SAU Community

Summary: Front Mount Intercooler Options & Piping Layouts

sl33py

so got new piping and a bunch of other stuff done, tuned, driveable etc. Took it for a punt around in late December. low 20 degrees at dusk, check intake temps while taking it easy driving home: 45-50 degree intake temp.Thought that was a bit high, spoke to some people and they said check the intercooler.

Bosch style plastic temp sensor fitted just before the plenum. metal weld-on bung, all stainless piping.

IMAG1074_zps6clm1qys.jpg

2.5" piping, intercooler is 600x300x80, 3" inlet and outlet. Apparently its a PWR core "custom" made at Race Radiators in dandenong. Was spray painted black very roughly by me. Intercooler sits in front of a small oil cooler, and a custom radiator behind the oil cooler. Intercool is approx 12+ years old, few squashed fins but mostly in good nick.

1) do these intake temps seem acceptable for a small car cruising around at 80km/h?

2) does this intercooler seem quality? worth replacing for something $$$?

I cant think of an easy way to test intake temps before or after cooler for comparison. Need to get another temp sensor, wiring, weld-on bung etc.

IMG_20170408_144420_zpsai21v6x2.jpg

IMG_20170408_144426_HHT_zpsoxmhjvtp.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with kiwi. I'd be verifying that what the sensor says is correct. I've got a shitty return flow blitz in my r33 and the intake temps while cruising around are only a few degrees above ambient. Does heat up a bit at standstill but recovers quick when driving off again. My temp probe is in the j pipe around 20cm prior to throttle body.

Does the pipe get hot to the touch?

Same as above. I only see +15/+20°C above ambiant full throttle at high rpm in fifth gear on a no brand intercooler. Rest of the time it's barely above ambient temp.