"G"

SO:

Does anyone know the ECU part numbers?? and the "sticker" number on the loom?

Thanks again...

Andrew

Hi mate, are you aware that you'll need a spacer to use the 240sx TB with the factory throttle linkage (assuming you use the 280zx linkage and manifold)?

There's a guy on www.zcar.com user id pallnet that makes the spacers out of lexcan, does a good job. He also builds custom fuel rails, most of the guys on the US forum use 13B injectors in the L28ET's, probably a good option for you too?

Also I wouldn't worry too much about ECU, you can get fuel-only type unit (cause you'll be using your old electronic dizzy so no spark control anyway) pretty cheap. I used a haltech when I EFI'd my 260z, pretty ancient computer but did the job and alot less risky than buying an old stock ECU from US and hoping it all works. You might also want to check out megasquirt.

Im on the prowl for a turbo ECU...

Im looking first for a 280ZXT (L28et) or a L20et...

I got in contact with a guy in the USA, this is his reply...

Hello Andrew,

I do have some turbo ecu and complete harnesses all wrapped up in boxes... They come from the same few turbo cars but since they are mixed up now I have no idea which goes with what. Do you know what the number on the ecu you need is? What about the harness, do you know what number on the sticker is? I definitely have what you are looking for but since I'm not an expert, it's hard to identify the correct matching set for you. Let me know if you can help with this.

Have a good one and I will wait to hear back from you.

"G"

SO:

Does anyone know the ECU part numbers?? and the "sticker" number on the loom?

Thanks again...

Andrew

Have one at home (L20ET), because I run mine off a Wolf. I'll get back to you with a part#, or a price.

Top stuff guys!!

Ive looked into fuel only computers, most are pricey brand new, just gotta wait until a 2nd hand one comes up.

But the L20et ECU sounds like it could be a good choice for the minute... im not goint to run massive boost or go crazy at the moment... just gotta get used to it then start doing a bit more, like intercooler and sequential boost controller etc...

Is ther much risk of running lean (and detonating) on a L20et ECU? Could i add a variable resistor to the O2 sensor tricking it into thinking it needs more fuel?? (and tuning it to suit, or add a frequency control relay and have the resistor value change as the revs get hightr/lower...)

2400cc airflow versus 2000cc airflow... just thinking....

Actually, can also provide the L20ET AFM / airbox and a hand-built loom to suit the L20ET (loom probably would suit a L28 version as well - the ECU pinouts are almost identical to the L24E pinouts)

Be careful boys & girls, the L series turbo's require a matched set if your using standard bits.

The AFM & ECU both have to come from the same model, preferably the same car, but that's not so specific.

Likewise L28ET AFM & ECU also have to be a matched set.

And as for the 2 pinouts, they may be similar, but they most certainly are 2 entirely different plug designs. The L24E utilises just 1 long plug and the L20/28ET utilises 2 separate plugs.

Cheers, D

The ECU I used is 22611-05L10. It has the same single plug connection as the L24E. (It does actually say L20 on the label as well.)

And the L20ET came with a big electronic dizzy, which we replaced with a "conventional" one. So this may well be the wrong ECU for a true L20ET, but it ran the engine.