SAU Community

Diy:diff Shimming For R33 Gtst

Trust33

mate, diff shimming is a really bodgy way to go about it. I thought I would give it a go at first and i threw in a few shims and it pretty much became a locker but it only lasted for a few weeks and was back to opening up again.

If you intend on taking your car to the skid pan its not going to cut it. It might work for straigh line or burnout action when both the rear wheels are loaded pretty evenly, but as soon as you try and drift it it will just spin the inside wheel...

Preload shims are not meant to be used to "tighten the LSD" all you are really doing is forcing the gears into each other and binding them up, but after a while they will eat away at each other until it opens up again.

If you are going to go to the effort of pulling your diff out and opening it up, your best bet would be to take the centre down to a local diff shop and get them to weld it up...I have had peg legers, shimmed lsds, 2-ways and lockers and after all of that I would now take a locker every time.

Mine was welded by Diff Technics at Kogarah and it has been able to take heaps of track days with constant 2nd and 3rd gear clutch dumps with over 300kw and its going strong...

On the street its really not that bad, bit of wheel skipping around tight corners but who cares, better than all the clunking and rattling of a mechanical LSD...

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

just put my diff in on the weekend after i cut open the viscous unit and put new gel in it, and the results are great for such a cheap option, also chucked in one 1.4mm shim definately worth doing if you have the ability to do it

just put my diff in on the weekend after i cut open the viscous unit and put new gel in it, and the results are great for such a cheap option, also chucked in one 1.4mm shim definately worth doing if you have the ability to do it

Didn't realise you could put new gel in, how did you do it?

#@Rolls i cut it open on the lathe like one of the members did a few pages back and cleaned all the plates up and re packed it with the same gel he bought. only been in for a day so far will be interesting to see how it lasts, does do skids quite well though

Edited by minxy74

How do you make sure it is straight when you weld it back together?

According to the guy tat previously did it, by using a drive shaft.

As per photos on page 8 of this thread.

Make me keen to cut mine open.

that was all i used to do the job place the drive shaft in it and weld about 2cm at a time i got it to within 0.01mm, seems to work good been driving driving with it for three days now and wasted a pair of tires, works really well