SAU Community

Fuel Pump In R33

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure he is mechanic? are sure he is not a downy?

040 Can be done easily, just requires common sense and locating the clamps correctly so they don't hit the edges of the tank.

will the pump go to the bottom of the tank or nearly to the bottom?? it showed a pic of a bosch fuel pump towards the bottom of page 3, with a sock and hoses, thats an 044 not an 040 right? do i need to do this mod to my 040??? friggin lost here!

hey guys

i'm pretty new to this forum and just have a question for you guys in regards to fuel pumps.

in my r33 gtst, is the standard fuel pump loud?

because on mine, when you turn it on just before starting, you can hear the fuel pump wind up or buzzing.

so when you start it up, you can here it briefly buzz for like 10 sec or so then it settles down to a quiet note. when you rev the car up, the buzz comes back and when the revs drops back to idle, the pump continues to buzz for another 10sec then settles down to a quiet note.

anyone else out there with a similar pump sound.

Cheers Simon

will the pump go to the bottom of the tank or nearly to the bottom?? it showed a pic of a bosch fuel pump towards the bottom of page 3, with a sock and hoses, thats an 044 not an 040 right? do i need to do this mod to my 040??? friggin lost here!

The bosch 040 has a mesh filter at the base of the pump and no it doesn't need, and can't have a sock filter. The way to get 040's right is to compare the 040 with the stock pump on the bracket. The 040 can go as low as the top of the sock filter where the flexible plastic thing is. The pump sits about 4-5cm lower than the bottom of the bracket.

The bosch 040 has a mesh filter at the base of the pump and no it doesn't need, and can't have a sock filter. The way to get 040's right is to compare the 040 with the stock pump on the bracket. The 040 can go as low as the top of the sock filter where the flexible plastic thing is. The pump sits about 4-5cm lower than the bottom of the bracket.

you just made that very confusing...

how can the pump sit 4 / 5 cm below the bottom of the bracket?

my advice

get yourself a 044 from the trader section,

get your standard pump bracket and cut off the steel pipe that runs from the stock pump, as it will hit the 044,

print out the picture i posted,

head down to your local super cheap / sprint autos / etc and grab a replacment fuel sock from a v8 falcon.

show them the pic if theres any confusion.

head over to pirtek or similar and they will join the bits together with fuel hose.

theres no modification to the pump, and it still retains the mesh screen at the bottom of the pump.

as seen in the pic i removed the stock 044 banjo non return valve and fitted one from pirtek.

grab some decent hose clamps and a off cut of 1 1/2 fuel hose, put a slit along the hose and wrap it around

the new pump and clamp it on.

chop the plug off the power wires and crimp on 2 new terminals, and your done.

you just made that very confusing...

how can the pump sit 4 / 5 cm below the bottom of the bracket?

my advice

get yourself a 044 from the trader section,

get your standard pump bracket and cut off the steel pipe that runs from the stock pump, as it will hit the 044,

print out the picture i posted,

head down to your local super cheap / sprint autos / etc and grab a replacment fuel sock from a v8 falcon.

show them the pic if theres any confusion.

head over to pirtek or similar and they will join the bits together with fuel hose.

theres no modification to the pump, and it still retains the mesh screen at the bottom of the pump.

as seen in the pic i removed the stock 044 banjo non return valve and fitted one from pirtek.

grab some decent hose clamps and a off cut of 1 1/2 fuel hose, put a slit along the hose and wrap it around

the new pump and clamp it on.

chop the plug off the power wires and crimp on 2 new terminals, and your done.

The bottom of the pump sits 4-5cm below the bottom of the bracket.

Is that better.

044 is overkill for a mild gtst.

Chop the bottom of the bracket off, simple. There's always mods to be done to the cradle when fitting an 040 in every single skyline. r32, r33, r34 it doesn't matter all require chop chop to the fuel pumps cradle.

I consider a mild GTST something with an aftermarket turbo; 250-260rwkw is easily achieved with an aftermarket turbo so it could be debated that an 040 which is nearing its limit at 260rwkw is a little underkill so to speak.

i bought the bosch 044 and Sard 720cc injectors just last week and im aiming to get around 250rwkw out of my r33 gtst. i reckon its better to get a fuel pump or the whole fuel system for that matter thats a little over kill cos then ur never running it at max and with a good tune shouldnt be using more fuel.

i installed an 040 in ucd15r33's 33 a few weeks back. if i had had all the tools handy (instead of waiting for people to go to peoples places and get them) i could've done it in about half an hour. the only bit i had to cut was the base of the L shaped bracket, and in the end i ended up bending it back and fowards till it broke cause i got sick of waiting for someone to find me a saw.

i didn't have to cut the hose (the metal one at the top of the bracket). i just butted the top of the pump up against it and had the stock bit of fuel hose over them. as for the base of the pump, i had the base of the bracket lined up with the writing on the pump (about an inch from the bottom of the pump). this lets it sit down nice and far. dan has had the fuel gauge down to the top of the letter E without any surging issues. and it isn't noisey at all. you can't hear it when you are driving.

Well.... the bosch 040 went in today after some unkind words and a gestures to my mechanic. I left the workshop this morning after telling him one final " It fu@#ing will go in, just do it!" I returned mid way through the day to find it had been done-finally! it isnt noisy at all! and i had less than a quater of a tank of fuel when i drove out of there- but did head on to the servo after about 20mins of driving, hope it didnt give everyone else a headache like it did me LOL! cheers all, Damo

• 2 weeks later...

This is what my 276 Tomei pump looked like when I bought it last year, I had installed it in my RB25DET 180SX, and my mechanic rewired the power wire going to the pump from a boot mounted Optima D34 Yellow top battery reading 14volts.

My setup goes from positive terminal of the battery in the boot through 12gauge wiring to an in line 20Amp fuse, to a 40amp horn relay as seen below. When turning the key from Accessories to the ON position, the pump makes a loud prime sound for a second, then goes quiet. That sound is loud enough for most people to turn around and wonder wtf that sound was :laughing-smiley-014:

When the car is running I can hear the pump over the 3" exhaust easily, both inside and outside the car. Does anyone else with a Tomei pump experience this much noise? I've read of people saying they insulate the pump with rubber - but I assume this is just for external pumps. Is there something you can do with internal pumps to quieten the sound?

1707011lt1.th.jpg.1828285ts5.th.jpg

Edited by silman

Go back one page in this thread (to page 3)

There's a pic of a Bosch 040 leaning against a tire with a kids hand in the background

That is surrounded with some sort of rubber tubing thats been slit down the sound and put around the pump.

He claims it to be nice and quiet so maybe try that?

Make sense to me....

Yeah I had a look at that picture, but that rubber looks a bit dodgy to me.

I just went and purchased some rubber that will not break apart when it is in fuel, it's called Neoprene Rubber, and I purchased it from Clark's Rubber at Browns Plains, Brisbane. It costs $20 per meter x 15cm high by 4.5mm thick. It also comes in 3.9mm thickness for a bit cheaper. It feels similar to the silicon Intercooler pipe couplers, but it is not the same material.

As a test, I put the tube of an old rubber tyre I had at home, in a small container of petrol to see what would happen to it. After 20 minutes the rubber expanded by about a 1/4 in size. I bent the rubber and it snapped in half. I also did a search on some other forums to find that people had tried whatever they could find around the house as a noise insulator for there in-tank pumps only to check it later and find it had all broken away :thumbsup:

I also placed the Neoprene Rubber in the petrol, and it did not expand, and it did not collapse when I bent it.

More info on Neoprene's strength, noise and electrical isolation properties here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoprene

I only wanted 25cm's worth of the 4.9mm Neoprene rubber so it was only $5 :rolleyes:

1828292kd6.th.jpg

*Edit* I have now installed the rubber around the in-tank pump, it is better done with 2 people. Make sure you sweep the entire area free of any dirt that might be in the boot. I also came to find that the o-ring wasn't seated properly hence why I could smell fuel vapour in the car at times. The prime is not as loud anymore, and I'd say sound has been reduced by about 25%. The pump is quieter inside, but still noisy outside. This is in a 180SX, it should be quieter again in a Skyline.

I had to bend the pickup pipe slightly away as the 4.9mm rubber couldn't fit in between the backing plate and the pump otherwise.

Edited by silman

Yeah I had a look at that picture, but that rubber looks a bit dodgy to me.

Dodgy huh...

how often are you planning on looking at your fuel pump?

once its installed who cares what it looks like!

have you got a pic of your non dodgy wet suit rubber install?

the hose i have used is 100% fuel and chemical rated inside and out.

that's why Pirtek sold it to me. cost $2

why would you try and use wet suit material when you can get proper fuel hose?

Dodgy huh...

how often are you planning on looking at your fuel pump?

once its installed who cares what it looks like!

have you got a pic of your non dodgy wet suit rubber install?

the hose i have used is 100% fuel and chemical rated inside and out.

that's why Pirtek sold it to me. cost $2

why would you try and use wet suit material when you can get proper fuel hose?

Looks like i've touched a nerve. It's not the look of the setup, it's the material I was referring too. The rubber you have seems to be one that is meant for a large sized hose, which has been cut down the middle, exposing the wire to parts of fuel I would suspect are not normally meant to. Not saying it's wrong, but it's not something I would want in my car.

As for Neoprene, you should conduct a search in google under Neoprene and Fuel before you bag that "wetsuit material"

I've just got clamps straight on the pump no vibration, rattling, excessive humming etc. You've just got to position the pump right so no part is in contact with edge of the tank. Also make sure the bracket is pushed all the way down into the slots.