SAU Community

Tokyo For Autosalon 2008? Wanna Go?

rusk

Damn, great to see so many going, wish i know this in the first place. Im booked in as well, for 4 days in Toyko, flyin gin on the 10th, catch the TAS on the 12 and 13 and and bit of sight seeing then down to Osaka for 3 days to check out the car (VIPSTYLE) and I think Autobras is there ( help me if this is correct) and movie world, then Hong Kong for 2 days disneyland AGAIN ( that 2 in one week) and then fly back home.

I hope to see all that are going to TAS08 there, make a statement and I will be sure to spot you. See ya's there.

I highly recommend doing less disneyland and more local / cultural things unless you are taking your kids. Those places are the absolute last thing I would recommend when traveling as they are akin to opening your wallet and letting homeless people kick you while stealing all your money.

Unless you've been there and done it all before.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes tokyo disney is crap. I was taken there against my will by some friends a few years ago and even though I lied to the ticket lady and said I was under 12 and wanted a child ticket I still felt ripped off. Far better to spend a day somewhere japanese rather than some where copied from america (and a poor copy of the original).

yes tokyo disney is crap. I was taken there against my will by some friends a few years ago and even though I lied to the ticket lady and said I was under 12 and wanted a child ticket I still felt ripped off. Far better to spend a day somewhere japanese rather than some where copied from america (and a poor copy of the original).

I can't believe we actually paid 5,000 yen to get into that place.........

don't look at me! you were firmly in the pro-disney camp! and for sure, even at half price it was a rip. The only worthwhile part was seeing that 3 year old girl in full bridal outfit. lol.

No you have me mistaken, I was in the pro lets-stacks-on-the-guy-in-the-monkey-suit camp

Remember this kid?

tigerkid.jpg

I'd be upset too if my father dressed me as a character from Winnie the Pooh

^^^^^^ GOLD! Hey im about to book my accomm but how do i go about it?

Do i just call them up and book or email?

I assume payment wont be needed until i check out correct?

Dave, you will more than likely have to pay upfront to secure your accomodation.

No you have me mistaken, I was in the pro lets-stacks-on-the-guy-in-the-monkey-suit camp

Remember this kid?

I'd be upset too if my father dressed me as a character from Winnie the Pooh

lol. yeah he was gold. the immovable object. his dad was trying to haul him off but he just lay there like a dead weight. nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked my accom,and so far i have only paid for the Tokyo stay,the Osaka stay i pay when im there.

So total so far for the trip is around 2k which includes flights,accomm and travel insurance which i think is bloody cheap for 13 nights.

I bought 4 TAS online which is cool.($15 each compared to $25ish for the Sydney one go figure lol)

Will have to get JR passes for the two weeks which i think is $300 per week could be wrong.So its all coming together.

Just over 12 weeks away and cant wait.

Hey Blitz what do you and the guys have planned while over there as im in the process of trying to fill my days while im there.

Just over 12 weeks away and cant wait.

Hey Blitz what do you and the guys have planned while over there as im in the process of trying to fill my days while im there.

Drinking, eating and parts shopping. Visiting people and workshops.

Where'd you end up booking accommodation wise for Tokyo?

We're going to stick to Shinjuku probably. Although I prefer Shibuya as a central location just cuz im more familiar with the restaurants around. They're only 2 stops apart on the Yamanote though so it's fine for most nights i spose. These are probably the two most exxy parts of Tokyo though. :thumbsup:

Drinking, eating and parts shopping. Visiting people and workshops.

Where'd you end up booking accommodation wise for Tokyo?

We're going to stick to Shinjuku probably. Although I prefer Shibuya as a central location just cuz im more familiar with the restaurants around. They're only 2 stops apart on the Yamanote though so it's fine for most nights i spose. These are probably the two most exxy parts of Tokyo though. :thumbsup:

ummm.. no they are not.

no Kris, he's right. shibuya and shinjuku may be up there in price but I heard adams back passage is actually the most expensive part of tokyo. as in he has to pay massive amounts of yen for anyone to go in there. :)

no Kris, he's right. shibuya and shinjuku may be up there in price but I heard adams back passage is actually the most expensive part of tokyo. as in he has to pay massive amounts of yen for anyone to go in there. :)

lol..i heard yours was the cheapest and its free for anyone to enter..2 for the price of one last time i heard was it bb?? :(

or was it bring a friend and they can come in for free? :happy::P

i suppose i shouldve elaborated but i dont always have the time. No need to get your knickers in a knot...

in Shibuya there are some great 300 yen bars, and that for each beer and anything you want to eat.

i prefer shibuya to shinjuku anyday of the week. Its easy to navigate and pretty much everything is there within spitting distance from the station.

Shinjuku itself is just too big...station can be a nightmare to navigate ( although its okay for me, ive been using it almost everyday for 3 years ) and places can therefore be hard to find. Having said that friends and i have found many cool places to go there but you would be struggling to think of one of the top of your head thats cheap, attracts the girls, and has easy access.

Shibuya doesnt have that problem. Shimo kitazawa, 10 minutes out of shibuya is also a great place to go drinking. It has a ton of 2000¥ 2 or 2 1/2 hour nomi houdai ( all you can drink ) bars right close to the station. very crowded with friendly locals.

Yeah that's great and all. I'm talking about accommodation, decent accommodation. Not drinking locations. I totally agree its cheap to drink around there and there's a lot of entertainment but to stay in a place that is not a cockroach motel is more expensive as it is very central.

But having said that I am getting good amounts of hotels around the 8,500y off peak 10,000y on peak price for a small room so it's manageable.

Yeah Shibuya rates over Shinjuku in my book any day. I usually stay in the Cerulean Tower in Shibuya as it can't be beat for convenience and it is a very very nice place. Across the road from the station + direct limo bus service from the airport.

But at 25,000 - 30,000 per night for a twin its stupid expensive and only worth it if someone else is paying.

edited.

sewid, i dont like the way you addressed my post.

あなたは 日本通?? じゃ 気にしないで。頑張ってね。

じゃね。

Edited by m3gtr

Hey guys

I'll be over there for most of Janurary and hear you talk a lot about Shibuya and Shinjuku

Was looking at the Shinjuku Star seemed to be fairly central Hotel and going by tourist blogs seems a good spot for a base .

Whats Shibuya like cheaper grog nightlife etc. ??

Know of any good hotels there up to 150K/night

Haven't been there for 20 years so any help would be appreciated.

Would't mind meeting up with some fellow SAU members while I am there

ONYA

Mike