SAU Community

Shitty Series 1 R34 Interior Plastic Paint

it needs to be sprayed .. trust me it's easy. What's more, don't use any primer OR clear coat ..waste of time and both just screwed it all up for me twice. Primer was coming thru paint for some reason even after several coats and the clear coat makes everything too damn shiny and reflective ..looking cheap.

yeah thats what I used .. matt black powerplus paint from supercheap auto. Looks nice after you remove old paint (literally soak it in metho and use green scrubbing wire thingy as Dan said) and do 3 coats and NO FRIGGIN CLEAR!!

yeah the factory sticky paint is pretty shit .. trust me it's an easy job if you just do it properly. Removing the console is piss easy as is removing that sticky paint as it comes off like nothing when you dump the parts in metho and scrub...

I just cleaned off the sticky paint off the door handles as well using metho instead of painting them as it's a pain in the ass to remove those bits from the door trim and they look 10x better.

If you keep it simple, you can do the whole lot in a couple of hours and have a perfect result. Just buy a big can of powerplus (plastic) paint in matt black and a bottle of methylated spirit, pair of rubber gloves and some green scrubbing pads/wire - comes to less than $40 all up.

But do learn from other peoples mistakes ie. DONT just paint over that old sticky paint, use metho to remove it - it's easy. DONT use primer, it's pointless. DON'T use clear coat unless you like shiny surfaces that reflect light and look cheap.

Yeah Delta is right, take the sticky shit off...takes minutes with metho. The final product is only as good as the surface preparation

Also I didn't use clear coat over the Power Plus "Desert Rose" I wanted it more matt/semigloss like factory..so avoided any gloss.

Another tip, when priming use the primer sparingly as *ANY* pooling of primer will eat the plastic trim as it has massive amounts of Toluene as solvent, you'll get what looks like crazing and cracking in the surface.

Take as much time as you can, don't rush, be patient and everything will go great.

its still a work in progress as I've been changing my centre console around ... and I still need to replace my AC fascia next week which is when it should all be done.

I'll take a couple of piccies though this arvo .. the triple guages are done as is the stereo fascia, my vents, gear surround and AC still need to be redone though (gear surround and vents are with clear and look too shiny)

I used thinner yesterday to remove all the crap off the plastic peice near my gear.

Looks plain grey, thinking what colour to do it?

Any recommendations if im planning to get the interior done in tanned leather ?

MRXTCZ

Its gonna' be ..

Front seats, Rear Seats, Centre Console, Gear Boot, Handbrake Boot, Roof with Downlights, Dash, Steering wheel, Floors..

So yeah ..

lols

MRXTCZ

anyone done this on a r33, and what preparation is needed, the surface of the plastic is fairly rough, any one recommend what sand paper to use, if any.. thanks

the r33 should be even easier as it's all just one single plastic bit that goes from centre console around the dash cluster, I've seen many people who've done it so i can't imagine it being any harder.

Just remove the old paint with metho, if the surface feels very rough try a bit of fine sandpaper ie. 1000+ grit and paint.

man this has been such a pain in the arse experience all around for me .. as I'm a bit of perfectionist and I've now repainted all the bits 3 times with 3 different colours and I've FINALLY found one that I really like ...

I've decided on PowerPlus Black Matte for triple guage pod, vents and AC fascia. Two coats of it, no primer or clear and it looks really nice .. very similar to the dash colour so it blends in nicely.

For the handbrake surround, and 2din stereo fascia and the door bits I've finally settled on Powerplus TUNGSTEN -- farken awesome colour! It's a silver metalic with a slight greenish hue ., hard to explain but it looks awesome.

Couple of tips for people still intending to do this:

1) if you're gonna use Powerplus sprays, buy the small cans (150g) rather than the big ones ..so much easier to handle and shake. It's VERY important to shake the can hard for atleast a minute before using and during use otherwise it spits out some gooey clear crap that ruins the surrounding paint. The smaller cans are slightly more expensive but so much easier to handle and shake and less chances of that gooey crap coming out (didnt happen once to me with the small cans but happened 2-3 times with the big ones)

2) matte black (powerplus) without clear is really nice for the triple guages/vents/AC ...don't use clear, it looks the gays. Like spilled fish and chips all over your dash...

3) door trims are piss easy to remove - I don't remember who said it was hard, but they musta been doing something wrong. Well, it does help that I've seen the audio installer guys do it the other day .. took me literally 5 mins to take off both door trims and disconnect the wires, without breaking anything.

4) use methylated spirits to remove factory paint or if you dont like the paint you choose .. soak the plastic and scrub with some green household scrubbers. Shit comes off so easy it's not funny. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES though cause the crap eats your skin and dries it up..my finders are still sore. Best to get a packet of those single use ones and just discard everytime you've cleaned onc piece in order to not contaminate paint when handling finished pieces....

I'll post some piccies in the next day or 2 ... still need to redo my vents/ac tommorow. I've done and redone my console bits so many times now I've got the feeling if I had to redo it all it wouldn't take me more than 90 mins to do the whole car :cheers:

took everything out and got it all ready for some new paint :P with some help from ''delta force'' (thanks)

1 question.. i want to do my air-con vents i.e the two things on either side.. i tried taking them out but i dont want to break anything.. anyone know how to do it??

took everything out and got it all ready for some new paint :P with some help from ''delta force'' (thanks)

1 question.. i want to do my air-con vents i.e the two things on either side.. i tried taking them out but i dont want to break anything.. anyone know how to do it??

Just put a flat screwdriver in the left hand side gap between the vent and trim and push to the left a little bt ..the clip holding the ventsshould pop out and you can pull it out; it's very easy.

Speaking of which i've totally screwed up my airvent fascia with the clear coat and trying to take the clear coat off and will need to get a new one from wreckers ;) oh and dropped the ashtray and it broke too ... clumsy idiot.

well ill be doing mine starting tonight. wish me luck lol

seeing as i work it will give the paint some time to dry out nicely during the day between coats.

starting today will carefully pull everything out. my main concern still is the climate control bit but will bite the bullet and ye will try not to break anything lol

colour ill be going for is nice and simple matt black. was actually thinking about piano black which is a nice rich wet looking black really looks the part but ye i dont know if that would suit atm since the interior is still stock. once the polished dash rings are in might change the color but ye Matt black it is.

With the CC the best way to do it is to remove the facia part of it, pull the temp control knob off and undo the bolt, unclip the plastic facia.

On a firm surface with light pressure, push the clear plastic LCD cover from behind, if you heat the plastic slightly with a hair dryer it will loosen the glue holding the screen making it very quick to do.

Unclip the shroud behind the temp dial. Slice the tabs holding the red and blue temp indicator plastic, push them out. You'll now have just the facia making it a breeze to paint as it doesn't need any masking.

When fitting again put some small dots of super glue on rim where the plastic LCD cover fits, that'll hold it back again, same for the temperature indicator plastics, put them in then blob hot melt glue over the tabs you cut, perfect!