SAU Community

Summary: Front Mount Intercooler Options & Piping Layouts

sl33py

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that would be more the go, but people put a LOT of time and money into designing the forward facing ones - I think most places would say it's not worth it if you can get a properly designed forward facing one. The whole "it's not worth it, just do what's been proven to work" element has stopped a few paths I might have gone down. You've gotta talk to some of the knowledgeable ppl on here and see what they think (don't consider myself one of them!) EG, I didn't know about the 120 degree bend pipe setup until I really looked into this.

I went the Blitz style simply cos it's got the least extra piping of the lot, ignoring forward facing plenums which involve more work (and money I don't have right now).

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah that would be more the go, but people put a LOT of time and money into designing the forward facing ones - I think most places would say it's not worth it if you can get a properly designed forward facing one. The whole "it's not worth it, just do what's been proven to work" element has stopped a few paths I might have gone down. You've gotta talk to some of the knowledgeable ppl on here and see what they think (don't consider myself one of them!) EG, I didn't know about the 120 degree bend pipe setup until I really looked into this.

I went the Blitz style simply cos it's got the least extra piping of the lot, ignoring forward facing plenums which involve more work (and money I don't have right now).

does the one you got use the factory piping?

im looking at getting one of these so i can still run the factory airbox, just a bit worried about using the factory rubber piping with higher boost.

It's being installed right about now, and yes it uses the stock piping. Should have no problems, I'll be using the stock airbox too.

I've found yet another style of FMIC piping but haven't had time to draw the picture: the intake runs up past the intake plenum on the side opposite to normal (so on the LHS looking from the front of the car), then comes backwards in a tight bend into the normal inlet.

• 3 weeks later...

You can use pretty much any FMIC with a straight entry and exit on either side for that setup - you just need a front facing plenum too, possibly some other bits. I guess you'd have to get ur mechanic to fab it up, unless you get a full kit like a Plazmaman. It may or many not be worth doing depending on your engine and existing/planned mods - there are other threads specifically about this.

Diagram 05 is awesome, thats what I am running on my R32.

Looks dead stock in the engine bay, also put stock air box in to give it a very stock look.

Didn't have to cut/move or break anything to fit it in and it doesn't even sit that low. I like it because the return pipe to the intake manifold always gets air and it stays cool, so its cool upon entrance to the intake plenum.

Also retained the stock guard lining as well.

Mine sits fairly heigh to be honest, you can see the bottom pipe through the front bar. Its a BLITZ kit, easiest and BEST mod I have ever done.

Nice write up mate, very informative!

can someone plz clarify this..im looking at getting a FMIC with same setup. does it really need no cutting or scraping work to install the ARC or blitz? and will it fit any front bumper..or might the bumper need work? and also has anyone tried cooling pro kit sold by justjap? its also set up as diagram 05 like the blitz lm.

Edited by taz2008

• 1 month later...

Perfect summary of Intercoolers an their different types! Love the Drawing! Planning on doing type 7 to my 34 with a G-Reddy plenum! Hopefully avoiding all the heat and keeping lag down

• 3 years later...

Hey I own a R32 GTST and have a custom RB20det plenum made up, its just a stock one with a pipe welded at the front converting it to a front facing plenum. I already have the blizt return setup, works ok but i want less piping to decrease lag and increase cooling. As Ben explained that style of plenum may mix up the air ratios, ive been told that by one tuner (who actually has a bad rep i found out). And another tuner Ben @ RacePace said the plenum will work well and that theory of un-even air distribution aka leaning out 6th cylinder is a myth. So Im keen to use the plenum and ditch the blitz return setup for a full custom setup. One big question im a little concerned about, Cutting a hole in the bottom wall that's under the battery tray. (to bring the intercooler piping around and through the hole up to the plenum rather than between the radiator and engine). Is this allowed? I was told that your car becomes a write off as its a "Chassis Alteration" even tho its a small 3" hole say. and you cannot see it unless inspected.

Im sure im not the only one wondering whether this is allowed or not... or maybe i am lol :/ anyway if theres any info about this issue or any of my custom setup please let me know.

Cheers :)

• 1 month later...

Is there much diffrance between actual intercooler and brand ect, Core size and what not, There seems to be so many brans and generic cores out there, i dont see there being any differance needed between a rb25det and a rb26dett.

Im im the market for one to suit my RB26dett R33 GTS4. No clue were to start.

just get a just jap one or something.. really depends on budget and what you are using the car for.

you can spend $150 for one off ebay

or buy a garret core for around $650 depending on core size then get a well know automotive fabricator to design / make end tanks,

end cost $1200 or there abouts

• 3 weeks later...

Would appreciate any info on installation of a Blitz return flow type kit into a 1990 32gtst, specifically wanting to know which parts of the front bar and metal supports need trimming moding etc.

Cheers Mike.

i got a 32 gts rb20det return flow blitz kit. no need to trim anything except the stock bumper. the mounting will be tilted so that u wont have to cut the reo bar anymore and wont have to trade off the safety that the reo bar provides. i will post some pics as soon as i find my cam. thumbsup.gif

i got a 32 gts rb20det return flow blitz kit. no need to trim anything except the stock bumper. the mounting will be tilted so that u wont have to cut the reo bar anymore and wont have to trade off the safety that the reo bar provides. i will post some pics as soon as i find my cam. thumbsup.gif

Excellent much appreciate that, I was even considering and aftermarket gtr f-bar but that was a last resort, as I don't like gtst's pretending to be gtrs.

Mike.