SAU Community

Mag86's Skyline Project

Factory 5

Which wrecker? I know the big Nissan / Toyota / "every Jap car" wreckers in Clayton had a S2 a while ago.

The extractors probably won't hurt. As for the camshaft, the 260C was just a Joe Average family saloon. The cam won't be anything to write home about. Probably wouldn't pull the skin off a cold rice pudding.

If you are after camshafts, you really need the 240Z shafts, or maybe a 260Z. Have a chat to Lindsay at Z Shop in Glen Iris - he's bound to have heaps of them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more parts are starting to pop up....

my mate has a mr30 with a L24et... and he says its an import engine??

he bought it 2 years ago and hardly used it (it was going to be his project)

Anyway (depending on my finances and the condition of it all as i havent seen it yet)

he is selling it to me, complete and running (5sp) with a whole other mr30sedan ( l24e) as a spare!

For $1800....

Now the next question is how do i get it from Canberra to Melb? a trailer?

this is only a plan as i have not seen it or heard it running yet. just seeing if its worth driving all the way up there yet...

OR

Get one of you guys to check it out for me???

its too good to pass up, 2x 5 speed mr30's and one's a turbo... for under $2000

Edited by MAG86

aNOTHER QUESTION.

I have found a wrecked 300ZX turbo, i am hopefully getting the turbo off it, and i was looking at the diff ( only briefly) and its MASSIVE an R230... 230mm means its a nissan 9 inch doesnt it? does anyone know if the are an LSD, and would it be an option for my MR30?? ( as i can get it chap as chips...)

aNOTHER QUESTION.

I have found a wrecked 300ZX turbo, i am hopefully getting the turbo off it, and i was looking at the diff ( only briefly) and its MASSIVE an R230... 230mm means its a nissan 9 inch doesnt it? does anyone know if the are an LSD, and would it be an option for my MR30?? ( as i can get it chap as chips...)

It is my understanding the R230 diff is the viscous LSD short nose and is not suitable for the R30, but if it's an R200 long nose mechanical it should be fine, BUT what you going to use for half shafts?

VG30 turbine assembly will be far to big for your L24 and be laggy as!

Cheers, D

It is my understanding the R230 diff is the viscous LSD short nose and is not suitable for the R30, but if it's an R200 long nose mechanical it should be fine, BUT what you going to use for half shafts?

VG30 turbine assembly will be far to big for your L24 and be laggy as!

Cheers, D

yeah...

i knew half shafts would be a problem... i may aswell keep saving for the r200 L mech...

didnt you reccomend a vg30 turbo not too long ago?? im getting confused!

yeah...

i knew half shafts would be a problem... i may aswell keep saving for the r200 L mech...

didnt you reccomend a vg30 turbo not too long ago?? im getting confused!

I'm using a VG30 hi flo but on L28 that is likely to be about 2960cc.

I think an RB25 would be better suited to the L24 but cost plays a big part. If you get the VG30 for a song, make sure it has virtually zero free play in the shaft, because if it doesn't the rebuild cost can be astronomical.

If it was me and the VG cost SFA I would put up with some lag.

Cheers, D

I have found out there are 2(?) kinds of L20et ECU's

One has a long plug, and the other has 2 smaller plugs,

Is this true?

And which one should i be looking for?

Cheers,

Andrew

The L20E ECU has the long single plug, identical to L24E & the L20ET had 2 smaller plugs, same as L28ET ECU's.

Let me get home on Thursday and I will take some pics of both types and post them, so you know more.

Cheers, D (Ghostrider)

The L20E ECU has the long single plug, identical to L24E & the L20ET had 2 smaller plugs, same as L28ET ECU's.

Let me get home on Thursday and I will take some pics of both types and post them, so you know more.

Cheers, D (Ghostrider)

two smaller plugs ? Mine has three all up

i better be careful with what i look for then...

i will request a part number from seller, to clarify.

someone told me R31 disks and calipers are an easy fit to the R30, is this true?

i read something about toyota hilux fit too,

I know the breaks i have now will NOT be enough with a turbo setup...

i better be careful with what i look for then...

i will request a part number from seller, to clarify.

someone told me R31 disks and calipers are an easy fit to the R30, is this true?

i read something about toyota hilux fit too,

I know the breaks i have now will NOT be enough with a turbo setup...

Put discs on the rear and all will be honky dory. Your going to need my HR30 master cylinder and a Ti hatch rear end. That's trailing arms and rotors & calipers & hand brake cables.

I had an engineered L24ET in NSW and the 4W Disc Brakes were considered adequate unless of course your planning racing this gadget and then it's an all new can of worms and lots of dollars.

Cheers, D (Ghostrider)

Holidaying in sunny Mt Tamborine

Put discs on the rear and all will be honky dory. Your going to need my HR30 master cylinder and a Ti hatch rear end. That's trailing arms and rotors & calipers & hand brake cables.

I had an engineered L24ET in NSW and the 4W Disc Brakes were considered adequate unless of course your planning racing this gadget and then it's an all new can of worms and lots of dollars.

Cheers, D (Ghostrider)

Holidaying in sunny Mt Tamborine

I already have a Ti Hatch! It has disks all round yes, I was just unsure about insurance or engineering etc...

The reason the brakes feel so crap is the master cyl. is leaking, and i guess it could do with some good pads.

I found this the other day, sounds pretty interesting...

This guy got his LPG L24et running some serious figures...(and killed that many parts its almost funny)

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/wardr/ <----- SAVE THIS PAGE, VERY GOOD READING

"...I have put in KYB front inserts from a z31 300ZX and a standard KYB R31 rear shocks. This has brought the car lower by 30mm which is almost un-noticeable, and improved the handling substantially. I also added a strut brace of my own design. The difference was astounding.

I also needed a brake upgrade, and with that a wheel increase to accommodate the larger diameter discs. A visit to my local Datsun/Nissan wrecker had a set of R31 discs and callipers in hand for $130. These fitted straight on, after a precautionary rebuild, without modification. A chance call into Jap Parts at St Marys had my eye firmly fixed on a set of 15 inch Skyline R32 non turbo 11 spoke rims. As these are 4 stud rear wheel drive they would bolt straight on. My decision was made easier when the price was cheaper to buy these rims (with tyres) than to replace the 195 x 75 x 14 tyres on the car!...." END QUOTE

And keep us posted Stagefumer, I have some things lined up, but it all takes time.

Let me know FIRST ok!

oh and the L24et Sedan in Canberra, well i got someone to check it out, it was all a big rush...

But the car looks shagged, the engine looks like a 'whack it together and see' kinda job

no way is it worth $1800, 324,000km plus... ripped out interior...the paint is cracked, faded, and scratched beyond repair... cracked windscreen, ITS A SHITBOX....

but i still wantsome engine parts, but i can jsut fork out all that cash right now, especially since i cant do shit with the body etc

If anyone wants to crack a deal with me for sure... its got a 5speed which is a plus...and a 2.5 inch exhaust ( which is melting the cv boot )

attatched is a pic of my hatch, which i payed $400 for (AND IS SUPRISINGLY QUICK FOR AN AUTO!)

, then his sedan, which he wants $1800 (and i only want some of the parts....)

post-32896-1169590498.jpg

post-32896-1169590851.jpg

post-32896-1169590975.jpg

post-32896-1169591521.jpg

post-32896-1169591880.jpg

100_5083.MOV

Edited by MAG86

I already have a Ti Hatch! It has disks all round yes, I was just unsure about insurance or engineering etc...

The reason the brakes feel so crap is the master cyl. is leaking, and i guess it could do with some good pads.

This guy got his LPG L24et running some serious figures...(and killed that many parts its almost funny)

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/wardr/ <----- SAVE THIS PAGE, VERY GOOD READING

"...I have put in KYB front inserts from a z31 300ZX and a standard KYB R31 rear shocks. This has brought the car lower by 30mm which is almost un-noticeable, and improved the handling substantially. I also added a strut brace of my own design. The difference was astounding.

I also needed a brake upgrade, and with that a wheel increase to accommodate the larger diameter discs. A visit to my local Datsun/Nissan wrecker had a set of R31 discs and callipers in hand for $130. These fitted straight on, after a precautionary rebuild, without modification. A chance call into Jap Parts at St Marys had my eye firmly fixed on a set of 15 inch Skyline R32 non turbo 11 spoke rims. As these are 4 stud rear wheel drive they would bolt straight on. My decision was made easier when the price was cheaper to buy these rims (with tyres) than to replace the 195 x 75 x 14 tyres on the car!...." END QUOTE

And keep us posted Stagefumer, I have some things lined up, but it all takes time.

Let me know FIRST ok!

oh and the L24et Sedan in Canberra, well i got someone to check it out, it was all a big rush...

But the car looks shagged, the engine looks like a 'whack it together and see' kinda job

no way is it worth $1800, 324,000km plus... ripped out interior...the paint is cracked, faded, and scratched beyond repair... cracked windscreen, ITS A SHITBOX....

but i still wantsome engine parts, but i can jsut fork out all that cash right now, especially since i cant do shit with the body etc

If anyone wants to crack a deal with me for sure... its got a 5speed which is a plus...and a 2.5 inch exhaust ( which is melting the cv boot )

attatched is a pic of my hatch, which i payed $400 for (AND IS SUPRISINGLY QUICK FOR AN AUTO!)

This car you refer to is a friend of mine in Adelaide and I can tell you this, at 200kph on Braidwood Rd it goes like stink and stops marginally fair in my opinion, for the Dunnydore front brakes he has.

Cheers, D

Back home from hols in sunny Qld

Let me know FIRST ok!

If it was me i would buy the sedan and swap the turbo gear off the sedan motor onto your hatch motor and then put the hatch motor in the sedan but thats just me and i prefer sedans.

Lately there have been L24ET's poping up all ova Adelaide there's a guy on the R31 club who has a mate thats got a L24ET MR30 sedan and there was also a L24ET C210 in the trader

2007011405126fk.th.jpg

2007011404722ma.th.jpg

I have found out there are 2(?) kinds of L20et ECU's

One has a long plug, and the other has 2 smaller plugs,

Is this true?

And which one should i be looking for?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

The pics below are fairly straight forward, The single ECU is from an L24E and it's the same as an L20E, or an L28E and has a single long plug, same as your own now!

The tandem pic shows L20ET on top, and L28ET on the bottom and it has as Stagefumer says 3 plugs in total, as the long section on the ECU is split in the middle if you look closely.

It's these ECU's that your looking for, but only if you wish to stay stock looking. If you want to do the mod thing, just use an a/mkt ECU and none of it's necessary, not even the idle valves as it is all controlled by the new programmable ECU.

Cheers, D

If it was me i would buy the sedan and swap the turbo gear off the sedan motor onto your hatch motor and then put the hatch motor in the sedan but thats just me and i prefer sedans.

The turbo set up in the Canberra car is a bit agricultural, in my opinion.

I think it can be done a lot neater than that example.

Cheers, D