SAU Community

Shitty Series 1 R34 Interior Plastic Paint

Old thread I know, I don't like the texture of the trim in my GTT, so I can across this thread. I wanted a nice smooth wipeable finish. Anyone tried these yet from what Ive seen the texture is still the same?

Not shiny smoothe but before I redid mine in real carbon I used hi temp cast iron engine paint

Looks like a titanium colour matte finish think it was motormate or vht

You can get titanium silver krylon but my intake plenum is painted that colour and it would be crazy sparkles on the dash , way to blinding

the cast iron paint can be clear coated if you want some gloss and smoother ? a damp rag cleans it fine dabbing it ?

Carbon for the win lol

Im trying to avoid carbon or anything aftermarket. I don't mind the OEM color but the texture make it difficult to clean dust or dirt. But I started taking if off with simple green and its the paint that creates the texture that I don't want so the problem is probably resolved. This is my 1st interior DIY already jacked up one piece the rest is coming along. Im going to need some filler though.

Ok what is "metho" I'm an American living in Japan.

I used paint thinner on one piece which cracked it and simple green on the rest. The simple green and 400 grit and it came off pretty easy.

Sprayed it flat black, might spray it again if it doesn't look good installed.

Mentholated spirits is metho ,( I'm from usa ) like alcohol based cleaner thinner

Simple green is rare find down under ( bunnings sells it now for australian who want a good product )

Sand it

Wax and grease remover it

Plastic pore primer paint( for dashes and plastic bumpers )

Then spray it so it wont fall off

The cast iron paint is very close to factory gtt series 2 gauge colors which look way better the that crap in series 1 cars had( and is heat proof bonus) cars can exceed 80c in summer !!

Abs plastic ( dash parts)can and will melt with some paint thinner type products , wax and grease remover is safe , must use it or paint will fish eye !! dash protector overspray exists and oily skin fingerprints ruin paint jobs

Matte paint requires special cleaning care or it gets shiny /spotty looking

Edited by Carbon 34

Thanks

Everything is done and back together with the help on my friend who does custom car A/V.

Every thing you mention plus some is exactly what we did to fix the triple gauge cluster.

The paint does look better but Im not sure how easy it will be to clean than before cause the texture is not a what I was hoping for.

Prior to painting it was perfect, they sprayed something on it they referred to as "surface" after which it look like it was fresh from the factory but smooth. If he doesn't work out I'll just strip it again and the the paint shop sort it out since it was rather cheap just for the spray.

Thanks

Everything is done and back together with the help on my friend who does custom car A/V.

Every thing you mention plus some is exactly what we did to fix the triple gauge cluster.

The paint does look better but Im not sure how easy it will be to clean than before cause the texture is not a what I was hoping for.

Prior to painting it was perfect, they sprayed something on it they referred to as "surface" after which it look like it was fresh from the factory but smooth. If he doesn't work out I'll just strip it again and the the paint shop sort it out since it was rather cheap just for the spray.

If you got more then a satin texture its not the right paint ? And you can always satin or gloss clear it to get rid of the physical texture but retain the background metal look ? just a thought ?

• 2 weeks later...

how do you get the trim off ?

Safe way remove door card , flip over and undo the screw , use care the nose breaks off easy, drop switches off by the silver screws and black one with clip

Other doors pop out but better to do it with cards off so you dont break them

I personally like the stock look of the paint. It does melt off and become sticky in the sun over time if left out for extensive periods, but my way of fixing it is just put all the parts, put it in a freezer and freeze it for a good 30 minutes, take it out and let it sit to room temp and voila! Good as new.

I personally like the stock look of the paint. It does melt off and become sticky in the sun over time if left out for extensive periods, but my way of fixing it is just put all the parts, put it in a freezer and freeze it for a good 30 minutes, take it out and let it sit to room temp and voila! Good as new.

how often would you need to do that but, I'd imagine it would only be a temporary fix?

as opposed to taking it all out at once & painting so it's fixed for good. you could replicate the look of the stock paint with a flat grey

I've only done it once in the past 6 months. It hasn't wanted to melt of yet after sitting in the sun for a bit. Feels like new, even if I try to scratch it off, its not as easy as it would if it was melting off.

• 5 months later...

console_zpsd653765f.jpg

sorry for the crappy quality, bad lighting in the garage!

Had a bit of trouble getting the AC control surround off, mainly the clips around the temp control knob. Just snapped it open and glue'd the clips back after lol.

lol thanks,

It's a shift extender with a solid short shifter base. The knob i got a while ago separately.

makes it that much more fun and easier to shift :D

Hey mate, did you use powerplus tungsten? If not which colour is that you have on there? Looks good. Has any of it peeled or cracked without a clear coat also?

Cheers

Hey mate, did you use powerplus tungsten? If not which colour is that you have on there? Looks good. Has any of it peeled or cracked without a clear coat also?

Cheers

Nah i couldn't find the tungsten, they had none in stock. I just chose something that looked similar, it was called Sandstorm (Holden sandstorm is the same thing also). No cracks or anything, and no clear either.

Nah i couldn't find the tungsten, they had none in stock. I just chose something that looked similar, it was called Sandstorm (Holden sandstorm is the same thing also). No cracks or anything, and no clear either.

Sweet as thanks for the reply. I brought Tungsten today (last one on shelf!) Have used thinners to clean back the surface and gave it a light sand. Will prime it tomorrow, only doing ash tray and gear console surround at this stage, when I take my head unit out and replace it will do that part then. Good to know its all sweet without clear coat, looks great