SAU Community

Gtr Wont Fire After Turbo Faliure

G'day all having troubles with my 89 GTR

engine has done around 13,000kms since re-build

and the turbo's were highflowed 13,000kms ago aswell

Problem:

I blew a turbo the other day when launching the gtr

what happend:

took off in first changed to second them bang there goes the turbo exhaust wheel, along with smoke pooring out the back, then the car ran like shit then stalled (not sure if thats normal??)... all happend in about 15 seconds,

got towed home, then replaced the turbo with a stock one, after a shit of a time putting it all back together

i decided it was time to start it..

new problem:

car started but ran like shit

oil pressure is good

no smoke from the exhaust

so i left the car overnight.

went to start it today and it just winds over and wont fire it kicks a little bit but thats it.

checked:

checked the CAS and plug

checked the spark plugs

check AFM plugs

Checked fuel side of things just to be sure (except injectors)

checked all plumbing including bov's plumback system

checked everything that i removed to change the turbo over

checked fuses

checked error codes: *55* all good

even checked the battery

when it did start it seemed to run like it did when the turbo first blew....

the exhaust wheel did visually damage the exhaust sensor.. but dont think it would cause any trouble there.

im running out of ideas,

so any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

thanks

SAU.com Member: -GODZLA-

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so i found the engine was low on compression i wasn't sure what was causing it, so i kept putting oil down the cylinders to bring the compression up and it worked eventually, and the GTR fired up (but was blowing smoke for ages due to the oil of coarse) after leaving it running for quite some time and then driving it the smoke cleared away, so the i thought id try to put some more revs on it got to about 3,500rpm and then i heard a loud whistle and clink clink clink noise then smoke started pooring out the back again... so its blown another turbo..not sure yet if its the one i replaced or the one that was still ok!!

what a shit of a job pulling all that off again!!

if its the rear turbo again i wonder what is causing it to blow lack of oil to bearings? the oil line seemed fine and was pissing out oil when i removed it the first time.

bloody car!!! lol

My first concern is why it blew in the first place. lack of oil? incorrect oil lines fitted for the new highflow job? when u fitted the new turbos, did you use the highflow lines again?

also how was the compressor housing side when it blew? have u dropped the oil to look for metal?.

also you said the o2 sensor copped a hit visually it was damaged. i would change that. and as someone else mentioned. clean out the exhaust and cat. then check ur dump pipes, for cracks or holes, against the housings before the o2 sensor, it could be nothing but worth doing all the same.

sounds like ur having some bad luck., so good luck with it :P

parts of turbo normally get stuck in intercooler but it is possible for them to go further, try compression test first n eliminate things from there...goodluck

how do you suggest that parts of the exhaust wheel of the turbo get stuck in the intercooler?

Also to the thread starter,

Ok, so i found the engine was low on compression i wasn't sure what was causing it, so i kept putting oil down the cylinders to bring the compression up and it worked eventually

I don't understand this..

what exactly did you do?

Do you know for sure that the turbos were highflowed? If yes steel wheels should have been used . It Did you find the broken exhaust wheel? Sounds like the turbo you replaced was a stock ceramic wheel turbo and when it let go some of the ceramic dust got sucked back in the engine the scored the bores, this is why you have low compression .

or maybe the engine was built with low compression?

What compression was the engine built at?

What readings are you getting on the tester?

Also, as someone else said - what were the compressor wheels like?

Ok, so i found the engine was low on compression i wasn't sure what was causing it, so i kept putting oil down the cylinders to bring the compression up and it worked eventually

I don't understand this..

what exactly did you do?

Presumably to create a better seal and simulate a properly oiled bore? :)