SAU Community

350gt Tv And Sat Nav

GT-R LM

hey chris,

no offence taken... I was just posting up info for those who might want to get it done there and also if you are going to spend that much money building a carpc or getting one built might be a better option especially in terms of scalability.. My car has video inputs in the car so I will probably stick to using them rather than fiddling with the stock setup.. have you had any experience with the $100 dvb-t boxes? They claim to get good reception even while driving...

I'm working on a $1600 turn key nav solution (fitted.) for it but I do see your point.

for $1k you can get a decent box and if you have the screen already you are set.

as for DVB boxes,I tend to steer clear of the $100 boxes due to relaibility. as for reception - if you are in a clear area and city based (IE no buildings , valleys etc) then it works fine. I have customers that expect residential reception at 110kmh and its not really the case. too many variables really. terrain being one of them. yes its a LOT better than analog signals but it still drops out.

if you get one for nix plug it in and you will see what I mean . external antennas help but its still not as claimed.

if you feel like a chat my contact details are in my sig :D

I'm working on a $1600 turn key nav solution (fitted.) for it but I do see your point.

for $1k you can get a decent box and if you have the screen already you are set.

as for DVB boxes,I tend to steer clear of the $100 boxes due to relaibility. as for reception - if you are in a clear area and city based (IE no buildings , valleys etc) then it works fine. I have customers that expect residential reception at 110kmh and its not really the case. too many variables really. terrain being one of them. yes its a LOT better than analog signals but it still drops out.

if you get one for nix plug it in and you will see what I mean . external antennas help but its still not as claimed.

if you feel like a chat my contact details are in my sig :)

chris, can i just ask a couple of questions about what you are getting organised..

is this a solution for those already with the nav screen, or does this add a separate screen?

what are you incorporating in this? gps only, or gps/dvd, or gps/dvd/tv?

cheers,

Warren

HI all, I got my 2002 V35 today and it is kick-a$$. Besides the point, it has the pop-up screen etc. and a DVD unit above the glovebox. Written on the DVD unit is "DVD ROM" and "Satelite Navigation". I am looking for a little clarity on info from earlier posts - will NTSC / Zone 2 DVD movies play on this system? (Zone 2 is the DVD region for Japan per http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html)

Also, I was unfortunate enough not to get a Japanese navigation DVD with my car - does anyone have one that I can have / buy, alternatively do copies work - I would like to show off abit and laugh at the nav's reaction to me driving off into the water!

Any help on either of these points would be faaaantastic!

Thanks,

Ben.

HI all, I got my 2002 V35 today and it is kick-a$$. Besides the point, it has the pop-up screen etc. and a DVD unit above the glovebox. Written on the DVD unit is "DVD ROM" and "Satelite Navigation". I am looking for a little clarity on info from earlier posts - will NTSC / Zone 2 DVD movies play on this system? (Zone 2 is the DVD region for Japan per http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html)

Also, I was unfortunate enough not to get a Japanese navigation DVD with my car - does anyone have one that I can have / buy, alternatively do copies work - I would like to show off abit and laugh at the nav's reaction to me driving off into the water!

Any help on either of these points would be faaaantastic!

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben the DVD doesn't play movies of any type.

The dvd's for 2002 are about 7.6GB so copying is a dual layer affair good luck if you can do it.

Not much point at the end of the day as you said all it is good for is seeing yourself driving in the water or somewhere in Japan.

Ben the DVD doesn't play movies of any type.

The dvd's for 2002 are about 7.6GB so copying is a dual layer affair good luck if you can do it.

Not much point at the end of the day as you said all it is good for is seeing yourself driving in the water or somewhere in Japan.

That is what I did Every day, See my self driving in the middle of no where in JAP.

If you like I can show you me ones. I am in sydney.

Therefore our overall conclusion is not able to do it? But in UK they are able to do it? why not us?

http://soarer.tv/jap-imports-sva/Nissan-35...Conversions.htm

I have just bought the car today, but not yet try anything yet. I have no idea how the UK people did theirs.

Any idea guys? After all the effort that has been done on your 350GT?

Does anything work with low cost? less then 600 dollars?

Therefore our overall conclusion is not able to do it? But in UK they are able to do it? why not us?

http://soarer.tv/jap-imports-sva/Nissan-35...Conversions.htm

I have just bought the car today, but not yet try anything yet. I have no idea how the UK people did theirs.

Any idea guys? After all the effort that has been done on your 350GT?

Does anything work with low cost? less then 600 dollars?

They are using something like a VDO or Blaunkput Nav system and feeding it into the OEM screen. You wont get one for under $600 but the guys to speak to are Brian from Autotainment in Perth and Chris from Audio Express in Brisbane, these 2 guys seem to be the only ones that really understand the challenges we face with these systems.

A mate of mine got a Tom Tom and stuck in on the screen that was a solution for under $600.... :laughing-smiley-014:

They are using something like a VDO or Blaunkput Nav system and feeding it into the OEM screen. You wont get one for under $600 but the guys to speak to are Brian from Autotainment in Perth and Chris from Audio Express in Brisbane, these 2 guys seem to be the only ones that really understand the challenges we face with these systems.

A mate of mine got a Tom Tom and stuck in on the screen that was a solution for under $600.... :laughing-smiley-014:

Can not agree anymore, I read that link, when I saw: Remote control, I give up the rest.

I don't want to lost my trip computer display.

cheers

Has anyone got just the TV to tune with the stock controls?

I would very much like to have the TV working - not all that interested in the satelite navigation.

Edited by Birth

Has anyone got just the TV to tune with the stock controls?

I would very much like to have the TV working - not all that interested in the satelite navigation.

Channel 7 sound only is the best you will get.

in short no. on way to do it is to rework it. (TV) as for nav not for $600 - the nav alone is a LOT more than that. UK guys are doing what I am. if you are going to be a tightarse then a tom tom is the go along with a spare glass when it gets stolen...

I have put a fair bit of time into this and the end result will be worthwhile for a lot of people.

I need a local 05+ model for a test case - if you own one in brissy or surrounds pm me.

tom,

putting this in for the ones that 'think' they can do this. the later ones are CAN. I know about the CAN lines into the TV unit. those lines also loop through the NAV and toll card.

you and I know what we are looking at - most here probably do not.

Chris,

I've still got the Japanese toll thing on my dash. Does this mean I can't simply remove the thing?

Do I need to be careful of anything?

Cheers

Bobby

Chris,

I've still got the Japanese toll thing on my dash. Does this mean I can't simply remove the thing?

Do I need to be careful of anything?

Cheers

Bobby

no- leave it there. it complains if its removed. been there done that.

no- leave it there. it complains if its removed. been there done that.

Cool thanks mate.

I might look into trying to relocate it though, cause it's on my dash, which doesn't bother me, but some low life might thinks it's something worth smashing a window for.

Thanks again

is this the toll thing in the upper glove box? isn't that hidden from sight?

or are you referring to another toll thing in the car?

Here's a pic with the thing I'm talking about, just above the clock, and air con display. It talks to me every time I start the car, and the compliance guy said it was the toll thing, without a card in ti.

post-194-1186391508_thumb.jpg